Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:25 AM

586 posts, read 835,970 times

Advertisements

From my previous threads, some will probably know that I lost 11 lbs. I thought the scale was playing tricks on me, so I had both my husband and son step on the scale to weigh themselves to make sure they had an accurate reading to rule out the scale being whack.

So far everything has been good and my weight loss has been consistent. Yesterday morning, I weighed 223. Trust me, I did not go off track. I ate my normal diet (NO CARBS YESTERDAY NOT EVEN BROWN RICE). Yesterday, I ate my normal grapefruit before my meals, drank my teas (and water in between) and ate mostly protein (I ate fish yesterday and veggies). I stopped eating by 6 pm. Later that night, I gave my kids a bath and did a weight check on my youngest. We usually conduct his weight checks by stepping on the scale first and then holding him while on the scale and subtract the difference.

I weighed 230.4???? I seriously thought the scale was going crazy and did it a few more times. Still 230.4. I had my 2 year old step on the scale for me and it was still reading him fine. Husband came home and I was panicking so I told him to please come in and help me. He stepped on the scale and still the normal readings for him. It was my turn so I stepped on the scale and still 230.4. My husband couldnt believe it either since he's witnessed my weight drop too. The last time he was witness to my weight going down was when I was 225. I am not eating salt, I actually dont cook with salt. I used to put a tiny bit of salt on my grapefruits but its been over a week since I stopped doing that.

Is this even possible? I am not eating junk food, and even if I do (which I am not) how can someone gain 7 lbs in 12 hours?

I weighed myself this morning after a night's sleep and its showing 229.2...ughh it feels like I am starting from scratch!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 09:28 AM

2,113 posts, read 1,947,155 times
Drastic swing in weight could be due to water retention. I'd recommend to monitor your sodium intake. Please check my other suggestions on diets and exercises in your previous thread.

You may not add salt to your diet but many food ingredients contain a lot of salt. So do check the labels and try to buy items with the lowest sodium content.

Another potential source for water retention is hormonal fluctuations especially for young women

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2849969/

Water retention can also be the cause of menstrual cramps or bloatings

http://www.theperiodvitamin.com/wate...ng-period.html

You may want to ask your doctor to prescribe diuretic pills such as hydrochorothiazide to see if it helps with water retention

http://www.drugs.com/hydrochlorothiazide.html

Old 08-27-2015, 10:15 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,851,639 times
First and foremost, weigh yourself once a week, not daily. You will drive yourself crazy. The other thing to do if you are not already doing it, write down everything you eat. It is very easy to eat more than you may think you are eating. Its not enough to stay away from junk food, you have to be careful about portion size even with healthy foods.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
First and foremost, weigh yourself once a week, not daily. You will drive yourself crazy. The other thing to do if you are not already doing it, write down everything you eat. It is very easy to eat more than you may think you are eating. Its not enough to stay away from junk food, you have to be careful about portion size even with healthy foods.
In my other post, I did mention that I am really strict about what I eat now. I log everything, I measure my food to make sure I get the right amount of servings, I know what salt can do to one's body so I stay away from it (and yes, that includes reading labels). I havent strayed away from the track so its frustrating to now know where I went wrong? I mean, even before I lost weight, I would NEVER gain 7 lbs in less than 12 hours, because its simply impossible.

Some people weight themselves once a week, others weight themselves everyday (so they can get an average of how many lbs they lost in a week), plus I just weigh myself everday so I can catch these things. To see the number "223", I had to work really hard to get there and determined not to let it go up again.

I'm just so...frustrated right now and really the feeling of failure is kicking in although I swear I didnt do anything wrong.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:45 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,574,499 times
Calm down, it's just water. And crazy scales. Yes, very disappointing, but all you can do is continue eating right and moving more and it will eventually go down.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Calm down, it's just water. And crazy scales. Yes, very disappointing, but all you can do is continue eating right and moving more and it will eventually go down.
Will this continue as a cycle though? Sorry for sounding stupid, just never had this happen to me before. If I work hard to bring the weight back down to 223, would it jump back up to 230? Really praying it doesnt go up, down, up, down like a yoyo.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:02 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,237,021 times
Check your water retention and elimination.

I.E. you might be clogged up. Most people overlook the elimination aspect of weight gain or daily weight swings.

I only pay attention to 5 lb increments of loss on the scale, otherwise I would drive myself crazy going up and down 3-4 lbs all the time. The only time I see a steady decrease in weight is when I stick to strict weekly exercise and sure to drink lot of coffee and fiber to stay very regular. If I don't control the elimination and exercise aspect, the fluctuations back up and down are normal. Some people even do periodic colonics, if you're coming out of a poor diet and need to get the build up sludge in your system cleaned out.

7 lbs is a hefty 1 day swing.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:02 AM

29,783 posts, read 34,555,649 times
When's your next period due? I know that generally when the scale goes up more than an average fluctuation, Aunt Flo is imminent. It's just water retention, and it goes away in a few days.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 08-27-2015 at 11:14 AM..

Old 08-27-2015, 11:06 AM

605 posts, read 707,482 times
Your weight will and SHOULD fluctuate on a day-to-day basis, and the amount it may fluctuate can be a percentage of your overall weight (height and body mass as factors). We are all made up of mostly water, so as the above posters already stated, water weight will be a big part of that. Weighing yourself daily is fine, but look at the overall TREND of weight loss/gain, not the daily changes. Perhaps make a graph if it helps you see the big picture.

[EDIT: Some grammar and punctuation fixes]

P.S. And it IS possible (in response to your thread topic). I use MyFitnessPal and weigh myself approximately every few days. I do notice that the week before my menstruation, I gain a few pounds, but as long as I stick to my new dietary lifestyle change, the trend is usually downwards. Stick with it, don't get discouraged!!! Post here from time to time and let us know how your journey is going.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:15 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,237,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post

I do notice that the week before my menstruation, I gain a few pounds, but as long as I stick to my new dietary lifestyle change, the trend is usually downwards.
So true. I don't even weight myself that week unless it's to see how much I gained, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss