Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 10:39 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,816,238 times

Advertisements

I know we should all eat healthy. However, alot of people say you can only eat meat if it's lean. Well, I am not a fan of chicken breasts (unless they are mixed up in something, like fettucine alfredo), I would rather eat legs or thighs. I don't really like veggies but I can force myself to eat broccoli, mixed veggies, and carrots. I like onions mixed into certain dishes, like chili..or on top of burgers, which are super unhealthy. People say you have to eat brown instead of white rice.. Luckily I like both but white tastes better, of course. Lol do you basically have to resort to eating bland foods in order to eat healthy? what type of recipes do you use to make your healthy foods taste good?

I try not to eat much fried food but I eat out at fast food restaurants 3-5 times a week. I don't really eat alot of meals. I snack on a lot of sweets, which is why I have gained alot of weight in the past year. I am 254 and my doc wants me to get to 225, and get my cholesterol down (my cholesterol, as taken three days ago, is 225).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 10:45 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,751,772 times
It's all about portion control and not consume too much empty calories and processed foods.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:47 PM

19,971 posts, read 30,274,272 times
fat is in..... you can pig out on your well marbled steaks, dark meat chicken and pork,,,and its not half as bad as they said it was years ago..

Eating fat is good for you: Doctors change their minds after 40 years | Health | Life & Style | Daily Express

Now Saturated Fat Is Good for You?*|*Christiane Northrup, MD

don't always listen to the health food Nazi's

im living proof you can eat tons of meats and still be walking, in fact my cholesterol levels are very good!
im over 50, on no medications, eat more meat than a mountain lion,

Why beef is good for you | Life and style | The Guardian

Everyone Was Wrong: Saturated Fat Can Be Good for You | Greatist

Old 12-05-2015, 11:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,652,264 times
Eating healthily is only boring if you are a super picky eater (which I suspect is the case with you, based on your ruling out of an entire food group). There are loads and loads of options that are nutritious.

Healthful foods need not be bland. Some are flavorful to begin with, but taste can also be adjusted by the use of herbs, spices, seasoning, sauces, condiments (not all sauces and condiments are unhealthy), etc.

Eating healthily can also involve decreasing intake of those "empty calorie" foods...the ones high in fats and sugars and low in nutrients (note - various foods have fats and sugars and are high in nutrients...those aren't the ones I'm talking about; eaten in moderation, at least you're getting something out of those). You don't necessarily have to cut them out completely, as long as you can adhere to enjoying them sparingly, and subbing in healthier alternatives in the interim.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:24 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,935,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I know we should all eat healthy. However, alot of people say you can only eat meat if it's lean. Well, I am not a fan of chicken breasts (unless they are mixed up in something, like fettucine alfredo), I would rather eat legs or thighs. I don't really like veggies but I can force myself to eat broccoli, mixed veggies, and carrots. I like onions mixed into certain dishes, like chili..or on top of burgers, which are super unhealthy. People say you have to eat brown instead of white rice.. Luckily I like both but white tastes better, of course. Lol do you basically have to resort to eating bland foods in order to eat healthy? what type of recipes do you use to make your healthy foods taste good?

I try not to eat much fried food but I eat out at fast food restaurants 3-5 times a week. I don't really eat alot of meals. I snack on a lot of sweets, which is why I have gained alot of weight in the past year. I am 254 and my doc wants me to get to 225, and get my cholesterol down (my cholesterol, as taken three days ago, is 225).
3-5 meals of fast food is a lot of fast food. That means you eat fast food almost every day.

I think that whether healthy food tastes bad is a matter of what you consider healthy. I count carbohydrates, not fat or calories and I have lost a lot of weight. I eat all different types of protein foods (meat, chicken, fish, nuts, cheese) and all different sorts of veggies, cooked in fat or served with creamy sauces. I do not eat any grains, potatoes, sugar and I limit fruit.

The best bet is for you to find a weight loss diet that works for your food preferences. There is more than one way to lose weight and you have to find the one that works for you. Lots of sweets will not work.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:56 AM

29,759 posts, read 34,459,247 times
Quote:
I try not to eat much fried food but I eat out at fast food restaurants 3-5 times a week. I don't really eat alot of meals. I snack on a lot of sweets
You've blasted your taste buds with so much unnatural fat, salt, and sugar that you don't know what food actually tastes like. It's not that healthy food is bland so much as that you have to retrain yourself to recognize the real flavor of good food.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I do not eat any grains, potatoes, sugar and I limit fruit.
Why would you limit fruit? I know it has carbs and sugar but also has so many nutrients.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:56 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,297,503 times
Over the years I have shifted to eating healthier foods. I don't eat fried foods, try to limit processed foods, etc.

From my experience I would agree that in the beginning it seems boring. You give up many delicious who cares if it's healthy foods, and thus the menu becomes more limited. The food seems blander. But over time, you may begin to truly enjoy the new foods. And then you learn a little more about food prep and other "healthier" choices, and food becomes fun again.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:08 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,438,345 times
Quote:
Why would you limit fruit? I know it has carbs and sugar but also has so many nutrients.
Sugar. Too many fruits and you'll end up overdoing it with sugar.

From reading your OP ninersfan82, it appears that you dont really know what healthy eating is. My suggestion to you is to pick up a couple of books on nutrition, study, learn and apply what is in there. Use that knowledge as a base to choose and plan your own nutritional intake. When you learn the nutritional content of food, its easier to choose/buy what is both healthy and pleasant to your own palette.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Sugar. Too many fruits and you'll end up overdoing it with sugar.

From reading your OP ninersfan82, it appears that you dont really know what healthy eating is. My suggestion to you is to pick up a couple of books on nutrition, study, learn and apply what is in there. Use that knowledge as a base to choose and plan your own nutritional intake. When you learn the nutritional content of food, its easier to choose/buy what is both healthy and pleasant to your own palette.
Maybe I don't know much about nutrition. I thought the natural sugars found in fruit are good for you. I thought it was the added sugar found in processed foods that you need to worry about. I mean, can you get too much sugar from fruit to the point where it can lead to type 2 diabetes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss