Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 05:08 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
We're not. We're just on the leading edge of a global curve. Worldwide, average weight keeps increasing - even in impoverished Third World countries. And increased consumption of highly processed foods seems to be the primary driver of the problem.

From the WHO's page on obesity (WHO | Obesity): "Once considered a problem only in high income countries, overweight and obesity are now dramatically on the rise in low- and middle-income countries, particularly in urban settings."

And check this out for more basic info: WHO | Obesity and overweight
Thanks for those stats and the link - that's interesting.

Note that the WHO supports what those of us that are getting jumped on here are saying (including reinforcing that shaming DOES NOT WORK despite the inflammatory title I chose for this post).

The distinction is important though, when the WHO talks about a "supportive environment" they are referring to one which supports healthy diets and exercise, not supporting people in remaining fat. The WHO also makes it clear that obesity is largely preventable and related to calories, poor dietary choices and a lack exercise:
How can overweight and obesity be reduced?

Overweight and obesity, as well as their related noncommunicable diseases, are largely preventable. Supportive environments and communities are fundamental in shaping people’s choices, making the healthier choice of foods and regular physical activity the easiest choice (accessible, available and affordable), and therefore preventing obesity.
At the individual level, people can:
  • limit energy intake from total fats and sugars;
  • increase consumption of fruit and vegetables, as well as legumes, whole grains and nuts;
  • engage in regular physical activity (60 minutes a day for children and 150 minutes per week for adults).
Individual responsibility can only have its full effect where people have access to a healthy lifestyle. Therefore, at the societal level it is important to:
  • support individuals in following the recommendations above, through sustained political commitment and the collaboration of many public and private stakeholders;
  • make regular physical activity and healthier dietary choices available, affordable and easily accessible to all - especially the poorest individuals.
If being fat is fine, and to be accepted, the second stage of strong political change is unlikely to occur.

Everybody needs to be fighting obesity (not the obese individually) so that the choices that enable young people to avoid obesity, and obese people to lose weight are easier to make. If people are going to be attacked for talking about the "individual level" issues the WHO raises (or if you have to be obese to be allowed to speak) then this isn't going to change.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:12 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
If being fat is fine, and to be accepted, the second stage of strong political change is unlikely to occur.
I thought you called that "blaming the man".

Old 06-18-2015, 05:15 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Yes!! And much of that driven by big ag, subsidized and modified corn and wheat production, and hormone fed highly processed animal products, all designed to produce high volume, low nutritional food that is centered on cheap, not healthy. And unlike the UK and Canada, our government not only allows it, they encourage it and strikes down any legislation that might get in the way of it. Human nature is going to go for the cheapest and easiest food source available. Of course, one might say that's just people not being accountable. But that's like saying a person should spend three hours a day walking to work and back instead of getting in their car and driving. One might be the healthier choice, but it's also completely unrealistic for anyone but the most motivated individual.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! The US gov't subsidizes wheat and corn farmers. THe vast majority of corn grown in this country is not even edible - it's used for corn syrup. The gov't makes it so that it does not make economic sense to grow things like broccoli. And nothing will change so long as all the lawmakers get out of bed with the large food manufacturers and companies like Monsanto. Those companies literally pay our lawmakers to keep our food supply unhealthy.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:27 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,035 times
Quote:
I thought you called that "blaming the man".
You're right. It's not anyone's fault BUT the system (which is NOT what the WHO says, but hey, LoriBe62 knows better).

Doesn't matter what you eat, don't bother exercising, it's a lost cause cuz it's too hard. In fact how do the 70% non obese people in the US get through the day.

I don't know why the profound interest in turning every obese person into a victim, unable to make a single choice about their own health, but you've worn me down. I'm off to the gym so I'll leave you to CityData.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:47 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! The US gov't subsidizes wheat and corn farmers. THe vast majority of corn grown in this country is not even edible - it's used for corn syrup. The gov't makes it so that it does not make economic sense to grow things like broccoli. And nothing will change so long as all the lawmakers get out of bed with the large food manufacturers and companies like Monsanto. Those companies literally pay our lawmakers to keep our food supply unhealthy.
Here in California, there is high demand for organically grown food. Even with an abundance of local farmers markets and fruit stands, even our chain grocery stores are now carrying primarily organic meat and produce. Thanks to our weather, outdoor activity is high, and it's a rare kid who isn't participating in some sort of organized sport from the day they can walk. "Healthy" fast food restaurants are popular here. There IS social pressure to live a healthy lifestyle, but it is through positive reinforcement and availability of healthy choices, establishing a "norm" of healthy living, and--yes--driving through pesky liberal tree-hugging legislation that "kills jobs and infringes on the rights of people to eat crap without consequence" in things like GMO labeling, snack tax, school lunch programs, consumer advocacy, and everything else our state gets made fun of over on a daily basis. What we've done here is make healty living cool and trendy, and we get a lot of flack for it from all the red states. But as a result, we are among the least obese states, and we manage to do it without turning fat people into pariahs. Like I said before, create a path of least resistance, and people will follow that path. When least resistance is a healthy option, that's what they'll choose. When it's an unhealthy option, that's what they'll choose.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:42 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Quote:
Here in California, there is high demand for organically grown food. Even with an abundance of local farmers markets and fruit stands, even our chain grocery stores are now carrying primarily organic meat and produce. Thanks to our weather, outdoor activity is high, and it's a rare kid who isn't participating in some sort of organized sport from the day they can walk. "Healthy" fast food restaurants are popular here. There IS social pressure to live a healthy lifestyle, but it is through positive reinforcement and availability of healthy choices, establishing a "norm" of healthy living, and--yes--driving through pesky liberal tree-hugging legislation that "kills jobs and infringes on the rights of people to eat crap without consequence" in things like GMO labeling, snack tax, school lunch programs, consumer advocacy, and everything else our state gets made fun of over on a daily basis. What we've done here is make healty living cool and trendy, and we get a lot of flack for it from all the red states. But as a result, we are among the least obese states, and we manage to do it without turning fat people into pariahs. Like I said before, create a path of least resistance, and people will follow that path. When least resistance is a healthy option, that's what they'll choose. When it's an unhealthy option, that's what they'll choose.
That's great. But for many people in most parts of the country, they do not have access to a farmer's market. A lot of poor areas don't even have a true grocery store, let alone a farmer's market. They are forced to shop at basically glorified convenience stores. And even if they did have a farmer's market next door, there's an issue of cost. A can of green beans is a heck of a lot cheaper than a pound of organic fresh beans. And they are shelf stable. When you live far from a store, or have to transfer to three different buses to get to a store, you are going to buy things that have a long shelf life and are cheap. The problem is much bigger than just buy healthier options. Because for a lot of people, they don't have that choice.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:47 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,139,411 times
I'll have to save the article to read later, but I can tell you this:

I'm not sure I'd use the word shaming, but I think it's disastrous that people have come to think that it's somehow mean or rude to even mention the subject to a fat friend.

I think that people should be willing to mention it occasionally, willing to occasionally offer suggestions or information, and quick to support any efforts to lose weight. For instance, if an overweight friend says he's thinking of joining a gym, a person could say, "I think they're having a special with discounted memberships at the gyn on Main Street - I'll check."

Old 06-18-2015, 06:49 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,098,104 times
As many have mentioned, it would not work. Even being kind and expressly concern would not work. For those that are just eating their way to "fat", it is an addiction and they won't stop any quicker than the ones using alcohol or drugs, etc. Sadly, it is too bad that it isn't as easy as shaming someone into positive change since it would certainly be easier than what they would have to do otherwise to make the needed changes.

I thought the PC term for "shaming" was "bullying" and that we considered that wrong.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:11 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
The problem is much bigger than just buy healthier options. Because for a lot of people, they don't have that choice.
And THAT is what we need to change! And we can change it if we as a nation truly want to, although we're going to face massive political pushback from the corporate food industry and from its useful idiot minions who reflexively chant "Personal responsibility! Personal responsibility!" any time someone tries to point out that this is a societal-level problem. When 70% of the population is classified as being above a healthy weight, and when around 2/3s of the population is ranked on an activity evaluation as either sedentary or very sedentary, relying on individual efforts alone is just p*ssing into the wind.

We have to devise strategies that work with actual people, not theoretical people. Plans built around what people can theoretically do, rather than how they really act, always fail. (Just Say No? Abstinence-Only Sex Ed? We all know what rousing successes those were!). We need to make eating a healthy diet and getting enough exercise easy, or most people simply aren't going to do it.

You know what the biggest advance in treatment of high blood pressure has been? The development of extended release versions of antihypertensive drugs. It turns out that people are much more likely to be compliant with their medications when they only have to take one pill a day instead of four. Who'd a'thunk it? Only folks familiar with human nature.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
shaming i dont think is helpful. like any compulsion over eating, if that is the cause, can be overcome thru counseling and 12 step. there are reasons that people self abuse. btw i was fat and now i am thin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss