Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 08:26 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Binge Eating Disorder (BED) is still up for debate. Sure it was in 2013's DSM-5 but people believe it is not a mental issues problem but rather an issue choice of choice. It's still very young for a classified illness so perhaps we'll know it as a true mental illness but for now it is not as generally accepted as say anoerxia or bulimia despite being like those a mental illness. http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/soc/facul...uyandgruys.pdf

One of the theories of BED (I use theory as we do need more research into it) is interesting to the topic of this very thread. Apparently people can end up having BED after hearing critical comments about weight as well as body criticism, ie: fat shamming. So by fat shamming say a Melissa McCarthy, you may in fact rather than "encourage her to be healthy" actually encourage her to become more unhealthy. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2719561/

I am not denying that BED is real or not, just that it is very new to being a mental disorder and things can change with research done over time. Right now, there is a lot of conflicting theories which actually made it somewhat controversial to be included in DSM-5 Remember at one point simply being homosexual was actually a mental disorder.
I work with eating disorders, exclusively and I can tell you BED is 100% real. The issues and difficulties those with BED deal are very similar to Anorexia and Bulimia. None of them are about food. Eating disorders are not about food. They are about power, control, anxiety etc...

The food consumption or lack of is a by product of the mental illness of an eating disorder. It's similar to a drug addict or an alcoholic. It's not about the drugs or alcohol, it's about the underlying mental health issue that drives a person to use a maladaptive coping skill.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:57 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,503,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Eating right and becoming more active DO NOT guarantee that a person will not become obese. They greatly improve the odds (and ALWAYS improve overall health), but some people will become obese even when eating a good diet and getting a reasonable amount of exercise.

Society has always had obese people in it. It's the steady overall shift of the weight curve to the right that has health authorities all over the world alarmed.
' nothing is certain except death and taxes.'

Eating right and physical activity don't guarantee anything. Eating bad and absence of physical activity almost certainly do.

Improving the odds is pretty much all anyone can do in many life choices.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:17 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I work with eating disorders, exclusively and I can tell you BED is 100% real. The issues and difficulties those with BED deal are very similar to Anorexia and Bulimia. None of them are about food. Eating disorders are not about food. They are about power, control, anxiety etc...

The food consumption or lack of is a by product of the mental illness of an eating disorder. It's similar to a drug addict or an alcoholic. It's not about the drugs or alcohol, it's about the underlying mental health issue that drives a person to use a maladaptive coping skill.
^^ THIS

If I'm not mistaken, it's in the category of other OCDs such as hoarding and compulsive shopping. Requires cognitive behavior therapy which can be expensive if you don't have insurance to cover it.

Is it the case for everyone who is overweight? Of course not. But who is the average person on the street to make that determination?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:40 AM

191 posts, read 163,624 times
No, it doesn't help. May even drive a person to eat even more in an effort to numb themselves or for comfort.

As for education, yes, THAT would help... and let's start by saying the conventional Food Pyramid should be tossed in the trash.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:48 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,503,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
None of which most people are ever going to do. News flash - there was NEVER a time in the past when the average person "exercised" (as in going out of their way to physically work out). In the past, people got the physical activity they needed in the course of carrying out their normal daily activities. THAT is what has changed, not the average person's motivation to work out (which was nonexistent in the first place).

And you'll get nowhere with it. But have fun chanting!
If I get nowhere chanting 'personal responsibility,' so what. It won't add fat to me. Good luck to those who choose to wait until 'society' or 'the nation' improves their diet or increases their physical activity.

Yes, plenty of things are 'in the past.' Folks who in the past who might have been farming all day or stacking shelves or doing all housework by hand might today be at a cash register saying thank you for shopping at X or sitting behind a computer getting carpal tunnel syndrome.

Usually, lifestyle changes accompany adapting to the present. Fat people who can but don't choose to lose weight by adjusting their eating or activities are responsible for their weight, not the village.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:51 AM

9,502 posts, read 4,336,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Because it's all about you? If you don't like something, people who do are ignorant/mentally challenged/insane, right?

I find exercise boring as well. But I can also tell the difference between subjective preference and objective reality. Because it's not all about me... or you.
Wow. That was easier than I thought it would be. I thought it would take multiple posts before I backed you health nuts into a corner, but it looks like it only took 1 post. Perhaps my assertion that exercise aficionados aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer wasn't too far off the mark after all.

Your (not you specifically, but fat shamers in general) own medicine doesn't taste so good, does it? A bunch of blow-hard windbags have no problem posting pompous diatribes criticizing fat people, but as soon as someone questions their chosen leisure time pursuits, they get all snifflly about it.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:53 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,672 times
I find this topic so entertaining.

When I was a kid, I was told I was fat from all the kids around me. I was fat. Back then, my parents and even the bullies parents made little of it. I stuck up for myself, and for the most part, ignored it.

Now all of a sudden its a big deal.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:12 AM

132 posts, read 149,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post

When I was a kid, I was told I was fat from all the kids around me. I was fat. Back then, my parents and even the bullies parents made little of it. I stuck up for myself, and for the most part, ignored it.

Because now we live in a hyper-sensitive society where everyone has these so called "feelings"

Kids making fun of the fat kid, while sad, it happens and always will.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:21 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times
Quote:

Perhaps that's because the behavior you are describing was done by kids who haven't learned any better, and now we actually have people encouraging ADULTS to behave that way?

Old 06-19-2015, 11:29 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
Quote:

And if you'd posted this on a thread titled, "We need to stop kids on the playground from teasing each other" your comment would be relevant. THIS one is about people trying to justify adults shaming other adults into losing weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss