Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 10:26 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
It's both... diet and exercise.

What people think of as ripped abs is simply enough abdominal muscle hypertrophy (size development) combined with a low enough body fat to be able to see the abdominal muscles underneath.

BTW, physiologically, there is no exercise you can do to "tone" your muscles. Same with "define". All skeletal muscle, including those of the abdominal area, can only do three things in terms of appearance... they can get bigger (hypertrophy), they can get smaller (atrophy), or they can stay the same. That's it. There's no such thing as toning or defining.
And to add to that, in order to actually see the 'six pack', one must have very low body fat. It is really hard for women especially to get that look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 10:45 AM

7,430 posts, read 4,676,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
And to add to that, in order to actually see the 'six pack', one must have very low body fat. It is really hard for women especially to get that look.

Women having a six pack is just pure wrong.

Flat abs YES
Six pack NO

Old 01-22-2016, 11:12 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
It's both... diet and exercise.

What people think of as ripped abs is simply enough abdominal muscle hypertrophy (size development) combined with a low enough body fat to be able to see the abdominal muscles underneath.

BTW, physiologically, there is no exercise you can do to "tone" your muscles. Same with "define". All skeletal muscle, including those of the abdominal area, can only do three things in terms of appearance... they can get bigger (hypertrophy), they can get smaller (atrophy), or they can stay the same. That's it. There's no such thing as toning or defining.
So the girls I follow on Facebook who used to be fat, and are now toned in their arms and abs and legs simply underwent hypertrophy? And they did it by simply being active? I'm not being snarky, I'm seriously asking. I always wonder if programs like Beach Body, Cize, etc. do some magical thing that would differ from me doing the elliptical and working on weight machines.

Further, from what you are saying, it sounds like all those programs out there that boast they will tone and define your body are full of it?

Old 01-22-2016, 12:19 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
So the girls I follow on Facebook who used to be fat, and are now toned in their arms and abs and legs simply underwent hypertrophy? And they did it by simply being active? I'm not being snarky, I'm seriously asking. I always wonder if programs like Beach Body, Cize, etc. do some magical thing that would differ from me doing the elliptical and working on weight machines.

Further, from what you are saying, it sounds like all those programs out there that boast they will tone and define your body are full of it?
Toning and defining, like "fat burning zones", are simply marketing gimmicks.

The girls you are talking about did two things. One they lost body fat. Two, by working out, they increased the size of their muscles. So, it was both hypertrophy and reduced body fat.

Simply by being active? Yes and no. Probably they are doing specific types of strength training that cause the hypertrophy in the muscles (although there other activities that will do this as a by product). They have also probably modified their eating habits to facilitate fat loss.

Programs like Beach Body, Cize are not more effective, than basic cardio and strength. They can actually less effective in some ways because they don't give you the range of resistance you can get from doing weights nor do they give you the ability to incrementally monitor and change your cardio. They can be a decent adjunct in a workout program, but they certainly aren't magic.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:17 PM

7,430 posts, read 4,676,648 times
45! I think that's it. I'll just maintain max of 45 as I start feeling the burn at 20, so that gives me a good 25 quality ab-ripping crunches. Then I rest a few minutes, then hit 40. Then 35.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
45! I think that's it. I'll just maintain max of 45 as I start feeling the burn at 20, so that gives me a good 25 quality ab-ripping crunches. Then I rest a few minutes, then hit 40. Then 35.
Wouldn't you rather do less and accomplish more?

Old 02-01-2016, 04:57 PM

1,098 posts, read 901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Put in your max continuous (no rest in between) crunches for the day. By crunch I mean sit-ups. So no leg raises or jack knife or what have you.

I'll start.

40 crunches

Crunches are one of the most overrated exercises. They make your neck sore and they just aren't that effective. I do them like once every couple of weeks just for the sake of variation

Old 02-02-2016, 03:50 AM

18 posts, read 13,207 times
I'm at 35 crunches now. My goal is 100.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus2000 View Post
I'm at 35 crunches now. My goal is 100.
Why?

Old 02-02-2016, 05:41 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,845,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I might be a little more advance, but I can do 13 full range sit ups.

with 160lb weighted barbell on my chest.

I always knew you were a big fitness person, but gat dang that's impressive. I don't understand how that doesn't hurt your back. I occasionally do decline crunches with a medicine ball or plate on my chest but that gets pretty tiring.

I'm more of a hanging leg raises and planks guy myself.

Quote:
Btw: crunches doesn't give anyone ripped abs....diet does. But everyone probably already knows that.
It's astounding to me how many people don't know this. Abs are made in the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss