Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:58 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I don't understand why fruit is given a bad rap though, God made veggies and those are good for you and healthy, and low in calories, so why is His fruit so bad.
"God" made a lot of things that aren't good for us, if you believe in that sort of thing. Maybe we can say "nature" instead.

But also, the fruit we buy in the grocery stores has been bred and cultivated to be extra plump, juicy, and sugary, and a far cry from fruit as it appears in its natural state. Compare a wild apple to one you buy at the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 08:33 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Reminds me of that old t-shirt from the 70s: "God made pot. Man made booze. Which one should you trust?"

But I digress. I like bananas for mid-morning because their density makes them more filling than some other fruits or snacks, and they aren't that sweet compared to most fruits yet they are sweet enough to keep me out of the candy dishes that a few people in the office keep stocked.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:37 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I don't understand why fruit is given a bad rap though, God made veggies and those are good for you and healthy, and low in calories, so why is His fruit so bad.
LOL if you eat anything just because "God made it", I'm wondering how you haven't poisoned yourself yet.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:46 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I think with my high AIC 6.1 I was diagnosed pre-diabetic my body has a tough time dealing with high fructose. I got back at my 6th month checkup and if AIC is still over 6 ill get metformin the doctors said that probably will help me lose more weight, but I hope I don't need it. It's only been about 100 days since I started i'm down 25 lbs so far maybe I just need to be more patent. Thanks for the tips glad I'm not the only one. Seemed like everyone was telling me I could eat all the fruit I want maybe looks good on paper like I thought real life different story.
I'm on this same path, and I do NOT want to go on metformin.

My high blood sugar was a result of treatment for my thyroid condition. I have a rare thyroid disease that caused my thyroid to grow into a cement-like substance that invaded my throat, surrounding my trachea and shoving it one side, surrounding my carotid artery, etc. I couldn't speak two years ago without sounding as if I was gasping for air because the opening to my trachea was so small. They thought it was just a very large thyroid with nodules until they went into remove it and found they couldn't because it was mostly white "cement" with soft tissue attached to it in such a way that it couldn't be separated. My neck had a huge growth visible in the front, moreso on one side than the other, but it was also growing inside. It could not be treated surgically, so they gave me high doses of prednisone to shrink the growth.

Up until then, my blood sugar was normal, but a side effect of prednisone is weight gain and high blood sugar. I gained 30 pounds in about four months, and my a1c shot up to 6.4. Eventually they had to ween me off the prednisone, and now I take tamoxifen (yes, the breast cancer drug) because that's the secondary treatment to keep the stuff from growing back.

I asked the doctor if I could try to get the a1c down with diet and exercise rather than metformin, and he said, "That's what I would do." So, I lost a few pounds between my January and May appointments, and my number dropped to 6.1. My next appointment is November. Since May I've lost about 13 pounds. Although I am working on the weight as part of the effort, my main focus is my health and getting that a1c down to normal by my next appointment.

I don't know about metformin helping people lose weight. The two friends I have who are on it are both seriously obese. Coincidentally, or maybe not, both of them like to brag about how they never eat breakfast. I can't not eat breakfast or I will kill someone out of raging hunger, but I don't really see how skipping breakfast is helping either of these people, and I don't understand how skipping breakfast is smart for people with blood-sugar issues.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:04 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm on this same path, and I do NOT want to go on metformin.

My high blood sugar was a result of treatment for my thyroid condition. I have a rare thyroid disease that caused my thyroid to grow into a cement-like substance that invaded my throat, surrounding my trachea and shoving it one side, surrounding my carotid artery, etc. I couldn't speak two years ago without sounding as if I was gasping for air because the opening to my trachea was so small. They thought it was just a very large thyroid with nodules until they went into remove it and found they couldn't because it was mostly white "cement" with soft tissue attached to it in such a way that it couldn't be separated. My neck had a huge growth visible in the front, moreso on one side than the other, but it was also growing inside. It could not be treated surgically, so they gave me high doses of prednisone to shrink the growth.

Up until then, my blood sugar was normal, but a side effect of prednisone is weight gain and high blood sugar. I gained 30 pounds in about four months, and my a1c shot up to 6.4. Eventually they had to ween me off the prednisone, and now I take tamoxifen (yes, the breast cancer drug) because that's the secondary treatment to keep the stuff from growing back.

I asked the doctor if I could try to get the a1c down with diet and exercise rather than metformin, and he said, "That's what I would do." So, I lost a few pounds between my January and May appointments, and my number dropped to 6.1. My next appointment is November. Since May I've lost about 13 pounds. Although I am working on the weight as part of the effort, my main focus is my health and getting that a1c down to normal by my next appointment.

I don't know about metformin helping people lose weight. The two friends I have who are on it are both seriously obese. Coincidentally, or maybe not, both of them like to brag about how they never eat breakfast. I can't not eat breakfast or I will kill someone out of raging hunger, but I don't really see how skipping breakfast is helping either of these people, and I don't understand how skipping breakfast is smart for people with blood-sugar issues.
I agree with you about the breakfast. I am Type 2 diabetic, and on a lose dose of metformin. I actually eat MORE breakfast than I used to, and weigh less! But I do a lot of exercise and strength training - having good muscle tone helps burn the glucose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss