Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 07:42 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Anorexia is an eating disorder. Obese people now join 'fat pride' groups, so clearly don't agree with your view that they have a disorder, disease, or are harming themselves.
You do realize that there are Pro Anorexia (aka Pro Ana) groups all over the place, right? Anorexics don't agree with the view that they have a disorder either. Both are eating disorders.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:43 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,503,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
News flash: People with anorexia don't want to change either. The fact that someone doesn't accept that they have an eating disorder doesn't mean they don't have one. Did it ever occur to you that justifying the destructive behavior might be another symptom of the disorder? Or does that just step on your desire to keep disgusting yourself over people you don't find attractive?
As I said, whether someone is obese is none of my business. I don't equate obese with disgusting, but if you do, that's also not my business.

What I notice, In General, is that fat people don't consider the condition a mental or physical disorder and would consider you a fat-shamer by telling them they have one.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:51 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Touche!

I guess more generally, the question is would you just stay silent if someone you love was progressively getting larger and larger with the associated health risks?
Well say you are a smoker, would you want your family to tell you you are killing yourself? What about drinking, would you let your loved ones tell you you are a drunk? Some may, most may shrug it off. The only say things happen is if the person want to change.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:03 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,503,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
If they join those groups it's probably because they are sick and tired of other people feeling they have the right to chastize them for their weight whatever the reason. That's why people who are continually picked on by those who feel smug and superior to them form these types of groups. In the case of overweight people it could include people who are overweight due to genetic factors, overeaters or a medical disorder.

When I gained 60 pounds due to having to take Prednisone, I think I would have joined a "fat pride" group had I known they existed just be in the company of other people overweight like me.

I think the "pride" part of the "fat pride" group is how they feel about themselves as people, not just as "fat" people.
As the quote I gave before from the Mayo Clinic indicates, you and others with medical conditions causing overweight are the exception to the rule. As I also stated, it wouldn't cross my mind to shame anyone, regardless of the reason for their overweight.

I'm addressing the bulk of overweight people, who simply eat too much and exercise too little, then try to feel better about themselves with 'Health At Every Size' or 'Body Positivity' slogans.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:27 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
As the quote I gave before from the Mayo Clinic indicates, you and others with medical conditions causing overweight are the exception to the rule. As I also stated, it wouldn't cross my mind to shame anyone, regardless of the reason for their overweight.

I'm addressing the bulk of overweight people, who simply eat too much and exercise too little, then try to feel better about themselves with 'Health At Every Size' or 'Body Positivity' slogans.
Excuse me, but the "bulk of overweight people" don't try to justify their size with slogans. In fact, I'd go as far as saying people who do are an even smaller percentage of morbidly obese than those who got that way through medications or other conditions. Yet you've got no problem getting all bent out of shape over one while dismissing the other.

I think you need to go back to the drawing board on your motives, since your "percentages" argument is a pretty big fail.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:32 AM

564 posts, read 746,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Posts like this are a reminder that some people use their mouth (or in this case fingers) too much and brain too little.

My wife has struggled with weight ever since our first child. During pregnancy with our second child her thyroid was rendered essentially useless. It takes an immense amount of effort for her to lose weight and keep it off. It has been years of effort, setback, renewed effort and more setbacks. Judging by your post, if you saw her you'd assume she ate too much and moved too little. What you don't know is her margin for error (1 meal can erase weeks of discipline) or the effort she puts into her training. I'd love to see how much weight you would put on and how fast you'd give up on yourself if those two conditions could be replicated and applied to you. If you had her margin for error and had to exert the amount of effort she has to in order to shed a few pounds it would definitely change your perspective.

It is not simply a matter of "eat less, move more." For many it is a total change of lifestyle. If you want to go on assuming they are just making "bs excuses" that's fine. Some people are willing and able to think critically about the matter, and so to them I ask that they consider the complete lifestyle change comment. Think about what that really means and how it may apply to someone who struggles with a weight problem. They may be putting in far more effort than you've ever had to.
Your reading comprehension is astonishing bad, so I say that there are indeed some people that are fat because of factors they can't control but that these people are a very tiny minority and most fat people are fat because of their own fault and you reply to me that I'm wrong because your wife has thyroid problems. Well, then she would be included in that tiny minority I mentioned, wouldn't she? I'm still right about what I said, the huge majority of fat and obese people are fat and obese because of their own actions.

It's amazing how people in other countries face the exact same medical problems Americans face and yet are still thinner, so the "I have xyz medical problem, it's not my fault I'm fat" is just bs.

And I have to laugh at everyone crying about fat shaming as if it was happening everyday, everywhere at every levels of society. What fat shaming? Fat is the new normal, fatties are the majority of the population now.

I agree though that it's obviously stupid to go to someone who's fat and openly mock them, who does that? That's mean and stupid, but I'm not going to join in the "we're great, we're awesome, we're healthy and beautiful" type of mentality about fat.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:47 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,022,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
You do realize that there are Pro Anorexia (aka Pro Ana) groups all over the place, right? Anorexics don't agree with the view that they have a disorder either. Both are eating disorders.
The difference is there are active movements to ban these sites as they are actively encouraging unhealthy behaviors. A suggestion that Pro-fat sites be banned would be accompanied by allegations of discrimination or "fat shaming".

Are you saying being overweight is a psychiatric condition? Just to be clear I am NOT seeing this comparison. One is largely behavioural (eat too much, move too little) with the few exceptions for underlying medical conditions. The other (anorexia) is a significant psychiatric condition.

The more appropriate analogy is between anorexia and one of the conditions that cause weight gain as the loss of weight is a symptom of the psychiatric condition not the reason.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:48 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
Oh gosh, I disagree with this article on so many levels.

I have a current thread on C-D in another sub-forum regarding how certain medications can cause significant weight gain.

Fat shaming is NEVER a good idea.
I used to think most (not all) fat people were fat because they simply overate. Then I got a medical condition. Which is permanent. I can know relate and I have learned from this experience. That is all I can say. That said, while I will no longer judge the causes, the simple math remains. Calories in, calories out. If you lose mobility due to medical conditions or medication causes gain, you have to watch what you eat more carefully. If you care for a family, you owe it to not only yourself but to them, to eat more responsibly. Unfortunately you can no longer enjoy certain foods (umm dessert lol). That is life. It is not easy. I now also recognize that even then, that may not be enough to be a perfect magazine cover model!! I understand believe me!! But you have to try. Try to eat healthy. It's not a once a week thing it's a once a meal thing.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:52 AM

10,225 posts, read 6,312,506 times
Puerto Rico To Label Parents Of Obese Children “Child Abusers” | The Edgy Truth

Just one step from "fat shaming" to the above. I find both horrific, especially the latter.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:05 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
fatties are the majority of the population now.

I agree though that it's obviously stupid to go to someone who's fat and openly mock them, who does that?
Oh, the irony ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Are you saying being overweight is a psychiatric condition? Just to be clear I am NOT seeing this comparison. One is largely behavioural (eat too much, move too little) with the few exceptions for underlying medical conditions. The other (anorexia) is a significant psychiatric condition.
Overeating can be a symptom of an underlying psychiatric condition, most often depression; have you never heard of self-medication?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss