Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 02:19 PM

393 posts, read 360,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I know we should all eat healthy. However, alot of people say you can only eat meat if it's lean. Well, I am not a fan of chicken breasts (unless they are mixed up in something, like fettucine alfredo), I would rather eat legs or thighs. I don't really like veggies but I can force myself to eat broccoli, mixed veggies, and carrots. I like onions mixed into certain dishes, like chili..or on top of burgers, which are super unhealthy. People say you have to eat brown instead of white rice.. Luckily I like both but white tastes better, of course. Lol do you basically have to resort to eating bland foods in order to eat healthy? what type of recipes do you use to make your healthy foods taste good?

I try not to eat much fried food but I eat out at fast food restaurants 3-5 times a week. I don't really eat alot of meals. I snack on a lot of sweets, which is why I have gained alot of weight in the past year. I am 254 and my doc wants me to get to 225, and get my cholesterol down (my cholesterol, as taken three days ago, is 225).
this made me laugh out loud

I think the best thing is to find a balance and to stay as far away from processed crap as you can. I think you are fine with legs and thighs. There are many many different vegetables, keep trying things. There are versions of things you can make to make it healthier, burgers are not super unhealthy except when you are getting them from a fast food place 3-5 days a week. Those places need to put a stupid amount of processing and preservatives into that food to make it last long enough to be trucked out to restaurants. Make burgers at home, or at least cut fast food down to 1 time per month. Do you like fruit? Switch out the sweets with that. I am lucky in that I don't like sweet food, so I've never been interested in cake and doughnuts but I could eat buckets of fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 02:25 PM

393 posts, read 360,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
fat is in..... you can pig out on your well marbled steaks, dark meat chicken and pork,,,and its not half as bad as they said it was years ago..

Eating fat is good for you: Doctors change their minds after 40 years | Health | Life & Style | Daily Express

Now Saturated Fat Is Good for You?*|*Christiane Northrup, MD

don't always listen to the health food Nazi's

im living proof you can eat tons of meats and still be walking, in fact my cholesterol levels are very good!
im over 50, on no medications, eat more meat than a mountain lion,

Why beef is good for you | Life and style | The Guardian

Everyone Was Wrong: Saturated Fat Can Be Good for You | Greatist
doctors have been prescribing meds for cholesterol based on one number even when they have known for years that it is not a predictor of heart disease. Not by itself. The large amounts of meds they prescribe are, however, a great predictor for how much money the pharm companies and doctors can pocket. They have recently had to knock it off.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:54 PM

4,564 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Maybe I don't know much about nutrition. I thought the natural sugars found in fruit are good for you. I thought it was the added sugar found in processed foods that you need to worry about. I mean, can you get too much sugar from fruit to the point where it can lead to type 2 diabetes?
Its not about trying to defend against type 2 diabetes, its about BEING HEALTHY and EATING HEALTHY!!!! A nutrition plan high in sugar (sucrose, sugar, fructose, etc.) is NOT healthy. Plus, lot of people who are obese and trying to better themselves have major sugar/sweet tooth issues that seem to plague them and limit their successes in getting healthy, because they cant control themselves. They put 5-9 servings of fruit in a blender, drink it, and mistakenly think they are "being healthy". Eat sugar at a minimum and your chances of success will be much higher.

Are You Eating Too Much Fruit?

Old 12-06-2015, 08:58 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
Maybe I don't know much about nutrition. I thought the natural sugars found in fruit are good for you. I thought it was the added sugar found in processed foods that you need to worry about. I mean, can you get too much sugar from fruit to the point where it can lead to type 2 diabetes?
Ive never seen an overweight type 2 diabetic person on a natural whole fruit diet. Its when people start to blend/juice the fruit (fruit in a can) is where they're going wrong. And its usually not fruit that's the cause of their type 2 diabetes.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:14 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
It might be worth it, OP, to ask your doctor to recommend a nutritionist who can help you create an eating plan and keep you accountable. You're talking about food solely as a source of enjoyment, and yeah, you should like what you eat, but at the same time what you eat is fuel for your body. If you're having as much fast food and sweets as you say you are, you're probably not getting enough nutrients, fiber, protein, and too much salt and refined carbs. If you start tracking everything that you eat honestly, it will probably be a wake up call for you.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:18 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times
Amen to marbled steak and chicken thighs! I laughed out loud too at the fettucine alfredo comment.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:48 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Ive never seen an overweight type 2 diabetic person on a natural whole fruit diet. Its when people start to blend/juice the fruit (fruit in a can) is where they're going wrong. And its usually not fruit that's the cause of their type 2 diabetes.
This is right. Fruit will certainly not cause Type 2 Diabetes. Ridiculous amounts of processed sugar in ice cream, cakes, candies, soda etc over a long term will cause Type 2 Diabetes. Once the damage is done and you already have the disease you should limit your intake of fruit to obviously keep your BG down and prevent further complications.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:50 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
It can be if you don't know how to use herbs and spices and that is very much trial and error in regards to personal tastes.

You cannot "catch" Type II Diabetes, it is a disease of the pancreas.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:27 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Why would you limit fruit? I know it has carbs and sugar but also has so many nutrients.
Quote:
From what you've said, your fruit consumption is the least of your problems.

Eating a healthy diet of fresh, minimally processed food isn't boring at all. In fact, it's the opposite. Look around the grocery story next time you're there. If you're in a medium to large size city there are probably 50-100 different fruits and vegetables in the produce department. There's beef, chicken, lamb and seafood in the meat department. The baking aisle has dozens of herbs, spices and blends to choose from. There are countless ways to combine ingredients in delicious ways.

Eating "healthy" doesn't mean all you're eating is brown rice and frozen vegetables. It means you're eating with an eye to the nutritional content of the food. You're thinking about which foods are high in protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. You want your calories to count toward something.

Based on your OP, I bet you could lose 25 lbs. in a year and get your cholesterol in check simply by eliminating fast food and soda. You'll have to think ahead and prepare meals for the 3-5 times you eat out in a week. In fact, if you go 3-4 months without fast food and then eat a burger, you'll be amazed at how salty and greasy it tastes. I bet you won't even want to finish it.

Eating well isn't rocket science and it doesn't have to be boring. It just takes some education and a little planning and education.

Last edited by Marlow; 12-07-2015 at 12:53 PM..

Old 12-07-2015, 12:35 PM

380 posts, read 652,930 times
Eating healthy is more boring than eating crap all the time. But looking and feeling great are more important than looking and feeling like crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss