Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 03:02 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times

Advertisements

Dont rely on the Fitbit giving accurate info=
Fitbit users sue, claiming heart rate monitor is inaccurate - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 05:01 PM

586 posts, read 830,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
saw this a few hours ago too...

Old 01-09-2016, 12:29 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
I had a FitBit and I used it for awhile. Then like a large percentage of people, I stopped using it.

I also had it sync to MyFitnessPal for awhile. But I found it underestimated by calories burned. It was always telling me it was lower than I was obviously burning for the day---otherwise, I'd be gaining weight based on the calories I consumed.

Anyway, my husband ended up getting me a JawBone Up for Christmas (not sure why) but he wanted us to maybe both have one and compete against one another. I have barely been using it and I already misplaced it. I have a hard time remembering to take it off of one pair of pants and put it on another for the next day. Then it became kind of annoying because when I did that, it looked like I did nothing for the day. Oh well.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:17 AM

395 posts, read 603,574 times
I got one for Christmas. I like it, although I think the stride and running stride setting is wrong. I'm 6'1.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:25 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5878 View Post
I got one for Christmas. I like it, although I think the stride and running stride setting is wrong. I'm 6'1.
There are instructions on the fitbit website that tell you how to measure your stride and set your fitbit to your settings.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:11 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I never heard of it having a record of being inaccurate before I saw the above a second ago, but of course ANYTHING man-made can fail.

After some thought, I finally got a FitBit Zip yesterday, the simplest one of their range of pedometer products.

I tried it out for the first time today & the steps they show for me doesn't seem accurate. I didn't walk much today, yet it shows 1650. That seems like more than what I did, which was just a little driving around & walking in/out a couple stores to my car, which was parked closely to the store.

I hate to say it, but I might have to return this thing. For $60, I thought this was a good quality product. Perhaps I got a lemon in which I could exchange it for another, but after that, I'll be through w/ FitBit if it's inaccurate.

Any more comments about how well these products tend to work?

Old 04-07-2016, 08:51 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I never heard of it having a record of being inaccurate before I saw the above a second ago, but of course ANYTHING man-made can fail.

After some thought, I finally got a FitBit Zip yesterday, the simplest one of their range of pedometer products.

I tried it out for the first time today & the steps they show for me doesn't seem accurate. I didn't walk much today, yet it shows 1650. That seems like more than what I did, which was just a little driving around & walking in/out a couple stores to my car, which was parked closely to the store.

I hate to say it, but I might have to return this thing. For $60, I thought this was a good quality product. Perhaps I got a lemon in which I could exchange it for another, but after that, I'll be through w/ FitBit if it's inaccurate.

Any more comments about how well these products tend to work?
Yep, I got the Fitbit Zip and I ended up returning it. I just can't handle the stress of worrying that the little thing might break, the battery might not last as long as they say it will (which I've heard happens), and I do not trust the calorie counter at all, and that's the main reason I wanted it. I think all the Fitbits do is take your BMR and guesstimate your calorie burn throughout the day. Well, cripe, I can do that myself for free. My phone app can count my steps. Granted, I don't have my phone on me at all times throughout the day, but for the most part I do.

Your steps could be correct, 1650 is not that much and steps add up quicker than you think. Yesterday, I didn't do a whole lot, and I got 1750 steps on my phone.

All the technology in the world, men landing on the moon, and all Fitbit can come up with is a little bracelet with some tiny flashing lights??? Really???

I've read you can figure out if it's counting your steps accurately, by counting your strides a certain way, and count up to like 30 and then see if it says 30.

We have to remember, these Fitbits were created and designed for mostly the average couch potato, to encourage them to stop being a fat couch potato and get off their a$$ and walk. I don't think it's the greatest piece of equipment for those of us who are trying to gauge our calories and our burns from different activities like weight lifting, elliptical, rowing, etc.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:24 AM

631 posts, read 398,722 times
I have a Charge HR that I got because I wanted to keep track of my heart rate and make sure it was in the normal range. (I have an irregular heartbeat). When it goes below 60 BPM, I get up and walk around - so for that, it's handy to have. However I don't think its accurate in terms of distance walked (I measured my stride). I wear it overnight to record sleep time, but when I wake up in the morning it tells me I have walked anywhere from 90 to 180 steps!! Also, today I was at the gym and walked 2 miles on the treadmill, however the FitBit recorded only 1.5 miles. So overall, I don't think its very accurate.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:16 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,802,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
I wear it overnight to record sleep time, but when I wake up in the morning it tells me I have walked anywhere from 90 to 180 steps!! Also, today I was at the gym and walked 2 miles on the treadmill, however the FitBit recorded only 1.5 miles. So overall, I don't think its very accurate.
Maybe you toss and turn a lot and it's reading as steps? When we drive long distances, I'll get sometimes 500 "steps" that are recording my talking with my hands or just up and down on the steering wheel.

I walked to the park a couple of weeks ago, and I know it's just over 1.4 miles, but it registered 1.7 miles because I had to take some smaller steps for my kids to keep up with me.

I don't use it for the exact accuracy. I use it as a general reminder to get moving. My daily goal is to hit 11,000 steps, so if it's off by 10%, I'm still getting my 10k steps in.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:27 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,805 times
i love my fitbit, i'm obsessed with it! i have the fitbit one though. it definitely motivates me to get up and walk around more (especially important because i have a desk job). it's also fun to add your contacts/friends and see their steps as well. it's fun to always try to beat them.

i can't speak to the accuracy of the steps, but honestly that's not really why i'm using it. even if it's off +/- 1,000 steps, it makes me get up more often and walk around which was my overall goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss