Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 09:52 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,445,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It is amazing how sweet foods taste sweeter when you are not used to eating sweets. The other day I was a bit shaky after my workout and I realized I had not eaten anything for over 18 hours (big mistake) so I bought a container of blueberries. I rarely eat any fruit at all and I don't use artificial sweeteners. These berries tasted sooooo sweet to me. They were good but I was surprised at how sweet they tasted. I didn't remember them being so sweet.

I read somewhere that berries are good for your skin so I think I'll keep eating them. I hope some day they'll taste as sweet as chocolate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 10:16 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,766,127 times
I think it depends on the person. I am definitely one who craves sugar, but I can't always get what I want. I've gone a few months without it, not on purpose, but that did not ever quiet the craving. It can be difficult to go without for so long if you've been enjoying it for awhile...headaches happen, I feel sluggish...but again, it depends on the person what they will feel.

I hardly get to have it, so I don't care to cut it out of my life. It's a special treat when I do get to have it. Having said that, I've never been one for sugary drinks...they don't really taste right.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:02 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
I have heard that one small dark chocolate Dove candy, is something that diabetics can have, without counting it in their diet, or worrying about throwing their sugar off. I am not diabetic, but at times when I just want a small bit of dessert, a small candy like this cures the craving.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:13 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,445,798 times
I think dark chocolate has lower GI than milk chocolate, for sure. Apparently raw cocoa is also good for you in small amounts. I once made a dessert from raw cocoa, dates and avocado and it was delicious!

Old 12-06-2015, 11:19 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,925,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have heard that one small dark chocolate Dove candy, is something that diabetics can have, without counting it in their diet, or worrying about throwing their sugar off. I am not diabetic, but at times when I just want a small bit of dessert, a small candy like this cures the craving.
Diabetics should count every gram of sugar. That doesn't mean they can't eat a small piece of chocolate every now and then but they should definitely count it.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:39 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
Quote:
Diabetics should count every gram of sugar. That doesn't mean they can't eat a small piece of chocolate every now and then but they should definitely count it.
No. they do not need to count this.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:52 PM

393 posts, read 360,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Yes. Did it years ago and havent looked back.

Sugar is one of the biggest horrors when it comes to a persons diet. Many people think its calories that needs to be watched and this is true, but the two biggest horrors that ruin a persons diet and ultimately health are: 1) Sugar; 2) Sodium; 3) Fat.

There arent any "withdrawal symptoms" because sugar doesnt have the same effect on a person as does crack or tobacco/nicotine. Regardless of what the fat people who failed at giving up sugar want you to think, it doesnt give "withdrawals".

Years ago, just flat out cold turkey I gave up sugar which included all sodas, white breads, all horrible sweets like doughnuts, double stuf oreos, candy, chocolate, etc. and have felt tremendous in doing so. I may have an occasional Menchies frozen yogurt (2x per month) or slice of pie (couple times per year) but for the most part, I have eliminated sugar where ever I could in my diet. Tea/Iced tea - no sugar. Coffee - no sugar. No intake of food with hidden sugars like HFCS.

My results: Low bodyfat %. No need for any Rx drugs. Healthy body weight at 6' 1" and 177 lbs. Better sleep. Higher energy. Bright whites of eyes. Shiny hair. Visible abs. Super vibrant sex life. Havent been sick in years. And I am closer to 50 than I am to 40.

Dont do like what people do who fail at improving their lives/health which is blame things on "mental illness" (i.e., depression) "emotions", "my family custom is that we eat ..........". If I can do it, anyone can do it because I am no super human or super amazing person - I am just a regular dude who got smart about things and used his mind instead of his emotions to do what is right for me and ultimately my family.
I think I am going to start doing more of this. I don't have a sweet tooth, I have a meat tooth but I still probably have too many potatoes in my diet. I do like fruit too, so those two things will have to be my treats. I've begun reading labels more and it is scary that sugar is the third ingredient on the list for a loaf of wheat bread on some brands. Sugar is being shown to cause inflammation which is what causes cancer and heart disease and I am not sure people realize that it is in almost everything that is processed or that sugar is sugar whether it is called high fructose corn syrup, glucose, sugar or something similar...it all has the same result. I also doubt there would be so much ADD if people stopped stuffing their children full of garbage while letting them sit in front of the computer or tv all day, but that is another discussion.

Financial planners will say you will need 250k just for health care expenses alone, in retirement. I feel that if you get your health house in order long before that time, you probably won't.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:05 PM

393 posts, read 360,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Excellent! After a while you'll probably be surprised at how anything but fruit is too sweet, to the point where it's unpleasant.
This is how I feel. I can't even eat most granola bars because they make me feel ill.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:18 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,925,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
No. they do not need to count this.
Diabetics should count all their carbs.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:41 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,359,302 times
Quote:
Diabetics should count all their carbs.
They should, but they typically don't. I have friends injecting mass units of insulin who could care less about sugar intake. As long as they have insulin, nothing is off the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss