Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:39 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times

Advertisements

carrot juice wrote:
people are out of shape because they drink, smoke and eat too much. Ever go to a grocery store and look at what people are putting in their carts? Scary stuff.
Very True even at the health food store! We do 90% of our grocery shopping at the local natural foods store. This past weekend, we noticed that the lady behind us had a cart full of boxes and containerized items. Even though the store carries a good selection of orgainc fruit and produce, there were none of those items in the cart. Everything was processed health food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 07:41 AM

170 posts, read 477,202 times
We need to eat like men, not like little sissies. Where's the whopper!!!! RAWR!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:42 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
Great story UW Badgers...... and very inspiring !! I also believe that the best way to lose weight isn't any FAD diet but just eating Clean and good old fashined Exercise daily.

Congrats and those before and after Photos as they are great!

6/3

Old 02-25-2008, 08:18 AM

Default But at least he wasn't a sissy!

FilthySailor wrote:
We need to eat like men, not like little sissies. Where's the whopper!!!! RAWR!
Yeah, so a man can experience the pleasure of a heart attack at age 50! But at least he wasn't a sissy.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:23 AM

170 posts, read 477,202 times
I'm friken dying here! LOL I'm in tears!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:36 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,277 times
Glad you're laughing.
Read my thread on Obesity.
Jeesh.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:40 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sent View Post
Yahoo news currently has an article in the health section titled "Fast Food Ads Fueling Obesity Among Hispanic Kids" that states

"The large number of fast food commercials on Spanish-language television in the United States may be contributing to the obesity epidemic among Hispanic youths, new research suggests."

""While we cannot blame overweight and obesity solely on TV commercials, there is solid evidence that children exposed to such messages tend to have unhealthy diets and to be overweight," lead investigator Dr. Darcy Thompson, a pediatrician at Hopkins, said in a prepared statement."

That doesn't make much sense. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, I can remember tons of commercials during cartoons and other kid's shows from McDonalds and Burger King - those commercials had story lines enticing you to follow and regularly watch them! There were also plenty of pitches from every kind of cereal manufacturer with cute characters prompting you to buy their sugary stuff to get the prize inside. Cookie manufacturer and companies who made other instant foods that aren't good for you had ads too. Why wasn't obesity such an epidemic then?
Animals are now injected with growth stimulating drugs and hormones. It winds up in the meat and the milk. Also, antibiotics and other drugs so they don't get sick, with things like enteritis, while being so close to each other. They are also treated very poorly and are stressed.
That isn't healthy for us.
People keep saying Americans are lazy, don't exercise, eat too much, don't eat enough fiber, you name it, but I think it's the growth hormones. If they can make a pig grow to something it's not naturally supposed to be, then what are these drugs doing to us?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:48 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,302,985 times
This may or may not have already been said but personally I don't know if all the problems are related to what we eat, although many are, but what about what is put in our foods that we don't even know about? Even in the supposedly good foods?? Hormones and God knows what else. Then there is what is in the fast food too. I am trying to buy more food from more natural places where they don't have all those additives. That's not easy either!! Just maybe those additives in our foods keep us from having the needed energy to keep in shape. Just a thought.........

Old 02-25-2008, 08:54 AM

nebulous1 wrote:
If they can make a pig grow to something it's not naturally supposed to be, then what are these drugs doing to us?
Just walk down the sidewalk in any city and it will be obvious that way too many people have become supersized. It's probably just a co-incidence that those oversized people are big time meat eaters. There couldn't possibly be a connection....just a mere co-incidence.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:05 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,302,985 times
Do you ever wonder if perhaps some of the drugs put into our foods stimulate people to over-eat? And then to top that off they over-eat foods with drugs in them that also may cause weight gain? I'm just curious on others thinking here. I am probably just looking for excuses for the over-weight people but it does make me wonder. Especially when I see what our very own FDA does!!! I am fortunate as weight isn't a problem for me but I know so many that it is a problem for and it concerns me for their mental/physical health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss