Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 04:13 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,682,114 times

Advertisements

I am not into holiday treats so much as gimme a plate with the turkey with all the trimmings! I can pass on cookies, candies, nuts, drinks, and most cakes and pies. The pumkin pie...I usually eat for breakfast the next day. nom

As for walking....I stepped in a hole out in the yard back in 2013. I could hardly walk for a year. I twisted my arch or something. Anyway, exercise for me now consists of stationary bike or resistance training. I can at least get cardio on the bike.

I am just fat because I deal with peri-menopause combined with PCOS..and am short. I am supposed to weigh...for HWP....120# Uhm..NO. Ain't gonna happen. Evah.
I do my best at 132. But even that is a stretch. So...I settle for 140, size 8 jeans and off the rack clothing. When I did reach 132-size 4..it was impossible to maintain. I lived on 700 cal per day for that weight. Ridiculous. I gotta eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 07:11 AM

3,987 posts, read 5,019,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Walking is always a good idea, just do not over estimate how many calories you are burning. Walking burns relatively few calories not unless you are hiking, going for a long distance, and walking at a fast pace.
Throw in some jumping jacks, or other higher calorie burning activity to supplement. Holiday dishes are very calorie dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You don't burn nearly as much as you think you burn by exercising more. I feel you on getting through the holidays without gaining but don't be fooled into thinking that you are burning thousands of calories by walking. An hour of walking will burn somewhere around 400 calories.
I use LoseIt to calculate exactly what I'm eating every day. I do not skip a bite - every last calorie is added. Also, I have a step/calorie tracker. I usually over-estimate what I eat and under-estimate what I walk. So, I should've been a little clearer in my last post.

First, I walk at a pretty good clip (3 miles or more) each day. I go for a hike probably once every couple of weeks. I'm looking at getting some exercise bands to try to tone and strengthen my muscles and I keep relatively active throughout the week, despite my desk job.

Also, I'm still eating a low cal breakfast and lunch and usually dinner, but with a treat mixed in there when I get a sweet tooth! We got a pumpkin pie last weekend and I've only had two pieces in 5 days...not too bad but I haven't had pie in ages!

I will not go over my budgeted calories (I'm a bit of a maniac about keeping track of my food) and I will throw in exercise whenever and however I can. I'm well aware of how high calorie some of the holiday dishes are - but don't worry , I am not fooled into thinking that they're low cal or that walking burns thousands of calories. On a good exercise day, I burn about 800 calories and don't eat over 1500...

I'm working it...I've lost 22 pounds so far since August (a little slower than I thought but hey, I'm 48 - I hear it's tougher as you get older!)!!

Old 11-24-2015, 09:13 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,828,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I use LoseIt to calculate exactly what I'm eating every day. I do not skip a bite - every last calorie is added. Also, I have a step/calorie tracker. I usually over-estimate what I eat and under-estimate what I walk. So, I should've been a little clearer in my last post.

First, I walk at a pretty good clip (3 miles or more) each day. I go for a hike probably once every couple of weeks. I'm looking at getting some exercise bands to try to tone and strengthen my muscles and I keep relatively active throughout the week, despite my desk job.

Also, I'm still eating a low cal breakfast and lunch and usually dinner, but with a treat mixed in there when I get a sweet tooth! We got a pumpkin pie last weekend and I've only had two pieces in 5 days...not too bad but I haven't had pie in ages!

I will not go over my budgeted calories (I'm a bit of a maniac about keeping track of my food) and I will throw in exercise whenever and however I can. I'm well aware of how high calorie some of the holiday dishes are - but don't worry , I am not fooled into thinking that they're low cal or that walking burns thousands of calories. On a good exercise day, I burn about 800 calories and don't eat over 1500...

I'm working it...I've lost 22 pounds so far since August (a little slower than I thought but hey, I'm 48 - I hear it's tougher as you get older!)!!
Sounds like you are doing everything right! And boy aint that the truth about getting older. It goes on quicker and comes off slower.
I gained 10 lbs over the last year. I am 8 weeks in and 8 pounds down. So at 54 a pound a week is a good thing.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:40 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,563,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post

How weird! I could have written this. I use Lose It. I am pretty good with logging every bite. I overestimate food and underestimate walking. I'm 48 too! I have lost 25 lbs. since July 2014. However, I don't walk A LOT, wish I could say I do.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:36 AM

3,987 posts, read 5,019,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
How weird! I could have written this. I use Lose It. I am pretty good with logging every bite. I overestimate food and underestimate walking. I'm 48 too! I have lost 25 lbs. since July 2014. However, I don't walk A LOT, wish I could say I do.

That's great!

I didn't start off walking...then little by little, I started walking more and more. I even walked in the snow on Saturday. Then by Sunday, the snow melted but it was in the 20's all day...we ended up walking 3 miles but we also went to a bunch of stores (Home Depot, Wal-Mart etc.) to get in some more walking!

I almost (almost) feel guilty when I don't at least walk once throughout the day. I've even got several women at work who ask if we're walking today around the lake - it's just at a mile. They act like I'm forcing them when it's cold (or windy or whatever), and yet they still come with me!

Every little bit helps, IMO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss