Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 12:07 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times

Advertisements

Your oatmeal should still be fine to use. Steel cut oats don't taste like cardboard, they have a nice nutty flavor.

Personally, oatmeal makes me hungry again too soon. A 100-calorie Greek yogurt and 1/2 cup cottage cheese comes out to about the same calories as a bowl of oatmeal (once I put some milk and a little butter and honey on the oatmeal) and keeps me full a lot longer.

Raspberries have a lot of fiber, and so does avocado (but avocado has a lot of calories). If you're really worried about getting enough fiber, you can take fiber supplements. I was reading about a fiber supplement called Konjac root, or glucomannan that's supposed to help you feel full and possible lower cholesterol...it sounded pretty interesting, but personally I can't try it with the meds that I'm taking right now.

Protein and veggies are your friends, when you're trying to stick to a limit like 1400 calories. A chicken breast with the rest of the plate full of veggies will keep you full.

Anything that's mostly carbs, like bread or cereal, just makes me hungrier. My body doesn't care if they're good carbs, it just wants more of them right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 12:22 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
OK, I know I need to eat about 1400 calories daily to lose weight. I am here to announce to the world, this is so freaking hard, I cannot seem to achieve this. But I do want to!

I think what I need to do now is really nail down what foods will give me the most fullness for my buck! I know that includes high-fiber foods, protein, good carbs. But I'm having trouble coming up with food ideas. Who's got ideas for me?

Anyone have ideas of ways I can get this party started, I am so tired of stalling, I'm so done with it!
Eat mostly protein and fat. Eat fewer carbs (including fruit, high fiber bread, oatmeal, beans, peas, lentils). You don't have to go super low carb just lower than you have been eating.

Eggs cooked in fat with vegetables

Make egg salad out of hard boiled eggs

Salad with full fat dressing and some sort of protein

Grilled meat, poultry, fish with any vegetables

Use zucchini in place of pasta (I use a julienne peeler to make zuchhini noodles), Make your own meatballs and sauce without any added sugar.

Sausages and peppers/onions-also great with the zucchini noodles

Use real cream in your coffee (you only need a little)

Snack on nuts but be sure to measure how much you are eating. It is easy to over eat nuts.

Vegetables with full fat dip

Old 10-07-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Anything that's mostly carbs, like bread or cereal, just makes me hungrier. My body doesn't care if they're good carbs, it just wants more of them right away.
That has been my experience also. I think we all react differently to different foods. I simply cannot eat foods that are high in sugar (like fruit) or I get super super hungry. My husband eats a fairly low carb diet but he seems to be unaffected by the occasional piece of fruit or potato. If I eat an apple I am starving for the rest of the day.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:32 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:

I have been looking for something called Dave's Killer Bread that is high in fiber and good for you, but I have yet to find it in my area. If I did, I could eat that with peanut butter.
Amazon.com : Dave's Killer Bread - 21 Whole Grains Bread - 2 loaves - USDA Organic : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Old 10-07-2015, 12:45 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Daily allowance of what? I have no daily allowance of anything. Two slices of Daves bread is 120 calories. Thats not bad at all.
I believe he was referencing my daily allowance of 1400 calories.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:46 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Eat mostly protein and fat. Eat fewer carbs (including fruit, high fiber bread, oatmeal, beans, peas, lentils). You don't have to go super low carb just lower than you have been eating.

Eggs cooked in fat with vegetables

Make egg salad out of hard boiled eggs

Salad with full fat dressing and some sort of protein

Grilled meat, poultry, fish with any vegetables

Use zucchini in place of pasta (I use a julienne peeler to make zuchhini noodles), Make your own meatballs and sauce without any added sugar.

Sausages and peppers/onions-also great with the zucchini noodles

Use real cream in your coffee (you only need a little)

Snack on nuts but be sure to measure how much you are eating. It is easy to over eat nuts.

Vegetables with full fat dip
Thank you, all these suggestions sound do-able! I'll have to check out buying a julienne peeler, because I do love zucchini.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:47 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
OK, I know I need to eat about 1400 calories daily to lose weight. I am here to announce to the world, this is so freaking hard, I cannot seem to achieve this. But I do want to!

I think what I need to do now is really nail down what foods will give me the most fullness for my buck! I know that includes high-fiber foods, protein, good carbs. But I'm having trouble coming up with food ideas. Who's got ideas for me?

Anyone have ideas of ways I can get this party started, I am so tired of stalling, I'm so done with it!

No one can help you but you.

You have been given good advice on previous threads and here you are asking again.
PP or get off the pot, your choice.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:02 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
I find it quite easy to stick to 1400 calories a day eating lean proteins (mostly ... I have a bacon addiction ...), non-starchy vegetables, berries, oatmeal, eggs, cottage cheese and plain yogurt, and healthy fats like avocados, avocado, coconut or olive oil, and occasionally butter. Sometimes I'll have in-season fruit (the apples are good this fall!). I eat a lot of salmon, cod and tuna, chicken thighs or breasts, turkey, lean ham, pork loin or tenderloin. My favorite veggies are broccoli, cauliflower, tossed salads, green beans, celery, peppers. Mostly I eat them raw or lightly steamed, with a little olive oil and lemon juice. I try not to eat prepared foods, especially prepared "diet" foods.

Quote:
oatmeal (now is it ok if I eat the flavored oatmeal??, please say yes, because I don't know if I could handle those steel cut oats, those sound like they would taste like cardboard.
and I hate fruit.
Hmm. Do you like pumpkin? That's good in oatmeal; stir it in with a little cinnamon and/or nutmeg, and the tiniest bit of honey or stevia. Or you could skip the pumpkin and just use the other stuff.

But flavored oatmeal is full of sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Me, too - with the exception of oatmeal. I do not get hungry for hours if I eat oatmeal in the morning ... or for dinner. It's one of my favorite cold-weather dinners.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:02 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,387,904 times
Quote:
Thank you, all these suggestions sound do-able! I'll have to check out buying a julienne peeler, because I do love zucchini.
We found a great contraption for this at Walgreens. It's called the Vegetti, or something like that. It's only like $15.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
We found a great contraption for this at Walgreens. It's called the Vegetti, or something like that. It's only like $15.
The julienne peeler I got was cheaper. I got it on Amazon.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss