Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:34 PM

27 posts, read 164,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Part of has to do with parents feeding their children fast food because its cheap and readily available, then sit their kids in front of the tv all day instead of getting them into sports/physical fitness activites. These fat kids grow up to be fat teens and you can bet that they will have fat kids as well.

I remember when I was a kid, there was maybe one fat kid in the neighborhood and maybe one or two fat kids in each grade at school. I think cheap fast food has a lot to do with it.
Agree with everything DaBeez said. When I was young, we never had fast food - it was a "treat" to go to McDonalds. We didn't watch much TV, no computers, and we played outside every free minute we had. Rode bikes alot and walked everywhere. I too can only remember a few "pudgey" kids. Fast food is a part of the problem, but you also need to look at the food bought/brought into the home, and what is cooked (or not cooked).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 12:35 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
Suzet

Everything you say is true, but all of those things are EXCUSES that people use for their UNWILLINGNESS to exercise and eat heathy food. Unfortunately these EXCUSES are being pased from one generation to the next.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:46 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,412 times
My brother loves to eat. He gets on the scale at dinner to decide if he can have an extra portion or not. If he gets above a certain weight, he runs more and eats less.

Personally, I'd probably eat more fruit if I could get it ripe, but some of this stuff that passes off for fruit tastes like wet cardboard.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:57 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
agreatlife wrote:
Personally, I'd probably eat more fruit if I could get it ripe, but some of this stuff that passes off for fruit tastes like wet cardboard.
I wonder if the so-called FRUIT that appears in supermarkets these days is really even real FRUIT anymore. Oversized and tastless apples, or monster sized pears brimming with chemicals for example. I think I'd rather eat wet cardboard than some of that stuff! It's probably healthier and the taste is about the same!

Old 02-07-2008, 01:01 PM

76 posts, read 265,300 times
I know there is A LOT of debate on this subject, but if you consider that we eat more processed foods than anybody, we also do eat larger portions, many americans skip meals, many use drugs (otc, and prescriptions both hurt the body), and most are too stressed. if you add all that up, you will see it is not only physically stressful to the body, but also causes more inflammation, more fat storage, and malnutrition. many of my patients think because they are getting larger, they are over nourished, and to date, i have not found that to be the case in any of them.
to add to the problem, most people view weight gain as a problem. it is not a problem,... it is a symptom of a problem. that is why most people can't lose weight (and keep it off) with a diet. I know i say this a lot, but again... dieting is much like turning off the fire alarm, but not the fire. when you stop dieting, you gain the weight back again.... but if you take weight gain as a sign something else is wrong, weight loss, but more importantly, better health, becomes a lot easier!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:47 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Suzet

Everything you say is true, but all of those things are EXCUSES that people use for their UNWILLINGNESS to exercise and eat heathy food. Unfortunately these EXCUSES are being pased from one generation to the next.
I totally agree with you on that. Personally, I would love to see everyone take a deep breath and calm down, stop the hectic pace of life and enjoy your family atleast once a week. It would make for happier humans. Stop eatting the crap, and drinking all of those "super" drinks that are out there. Like all the energy drinks and what not, why are these necessary in life. IMO, that is why people are soooo angry too. All the caffeine and sugar they put into their bodies...but then what the heck do I know.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:09 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
Default I have my own theory

STRESS.
Physically, it causes weight gain and other undesirable effects.

Longer work hours
Longer commutes
More unreasonable bosses
More work demands
Someone right in line behind you if you can't cut the job
More job politics
Less jobs to pick from
More people trapped in jobs they don't want
Companies that don't want people to take off of work for health reasons

And remember, the idea that you get a half hour lunch is an option for employers.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:24 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
STRESS.
Physically, it causes weight gain and other undesirable effects.

Longer work hours
Longer commutes
More unreasonable bosses
More work demands
Someone right in line behind you if you can't cut the job
More job politics
Less jobs to pick from
More people trapped in jobs they don't want
Companies that don't want people to take off of work for health reasons

And remember, the idea that you get a half hour lunch is an option for employers.
Tried to rep you but couldn't. You deserve a break today. I once had a jerk for a boss and your post brought back memories. I am retired and getting healthier every day. Try to look for another job. Life is too short to live like that.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:31 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Suzet

This is true, however, 30 years ago, no one went to health clubs. Other than the YMCA, health clubs didn't exist. People got more exercise in their day to day lives. Day to day housework and yard work took more energy. Moms walked their kids to school, not drove them like they do today. Kids had gym every day and were more active in general. People ate less and prepared more food at home. Many kids drank soft drinks only on special occassions, not daily. The fast food culture wasn't what it is today. There weren't Sams Clubs and Costcos. People had less food in the house and ate less. As people move further and further out to the suburbs, they started driving because they lost the ability to walk to a store, or the pharmacy or the post office. Now people have to work at being in shape. Back then, being thin just seemed to be natural. In my grammar school there were 3 fat kids in the entire school. Not anymore. I went to Europe in October and was amazed how thin everyone was! It was so wild! But people walk much more there. They leave their cars at home and walk to the store and carry their stuff home or take the bus, etc. They eat smaller portions and don't have nearly as many prepacked high sodium laden things. Their refridgerators are smaller so they may shop twice a week for food. It was a real eye opener. We really are very into convenience, buying in bulk and a car culture.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
over worked
unappreciated
unloved
unhappy people
need to eat?
exercise will not erase mean streets?

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-08-2008 at 01:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss