Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:12 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,475 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm 5'10", ~170 lbs. Over the past few months, I've lost a good 20 lbs due to diet and exercise. My weight goal is to get down to about 160 lbs, where I was a couple years ago. I've really be hitting the gym hard lately, going about 5 days a week on average. Each day I go, I jog/run between 5 and 5.5 miles. According to my MapMyRun app, and the calorie burn counter on the treadmill, I'm burning about 670 calories during the hour-long run.

I feel like I've hit a wall though. For one, my appetite is insatiable. I'm hungry every couple of hours it seems. I generally eat healthy foods, usually those high in protein and fiber, but low on simple carbs. But I can't seem to break that 170 lbs threshold. Yesterday, I did my 5.5 mile run in the AM, and a 25-30 mile bike ride in the PM, and I woke up this morning having gained a pound. How is this happening?

Can you provide some tips for getting over this hurdle? What are some things I can do without starving myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 11:19 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,629 times
Losing weight is done in the kitchen, exercise is merely a supplement to that. You need to re-evaluate your diet.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:27 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
It would help to know if you are male or female.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
It would help to know if you are male or female.
Male

Old 10-21-2014, 11:32 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
The last few pounds are the slowest ones to go.

Are you taking body measurements? You may be gaining muscle and losing fat, for example getting a smaller waist measurement even when the scale doesn't change.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:33 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Start strength training and work in HIIT (high intensity interval training). On your jog add in some sprints. Go all out for 10 seconds than your normal or slower pace for 30. Do this several times. This is a calorie blast. Strength training is essential for any type of health or weight loss. You can do body weight moves to begin with. Push ups, squats, pull ups, planks, etc...
As for your diet try an incorporate more good fats and more protein. They keep you feeling full longer. Nuts and avocados are great. Eat full fat foods instead of reduced fat foods.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
. I'm hungry every couple of hours it seems. I generally eat healthy foods, usually those high in protein and fiber, but low on simple carbs. But I can't seem to break that 170 lbs threshold.
Its mostly about the food.when you get hungry every few hours what are you eating to satiate the hunger, define the healthy foods you eat at these times..

There is the possibility that your bodys ideal weight is 170 and thats where it wants to stay.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:35 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
Hi there,

I'm 5'10", ~170 lbs. Over the past few months, I've lost a good 20 lbs due to diet and exercise. My weight goal is to get down to about 160 lbs, where I was a couple years ago. I've really be hitting the gym hard lately, going about 5 days a week on average. Each day I go, I jog/run between 5 and 5.5 miles. According to my MapMyRun app, and the calorie burn counter on the treadmill, I'm burning about 670 calories during the hour-long run.

I feel like I've hit a wall though. For one, my appetite is insatiable. I'm hungry every couple of hours it seems. I generally eat healthy foods, usually those high in protein and fiber, but low on simple carbs. But I can't seem to break that 170 lbs threshold. Yesterday, I did my 5.5 mile run in the AM, and a 25-30 mile bike ride in the PM, and I woke up this morning having gained a pound. How is this happening?

Can you provide some tips for getting over this hurdle? What are some things I can do without starving myself?
Don't measure your weight daily. It can vary depending on a million different variables.

You mention simple carbs, but how many complex carbs are you having? You shouldn't be having any simple carbs. They digest quickly causing a spike in blood sugar and then a quick drop, causing even more hunger. Complex carbs are a gradual rise and fall, thus keeping you hungry longer. That's why 50g of carbs of oatmeal will keep you much more full than a 50g of carb candy bar. Not to mention, your pancreas will thank you for it's easier insulin production.

Also, have you been lifting weights, or just cardio? Cardio is great for your body and burning calories, but in the long run, building muscle will burn through more calories every day while sedentary and allow you to eat more. If you're just doing cardio, I'd suggest at least a couple days a week of good lifting to help in that aspect.

Lastly, why do you want to get to 160? Do you feel you looked better at 160 than 170? Could there be a possibility that you've gained some muscle in the last couple years which is making the 160 much harder to obtain?

Old 10-21-2014, 12:13 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
You may also be trying to eat too low a fat diet. More and more studies are beginning to show that low-fat diets don't carry the health benefits we believed in the past. In the end, you just starve. I eat less when I eat higher fat and the weight comes off. Though I'm in the camp that believes all calories are not created equal.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its mostly about the food.when you get hungry every few hours what are you eating to satiate the hunger, define the healthy foods you eat at these times..

There is the possibility that your bodys ideal weight is 170 and thats where it wants to stay.
Usually fruits (mostly apples), veggies, some nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts), tuna, hard boiled egg whites, edamame, and legumes (lentils, garbanzo, black). On occasion, I will have a dark chocolate with almonds to satisfy cravings for sweets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss