Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 06:13 AM

4,567 posts, read 5,439,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Regarding the Tabata workout - what if I am physically unable to do those? I tried and it is soo awkward unable to get anything done =(
ANYONE can do tabata. It IS high intensity, but if you follow the way its setup, people at any fitness level can do it and track/see how their fitness increases.

I teach a "tai chi fitness" class and every other week I add in tabata squats and keep score so that all of my students can actually see in cold hard facts and numbers how their health/fitness improves. I separate the students into pairs, put on a tribal tabata song on the speakers, have one student score each round then switch when tabata is done. They give me the "scorecards" that I tally at the end of the month. Its fun and motivating.

Many forms of exercise can be done as tabatas. Like the following:

Air squats
Situps
Pushups
Mountain Climbers
Sprints
Punch out on the punching bag
Pullups

Even if you are only able to do ONE rep on like the 5-8 rounds at the beginning its fine, you just really want to try to "score" better than your previous times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 06:34 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,823,702 times
I can't do mountain climbers at all, or burpees. I get red in the face and my temples start to throb. I think it has to do with my head being lower than my butt, while I'm trying to be parallel to the ground. Oddly, I -can- do hand-stand pushups against the wall, though I can only do between 6-8 of them at a time.

I end up doing the mountainclimbers with my hands propping me up against a bench at the gym, so I'm doing it on an upward angle.

There is no punching bag in our gym.

I am unable to do pullups but I do work on it with the assisted pullup machine.

I do a lot of squats though. Regular squats, squats while holding a 15-pound dumbbell at my chest, and sumo-squats with a 10-pound dumbbell in each hand.

And wall-sits.
And planks.
And bird-dogs.

Mostly, a lot of core stuff involving using my own body-weight.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:08 PM

586 posts, read 833,716 times
I am currently doing aerobic exercises at the moment similar to zumba to keep my full body moving.

I've been losing the water weight (or whatever weight it was) steadily this past week. lost 3 lbs of the 6 lbs.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:45 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,566,807 times
Quote:
I am currently doing aerobic exercises at the moment similar to zumba to keep my full body moving.

I've been losing the water weight (or whatever weight it was) steadily this past week. lost 3 lbs of the 6 lbs.
Woot! Awesome!

Old 09-03-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Woot! Awesome!
Thanks! However, I still wished I never gained those lbs in the first place. Makes me feel like I could've lost an extra 3 lbs from where I was at, rather than working to lose those stupid pounds.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:37 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,566,807 times
Quote:
Thanks! However, I still wished I never gained those lbs in the first place. Makes me feel like I could've lost an extra 3 lbs from where I was at, rather than working to lose those stupid pounds.
Welcome to my world! I have lost SIX lbs. this YEAR. I rather hoped that number would be at least 16 by now.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:17 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,405,346 times
Quote:

Great job! I'm so excited for you!

Old 09-04-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Welcome to my world! I have lost SIX lbs. this YEAR. I rather hoped that number would be at least 16 by now.
If I remember correctly, you're not overweight at this moment (or not significantly overweight anyways)?

If I had less than 20 lbs to lose, I wouldnt be sweating so much, as long as I lost something.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:47 PM

14,569 posts, read 23,098,355 times
Quote:
If the 6lbs was water/glycogen stores (and the only other possible explanation is a scale malfunction) then you really haven't lost any progress.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
If the 6lbs was water/glycogen stores (and the only other possible explanation is a scale malfunction) then you really haven't lost any progress.
Yea I know. I wouldnt be on track again until I lose the 6 lbs PLUS some more....Why does water weight take so long to lose though? I was expecting it to just "expel" overnight or something...yet its taking me the same time as it took me in the first place to lose those initial pounds...I remember when I started, I was losing 3-4 lb/week. I'm also losing the "water weight" at the same rate, since I lost 3 of those 6 lbs in a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss