Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 02:15 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,828,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
Eating healthy is more boring than eating crap all the time. But looking and feeling great are more important than looking and feeling like crap.
If you eat healthy long enough eating crap will actually taste like eating crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 03:23 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,925,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
Why would you limit fruit? I know it has carbs and sugar but also has so many nutrients.
I limit fruit because it has too many carbs and too much sugar for me. I can get nutrients from vegetables.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:24 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,925,141 times
Quote:
Maybe I don't know much about nutrition. I thought the natural sugars found in fruit are good for you. I thought it was the added sugar found in processed foods that you need to worry about. I mean, can you get too much sugar from fruit to the point where it can lead to type 2 diabetes?

Sugar is sugar.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:06 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,839 times
I know what you mean. I wish all I was doing was losing weight. Instead I have gastritis so basically don't have anything except rice cakes and water

I hate most vegetables. I always have.... It's messed up because there's crap food I don't eat either (I hate hot dogs. just the smell of them makes me sick and makes me not want to eat) and I don't binge eat.
I also try to get some movement every day and I am against drugs. I try to take herbs when I can to balance it out. So I try to be as healthy as I can in all other ways. Can't I just do one unhealthy thing in life? I mean you need food to live and shouldn't you be able to enjoy it because life is short? When you get old you'll have to really limit your diet so why should you have to do now?

I like some fruit but not supposed to have it esp if I want a smoothie because that has milk in it. My fav food is probly the worst thing for me to eat because you got cheese tomato and all that fattening meat. Ugh I can't imagine a life without pizza.

I have actually tried eating healthy a few times and it doesn't work out. I ate a organic no fat parfait from Panera and it may not have given me pains but it made me feel really empty. The more I ate it the hungrier I felt. I used to drink the kefir goat's milk but it had a weird after taste so I got really tired of it after drinking it for a while. The kefir smoothies were even worse. I guess it helps that I despise yogurt. I used to drink vanilla chai tea. I really liked it for a while but then it ended up tasting too dry. I've also tried eating celery which I do like but it also makes me really hungry.

Another thing is not only is healthy food a problem of taste it's also expensive and not as easy to obtain. I'm pretty sure if non processed foods were plentiful people would be eating them more. If you can cook eating healthy is more easy but I'm not a cook.

I think maybe if you could get a naturopathic/holistic doctor they could help you with a diet. I actually really want to get one..maybe they could find a good diet that I can actually enjoy but no they're expensive too so I just have to assume that everything I eat is bad since it's so hard to tell what I can actually have.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:18 PM

9,538 posts, read 16,535,934 times
I've had to eat healthy most of my life. I don't even know if its boring, its all I know.

As far as getting to much sugar from fruit and it leads to Type 2. I think there would be a lot more factors in place, than just the sugar in the fruit. An overall poor diet with lots of sugar and carbs year after year. Gaining weight and not exercising at all or enough contribute to Diabetes. As does having a strong gene pool in your family of Diabetics is a big contribution.

Just keep your diet moderate on fruits and carbs and poor food choices. You can eat them, just in moderation. Get plenty of exercise and keep your weight where it needs to be.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:46 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
do you basically have to resort to eating bland foods in order to eat healthy? what type of recipes do you use to make your healthy foods taste good?

I try not to eat much fried food but I eat out at fast food restaurants 3-5 times a week. I don't really eat alot of meals. I snack on a lot of sweets, which is why I have gained alot of weight in the past year. I am 254 and my doc wants me to get to 225, and get my cholesterol down (my cholesterol, as taken three days ago, is 225).
This is your problem, OP. And your aversion to veggies.

Healthy foods don't have to be bland. You can spice them up any way you like. Except most Chinese food has sugar in the sauces. If you cook Chinese, leave that out, the food will taste just as good. ALL thai sauces have sugar in them. But there are a lot of options out there for seasoning and ethnic cuisines. Try chicken legs in Indian curry, or marinate them in spiced yogurt overnight, then bake (Bulgarian recipe). There's fish. There's beef Stroganoff. There are all kinds of ethnic cuisines for all kinds of diets: low calorie, or low carb, Paleo diet, pick one, then buy a recipe book for it, or get ideas online.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:52 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,647,185 times
Someone mentioned that people who eat "healthy" always look pale and weak. I started noticing and they are right. And guess which friends are "passing on" first. The really skinny ones.

If John lived on a diet of locust and wild honey, I don't think we have to worry about what we eat as long as we aren't gluttons.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:32 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,540,982 times
Easiest way to lose weigh and keep it off is to find the daily calorie sucks and eliminate or find better substitutions for them.

Do you drink soda pop? Switch out for a can of dansani with lime or lemon carbonated water.
Sugar in your coffee, go stevia. Half n half in coffee, add bit of vanilla protein drink instead. Candy bar in afternoon, go protein drink or protein bar.

Once you cut back on sugary junk, it will taste yucky sweet to you. Eat raw fruit but not fruit juice or canned fruit unless in water. Snack on raw vegetables like carrots.

Learn to cook. Try Mediterranean foods. Use fresh foods whenever possible.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:25 AM

7,459 posts, read 4,701,291 times
I am the definition that losing weight does not translate to lowering LDL (bad cholesterol).

Last year at this time, I was 170 lbs and had 120 LDL. I dieted (eat less portion) and exercised a bit. This time, I brought weight down to an ideal 155 lbs (I'm 5'8") with near flat abs. My LDL ? 140.

It's got be the diet -- what you put in your body.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:32 AM

7,459 posts, read 4,701,291 times
I found this.

http://www.shape.com/sites/shape.com...ist_081413.pdf

What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss