Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:49 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,906,071 times

Advertisements

I know, I know - diet and exercize. I'm just curious whether there is such a thing. And if not, why not? Why hasn't anyone made one that works? Wouldn't it be relatively easy to have a pill that caused air to fill your stomach, or a pill that expanded in your stomach kind of like a sponge without being harmful? When I think about it, it doesn't seem that dangerous really. I read somewhere that some model ate cotton balls because they filled up her stomach. Now that does seem dangerous and stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 11:26 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,617 times
Water can have that affect. I don't know how it compares to cotton balls.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:18 PM

556 posts, read 946,901 times
Glucomannan - made from konjac root. 1-2 capsules and a full glass of water 20 minutes before eating. The fiber absorbs water and fills the stomach. It's the same thing as the main ingredient in shirataki noodles, and approved in the US for sale as food. The FDA hasn't approved it as a pharmaceutical, so it can't be marketed with health claims in the US, but it is approved for sale as an appetite suppressant in Canada.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:19 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,811,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
I know, I know - diet and exercize. I'm just curious whether there is such a thing. And if not, why not? Why hasn't anyone made one that works? Wouldn't it be relatively easy to have a pill that caused air to fill your stomach, or a pill that expanded in your stomach kind of like a sponge without being harmful? When I think about it, it doesn't seem that dangerous really. I read somewhere that some model ate cotton balls because they filled up her stomach. Now that does seem dangerous and stupid.
I believe GNC has some appetite suppressants, not thermogenics that make your heart race, I'm talking just pills that make you feel fuller. However, most people who overeat are not doing so because they're hungry, it's more psychological rather than anything else. That's why appetite suppressants only work for a short period of time.

Also the B-12 vitamin helps a lot.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:44 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,561,614 times
Default Is there a pill that makes you feel full?

You know what would be wonderful?
If I opened this thread and all the replies simply said, "no."

Old 09-15-2015, 01:14 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,550,086 times
^^^ lol well, it doesn't hurt to give her alternatives when the answer is no.

OP, there's also psyllium husk powder (fiber), but you'll have to start out with a tiny bit unless you like gas and bloating.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:29 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
You know what would be wonderful?
If I opened this thread and all the replies simply said, "no."
The problem with that is all the replies would be lies. Truth is--no matter how much people hate it and want to babysit the minds and actions of others--there ARE pills that make you full. Are they either dangerous, illegal, ineffective or filled with unpleasant side effects? Yes. But that doesn't change the reality that they ARE out there.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:03 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
I take a diabetes medication called Victoza that makes you feel very full. It works by delaying gastric emptying. There's a stronger dose approved for weight loss called Saxenda. The side effects of the lower dose that I take are nausea, gross burps, and constipation. There are some pretty serious warnings for the medication and you can't take it if you have a family history of certain cancers. Why do I take it? Because my excess weight was killing me. I've lost more than 100lbs while taking Victoza. But it makes you feel pretty horrible some of the time. I've known people who took it without any effect on their appetite or weight loss, so I guess it really varies by person.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:08 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,245,457 times
Change your diet, works better and is cheaper.

Eat more leafy greens and pulses and protein.

Ive gone from eating white bread to eating something that looks like it was just swept up off the bird farm floor yesterday, and I like it.

Put some salmon in it and I'm done till the next day nearly.

Also most of our hunger/thirst reflexes are so damaged this century that we eat when we are thirsty so the old 8 glasses of water thing works too.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:08 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Try Hoodia tea or capsules.
But, I was amazed after acupuncture for a free weight control treatment...
I mean why not, I was in the building anyway...
I bought some capsules of Chinese Herbs for $14 they recommended and
by golly they WORKED!
I bought MORE!
I forget to take them, tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss