Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 07:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,240,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicturtle View Post
This is how I feel. I can't even eat most granola bars because they make me feel ill.
That reminds me of when I was pregnant I couldn't complete the glucose-tolerance tests because I am so sensitive to sugar; not 10 minutes after drinking the glucose solution, I'd get lethargic and then vomit up the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 02:12 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,798,797 times
Restricting sugar is one of the base (and most difficult) pieces of any diet I go on. When I was younger, it was that easy: cut out sugar, and the rest followed.

Now (at 36), I'm sufficiently "addicted" to sugar and I go through the withdrawal symptoms when I cut it out...most significantly, weakness and headaches. It takes roughly 2 weeks for me to start to lose those symptoms, and another week or so after that before I "feel better" and start to generate energy from my non-sugar sources.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:04 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,691,560 times
Sugar REALLY DOES convert to fat!

I've been skinny all of my life. Life long sugar addict. Up until 6 months ago I was consuming about 100 g of sugar per day (Coke, candy bars, ice cream, candy) -- and that's not including sugar that you don't think is in foods (corn flakes, spaghetti sauce, bread, orange juice, etc). I also do 30 minutes of cardio per day so I thought the extra 10 pounds that I put on over the years was just a case of an aging metabolism. But once I stopped the out of control sugar consumption I dropped 12 pounds that I didn't even think was possible to lose! I weigh now what I used to weigh 20 years ago. Pretty amazing considering that I'm skinny to begin with.

Currently I treat myself to either a 7 1/2 ounce can of Coke (25 g) or a protein bar (22 g) per day. The world health organization recommends 25 g of sugar per day. When you count the other foods that I eat, yeah I'm consuming more than 25 g but I figure I burn it off doing my cardio workout.

On a side note, mixing brown rice and corn off the cob is a nice tasting, healthy and filling dish.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:28 PM

2,322 posts, read 924,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
A word of warning that you may or may not even need, if you continue on this course you will be a diabetic. Not a matter of if but when. One of the pancreas' function is to produce insulin to regulate blood sugar but with this type of barrage day in and day out, it will eventually fail. The result will be Type 2 diabetes. It is an epidemic and becoming worse.
Didn't need it, but appreciate it just the same. I had blood work done a couple of weeks ago because back in the summer of 2014 I was told I was pre-diabetic and I was SURE, by now, that I had crossed that line in the sand. Anyway, got my results today and I dodged a bullet. All tests that were run were within normal ranges. Blood sugar, cholesterol, all normal. And what can be filed under Too Much Info
Spoiler
doc said I had the prostate of a 20 year old. Wanted to tell him that it was due to lack of use but I'd figure I'd keep that nugget of information to myself

Old 12-29-2015, 03:14 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,925,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Currently I treat myself to either a 7 1/2 ounce can of Coke (25 g) or a protein bar (22 g) per day. The world health organization recommends 25 g of sugar per day. When you count the other foods that I eat, yeah I'm consuming more than 25 g but I figure I burn it off doing my cardio workout.

On a side note, mixing brown rice and corn off the cob is a nice tasting, healthy and filling dish.
If you eat something every day it's not really a treat. It's what you eat every day. A treat is something you have infrequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss