Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 11:57 AM

56 posts, read 41,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
Yes. I am working on that now. I just gained when I hit the peri-menopause part of life...and have been trying my hardest to get back to healthy weight. What worked for losing weight previously.....the rules have all changed.
Peri is bad, being post-menopausal is worse. Women who used to be able to cut back from 2,000 calories a day to 1,600 and lose weight often find themselves having to cut back to 1,300-1,400 for the same effect because their metabolism slows down. Refined simple carbs and their effect on insulin make it even tougher.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure it's always great to get back to the same weight as one's 20s, either, as being thin often reveals wrinkles or loose skin. It's the ol' "beauty or the butt" dilemma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 12:08 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacey View Post
Peri is bad, being post-menopausal is worse. Women who used to be able to cut back from 2,000 calories a day to 1,600 and lose weight often find themselves having to cut back to 1,300-1,400 for the same effect because their metabolism slows down. Refined simple carbs and their effect on insulin make it even tougher.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure it's always great to get back to the same weight as one's 20s, either, as being thin often reveals wrinkles or loose skin. It's the ol' "beauty or the butt" dilemma.
I am not there yet. Been riding this bus now since January 2009

But things have started to settle down now. Last year...was rough

Old 11-12-2015, 08:01 PM

13,246 posts, read 7,295,079 times
The best feeling in the world is cloths that feel loose on you and just a year ago could not button them. Last few days have been cheating again but I have doubled my normal workout at the gym after 6 months my legs are much stronger now I don't even get tired when working out now. When I cheat little on eating I do more in the gym but need to get rid of the bad snack foods bought some potato chips and it's been tough not staying out of the bag while I'm home this week. I find actually at work I can control my eating but I took this week off and sitting at home on the computer I end up in the kitchen with that darn bag of chips. Congrats to everyone with loose fitting cloths the stomach is the toughest part to get rid of I envy everyone I see with a small stomach mostly people in their 20's I see eating pizza and washing it down with a coke.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:09 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
The best feeling in the world is cloths that feel loose on you and just a year ago could not button them. Last few days have been cheating again but I have doubled my normal workout at the gym after 6 months my legs are much stronger now I don't even get tired when working out now. When I cheat little on eating I do more in the gym but need to get rid of the bad snack foods bought some potato chips and it's been tough not staying out of the bag while I'm home this week. I find actually at work I can control my eating but I took this week off and sitting at home on the computer I end up in the kitchen with that darn bag of chips. Congrats to everyone with loose fitting cloths the stomach is the toughest part to get rid of I envy everyone I see with a small stomach mostly people in their 20's I see eating pizza and washing it down with a coke.
Next time, don't buy the chips. Do not bring them into your home. That's the best way to avoid them. If you are in the store and really really are tempted for chips and must have them, then just buy the small bag that has 2 handfuls and 200 calories. Even those you shouldn't buy, but it's better than the large bag.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:12 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,013,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Next time, don't buy the chips. Do not bring them into your home. That's the best way to avoid them. If you are in the store and really really are tempted for chips and must have them, then just buy the small bag that has 2 handfuls and 200 calories. Even those you shouldn't buy, but it's better than the large bag.
Also, there are the baked chips. You can get way more per serving for way less calories and fat. So, if you want the chips bad enough, at least you're not totally killing your calories...

I haven't bought Doritos since the spring...if they're in the house, they'll soon disappear. Can't even think about them...so I don't buy them!

Old 11-23-2015, 04:11 AM

10 posts, read 5,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Looks like this week I made my first goal below 200 was at 228 lbs starting my journey 5/19/2015 I'm at 197 and holding took about 2 weeks to just break below 200 I would go 199 then back over 203 for a few days back and forth. I feel great and friends are noticing I have lost weight it feels when you run into someone you haven't seen in a few months they notice. It's so gradual I hardly notice other then my cloths are getting lose.
Congratulations.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:43 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,316 times
I have to get back on track. It is hard...to say NO. And stick to it.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:04 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,013,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
I have to get back on track. It is hard...to say NO. And stick to it.
It's especially hard during the holidays. But...I've decided to eat nearly whatever I want, but to just exercise/walk more to make up for some of it. I think if I can make it through the holidays without GAINING (even if I don't lose), then I've succeeded and can get back to it once the treats disappear!

Old 11-23-2015, 03:14 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Walking is always a good idea, just do not over estimate how many calories you are burning. Walking burns relatively few calories not unless you are hiking, going for a long distance, and walking at a fast pace.
Throw in some jumping jacks, or other higher calorie burning activity to supplement. Holiday dishes are very calorie dense.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:40 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
It's especially hard during the holidays. But...I've decided to eat nearly whatever I want, but to just exercise/walk more to make up for some of it. I think if I can make it through the holidays without GAINING (even if I don't lose), then I've succeeded and can get back to it once the treats disappear!
You don't burn nearly as much as you think you burn by exercising more. I feel you on getting through the holidays without gaining but don't be fooled into thinking that you are burning thousands of calories by walking. An hour of walking will burn somewhere around 400 calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss