Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 07:22 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,240,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
it's been 25 hours since I went cold turkey and so far so good.

In the evening after dinner it was a bit tough without the traditional dessert but I replaced it with fruit and did just fine. Plenty of energy today.

I'm keeping it up!
Excellent! After a while you'll probably be surprised at how anything but fruit is too sweet, to the point where it's unpleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 10:22 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Ok, I decided to go for it. Cold turkey. It's been 6 hours and I'm already getting cranky...

My question is, where do you get the carbs to maintain your energy level?
100 years ago, farmers worked from the butt crack of dawn till past sunset and all they had was whole foods with no added sugar, water, milk, and coffee.

You'll have plenty of energy once you get past the hump.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:23 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Excellent! After a while you'll probably be surprised at how anything but fruit is too sweet, to the point where it's unpleasant.
Now grapes are too sweet for me.

Hey, op, if you want an accountability buddy, I'll do it with you.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:43 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,925,141 times
It is amazing how sweet foods taste sweeter when you are not used to eating sweets. The other day I was a bit shaky after my workout and I realized I had not eaten anything for over 18 hours (big mistake) so I bought a container of blueberries. I rarely eat any fruit at all and I don't use artificial sweeteners. These berries tasted sooooo sweet to me. They were good but I was surprised at how sweet they tasted. I didn't remember them being so sweet.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:51 AM

42,854 posts, read 26,322,713 times
I quit eating foods with added sugar about 4 years ago. I didn't have any kind of withdrawl from it, but now even foods with natural sugar like some fruits taste overwhelmingly sweet. And I never even noticed how disgustingly sweet ketchup is until I stopped eating sugar.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:10 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,430,061 times
Quote:
it's been 25 hours since I went cold turkey and so far so good.

In the evening after dinner it was a bit tough without the traditional dessert but I replaced it with fruit and did just fine. Plenty of energy today.

I'm keeping it up!
25 hours is nothing. I know sometimes people post with the intent of getting a bunch of "atta boys" and "awesome job" but I am going to be honest with you and say that is nothing. After a full week I'll say "good job", but that is about it.

If you are so into sugar that you have to post "Im 6 hours in" or "Im 24 hours now with no sugar" then the odds of you succeeding in quitting cold turkey is next to zero. If you can go 7 days, then you'll be on your way, but one day is nothing.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:24 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
I seriously did not miss sugar after a few days, but I would not say I was addicted to it before. I didn't use sugar in my coffee, did not drink soda, and didn't have much candy or desserts. Now, once in awhile, I'll have an Atkins snack bar, which is very sweet, but somehow the net carbs are very low. If I decide to have a dessert, I usually only want a couple of bites.
I also just love ice cold water now, rather than sweet drinks..don't even like artificial sweeteners any more.
OP should go for it. It's not hard at all.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:08 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,359,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It is amazing how sweet foods taste sweeter when you are not used to eating sweets. The other day I was a bit shaky after my workout and I realized I had not eaten anything for over 18 hours (big mistake) so I bought a container of blueberries. I rarely eat any fruit at all and I don't use artificial sweeteners. These berries tasted sooooo sweet to me. They were good but I was surprised at how sweet they tasted. I didn't remember them being so sweet.
You ultimately want to get to this point when you go to natural whole fruits for your sugar cravings. Although, the body doesn't recognize the diff between granulated sugar and sugar derived from fruit (sugar is sugar as far as the body is concerned) you cant go wrong with the fiber in fruit to slow the sugar spike vs a dounut/flour (i.e.). And with fruit, its fat free/cholesterol free and best of all... it comes with vitamins.

Last edited by hawaiiancoconut; 12-05-2015 at 08:24 PM..

Old 12-05-2015, 08:10 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,539,866 times
LOL it is possible I've even done it

Good luck

Old 12-05-2015, 09:47 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,445,798 times
Day two - and loving it so far!

No hump, no reduction in energy. If anything, I have MORE energy, perhaps because I'm so excited to give up added sugar

I still do nibble on fruits and berries but not a whole lot. Had some goji berries which actually did taste really sweet. Eventually I'd like to get to the point of having minimal sugar in all forms, but for now I feel that fruits are ok.

So far so good. I gave up coffee a few months ago and that was HARD. Took me a whole month to get back to my normal self. I'm surprised that so far sugar has been a lot easier.

Then again, I wasn't gorging on mars bars and such anyway. But after every meal and sometimes for snacks I'd have dark chocolate, a "healthier" cookie with coconut sugar or granola bar which still has maple syrup. Maybe if I was a die-hard sugar junkie it would've been harder...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss