Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 02:58 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,413,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Seemed like everyone was telling me I could eat all the fruit I want maybe looks good on paper like I thought real life different story.
That is horrible advice. People I know who say/think that are ALL overweight. ALL OF THEM!!! They just stupidly think fruit = healthy so they just load up on the stuff not realizing how much sugar they are taking in. The worst are the ones who make their "smoothies" that contain 5-6 servings of fruit in just one drink.

Fruit should be eaten at a minimum. And you MUST watch exactly how much you are eating. They are NOT "free food". The worse sugar content are the grapes though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 05:52 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
That is horrible advice. People I know who say/think that are ALL overweight. ALL OF THEM!!! They just stupidly think fruit = healthy so they just load up on the stuff not realizing how much sugar they are taking in. The worst are the ones who make their "smoothies" that contain 5-6 servings of fruit in just one drink.

Fruit should be eaten at a minimum. And you MUST watch exactly how much you are eating. They are NOT "free food". The worse sugar content are the grapes though.
Breeeeattthee, Kings, Breeeattheee....

I don't understand why fruit is given a bad rap though, God made veggies and those are good for you and healthy, and low in calories, so why is His fruit so bad.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:27 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Fruit isn't bad. Too much fruit is bad. And that amount varies by person.

I eat fruit, but not every day. Mostly strawberries and blueberries, but right now it's peach season and I love them so I'm having one every other day or so. I make my own unsweetened applesauce every fall, too.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:50 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
No, you can't eat all the fruit you want, if you want a lot of fruit. You can't eat a LOT of anything. You can eat modest portions of whatever doesn't make you sick. You said you had a "few" bananas over the weekend. That's more than one a day, and for someone who is concerned about his glucose levels, it's too much.

You really should have a talk with a dietician or nutritionist, to find out what is *healthy* for you to eat. You have a medical situation that requires advice from someone other than strangers on the internet.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:51 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post

I don't understand why fruit is given a bad rap though, God made veggies and those are good for you and healthy, and low in calories, so why is His fruit so bad.
Because the person asking about it has a problem with glucose, and many fruits contain a lot of sugar.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:59 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post

Fruit is not bad. However, anyone who is looking to keep their blood sugar stable should limit the amount of sugar they eat. Fruit contains sugar. Therefore, anyone who is looking to keep their blood sugar stable should limit the amount of fruit they eat.

Not everyone has to do this but anyone who is struggling with blood glucose issues should limit the amount of fruit they eat.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:31 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I think with my high AIC 6.1 I was diagnosed pre-diabetic my body has a tough time dealing with high fructose. I got back at my 6th month checkup and if AIC is still over 6 ill get metformin the doctors said that probably will help me lose more weight, but I hope I don't need it. It's only been about 100 days since I started i'm down 25 lbs so far maybe I just need to be more patent. Thanks for the tips glad I'm not the only one. Seemed like everyone was telling me I could eat all the fruit I want maybe looks good on paper like I thought real life different story.
Metformin would probably help you lose weight.

If you're looking for something that you can eat without limiting it, veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, cucumber, summer squash, eggplant will all fill you up and not mess up your weight loss efforts.

Berries are the best fruit for most diabetics, so it stands to reason they'd be a good choice for a pre-diabetic also.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:55 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,524,538 times
Fruit haves a lot of sugar. You can eat it but not in big amounts. I eat one pear every 2 days

Old 08-26-2015, 01:38 AM

7 posts, read 3,802 times
You need to include both fruits and vegetables in your diet. Since fruits contain a lot of nutrients, these are considered good for health. But consult a nutrition expert to create the best diet plan for you.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:01 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethcbrown15 View Post
You need to include both fruits and vegetables in your diet. Since fruits contain a lot of nutrients, these are considered good for health. But consult a nutrition expert to create the best diet plan for you.
You do not need to include both fruits and vegetables in your diet unless you are talking about the kinds of fruit that have very little sugar (like cucumbers and tomatoes). Sugar is not necessary for a healthy diet. The OP indicated that she is trying to control her blood glucose (sugar). Common sense tells you that since dietary sugar is generally converted to blood sugar she needs to reduce her intake of dietary sugar which means fruit.

Fruit is not bad for people who can tolerate the increased blood sugar. However, anyone with high blood sugar needs to cut back on (or eliminate) fruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss