Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 09:14 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,413,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulTiger View Post
I used to be much thinner and I admit that I looked down on people like my mom (who gained a lot of weight when I was growing up) for not staying thin. But now that the shoe is on the other foot and I've been getting a lot bigger than I was before I know that I have stuff to sort out on my end. I feel bad for being such a ***** to her. Anyway, I have two major questions for you guys:

1) I feel like its okay to not freak out over gaining some weight as you get older. Women are heavier than girls, that's just the way it is. Besides, we need to love our bodies and not see a little bit of baby fat as the end of the world. But how much is okay, and how much weight is too much?

2) Do you think its possible to have your view point on weight be distorted by people around you or family? When I spent a lot of time around skinny people I had a distorted view that all weight was the end of the world. But now (for better or for worse) I know that spending time with family who is way bigger than me and in my hometown where people are just bigger in general, I finally feel more comfortable eating like I want and having a good time with food again. I know this means that I've put on weight, but I am trying to make sure I don't feel bad about it. What I'm not sure of is at what point is it TOO much???

My mom is over 600 pounds and can't really walk and I don't want to wind up like her.
Wow. I thought the pics you posted was a before and after pic showing your weight loss. I was super impressed thinking "Awesome! Way to go! ", but now I see its showing before and after weight GAIN. That is just waaaaaay too much. There is no "baby fat" anywhere around there. You really, really, really need to do something about it or your health will suffer drastically (if it hasnt already done so).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 02:56 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
OP, it is good you asked about this here. Everyone is confirming what you already know deep down; that you must do something about this. You don't want to end up like your mom. It is one thing to be 10 or 15 lbs over a healthy weight for one's size and age, but you are way too young and way too large at this point.

I would say you probably need to visit a doctor/dietition to get you started; you want to eat the right foods, and after a medical checkup start some sort of easy exercise, like walking or whatever it is you are able to do. You will be surprised how fast your body can respond. Also maybe belonging to some sort of support group like weight watchers or other where you can relate to others in similar situation, and others can encourage you.

Many people have done it and so can you! So don't be discouraged. I myself lost 55 lbs, and that was when I was already in my 60s. And when you start losing, you feel better and look better, and that alone will motivate you!

Good luck, don't wait another day, start now!

Old 07-25-2016, 04:08 PM

39 posts, read 101,688 times
Guys.

I don't think that's its fair for people to call me "fat." Just because a person is bigger than they used to be doesn't mean she's suddenly OBESE like my mom is. I can walk, for example, pretty much just fine. People like her that need help with food and everything because she can't get out of the DAMN BED, not THAT is just TOOOO MUCH FOR ME.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:51 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Guys.

I don't think that's its fair for people to call me "fat." Just because a person is bigger than they used to be doesn't mean she's suddenly OBESE like my mom is. I can walk, for example, pretty much just fine. People like her that need help with food and everything because she can't get out of the DAMN BED, not THAT is just TOOOO MUCH FOR ME.
You asked, and we told you, but you don't want to face it. I hope for your sake you get some therapy before your health really suffers. Good luck.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:59 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,085,432 times
I'm at it - 5'11 and a half inches tall - I weight 200lb right now, and it's pissing me off quite a bit. Preferable max weight for me for the rest of my life would be in the 180-185lb range. I'd like to be at 183 and tone my stomach a bit and leave it at that. I'm in my mid 30s fwiw

Old 07-26-2016, 09:19 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
Quote:
Guys.

You'll find that there's a limit to how big you can be and still fit in chairs in waiting rooms or booths in restaurants, or how big you can be and still fit easily in a regular bathroom stall without having to straddle the toilet to shut the stall door. There's also the point at which you suddenly realize you've gained too much weight to able to perform certain daily bathroom tasks. You get to that point before you get too big to walk, generally. And once you realize that you're large enough that it's starting to limit the things that you're able to do, you're already large enough that exercise is difficult.

As far as the point at which someone should be called obese, you're obese if your BMI is 30 or greater. You're morbidly obese if your BMI is 35 or greater. If someone has a lot of muscle mass, they may have a higher BMI but not be obese, but that generally applies to bodybuilders.

How big was your mom when she was your age? I remember your other posts talking about how she wasn't huge when she was younger.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:21 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,413,251 times
Quote:
Guys.

I don't think that's its fair for people to call me "fat." Just because a person is bigger than they used to be doesn't mean she's suddenly OBESE(
*Looks at pic in OP, then re-reads this post. Looks again at pic in OP, then re-reads this post again*

Yep, you are "fat/obese". Its not a bad word or mean to call someone that. You know it. Everyone else who sees your before and after pic knows it as well. Its not about having difficulty walking, fitting into bathroom stalls, having to pay for 2 airline tickets, etc. Its all about the visual. And yes, you have become fat. We all really are rooting for you though to lose weight and to improve your current health and improve your future health as well.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:19 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,879 times
Quote:
Guys.

I think you are taking the word obese far too personally. Obese is a medical term for anyone with a BMI over 30. Morbidly obese is anyone with a BMI over 35. I don't want to be mean, but you are definitely obese, whether you want to believe that or not. It sucks to think of yourself that way, but it is just a medical fact. I know how it feels because I've been obese myself and I'm often very close to the obese line for my height.

You can be obese and still be able to walk, run, climb stairs, sprint, etc. I do all of those things regularly (everything but sprinting daily). You can be obese and still be shopping at regular stores for clothes (by regular I mean not plus sizes). How do I know? I'm extremely close to being obese, despite being very active and never having worn plus size clothing. It is what it is.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:44 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,824 times
Sorry, but you right on track to a loss of mobility/600lbs. You've got age on your side, for now, but I cannot imagine how you can look at this leg swelling/excess weight and not see how you are heading for fluid buildup/diabetes/lymphedema.

Now, I'm not obese and can't speak for that. I'm the child of an alcoholic though, and I'd say to you, as a child of a food addict, that you are succumbing to the same lifestyle/genetic predisposition of addiction. Maybe you have surrounded yourself with extreme obesity for so long that you don't know what normal is anymore. It's not. It's not even normal overweight. You aren't going to be this young for long, and you're going to pay dearly if you don't wake up now. Good luck.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:49 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
I have just hit my limit. I have gained about 10 pounds over the last year and now it is time for it to come off. But at my age, 54, that means hard work and sacrifice. I haven't been able to wrap my brain around it until now. Summer is filled with parties, eating, lots of wine (I work in the industry) and just a lax attitude. But faced with clothes becoming too snug it is time to buckle down and get it done. UGH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss