Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 11:37 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Ok, but I still want to eat healthy. Sausage and burgers??
YEP!

Fat and protein = good

Don't buy into the low fat crap.

Research Ketogenic dieting. Beef is excellent, sausage is high in fat and protein (and tasty!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 03:24 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,376 times
There is way more evidence that fewer animal products = healthier and longer life than there is that more animal products = health and long life.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
There is way more evidence that fewer animal products = healthier and longer life than there is that more animal products = health and long life.
...and here come the vegetarians! (Or at least the arguments).

Most meat has the highest ratio of fat / protein. Most contain no carbs. Carbs are converted to glucose which will cause haywire to insulin levels.

Fruit is almost universally high in sugar (sugar is sugar no matter the source)

Vegetables are mixed. Some are high in carbs AND fiber, and some are just not that great for you (potatoes for example).

Fat and a proper amount of protein alongside it is the best source of energy that you could have for your body.

I think most people know, sugar is the devil.

Personally I eat both veggies and meat. Most of my food is meat, but I also add in things like spinach, celery, kale, peppers etc. The added vegetables give a complete diet.

All meat diet is not great as it will result in some vitamin deficiencies and electrolytes (Potassium, Magnesium, Sodium). All vegetarian diets result in many deficiencies as well (2/3rds of vegetarians are vitamin B12 and Iron deficient and many are anemic).

Your diet should consist of both, but your primary source of energy should come from fat, not carbs and sugar.

Last edited by wolf39us; 07-22-2016 at 04:19 PM..

Old 07-22-2016, 04:21 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,420,963 times
I just started the My Fitness Pal app on my phone - it has helped me to count my calories quite a bit.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:02 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post

Most meat has the highest ratio of fat / protein. Most contain no carbs. Carbs are converted to glucose which will cause haywire to insulin levels.

Vegetables are mixed. Some are high in carbs AND fiber, and some are just not that great for you (potatoes for example).

Fat and a proper amount of protein alongside it is the best source of energy that you could have for your body.

Personally I eat both veggies and meat. Most of my food is meat, but I also add in things like spinach, celery, kale, peppers etc. The added vegetables give a complete diet.

All meat diet is not great as it will result in some vitamin deficiencies and electrolytes (Potassium, Magnesium, Sodium). All vegetarian diets result in many deficiencies as well (2/3rds of vegetarians are vitamin B12 and Iron deficient and many are anemic).

Your diet should consist of both, but your primary source of energy should come from fat, not carbs and sugar.
I totally disagree with such diets. Except for maybe the Inuit due to location, man has eaten fruit, grains and/or tubers obtained either from foraging or harvesting with no ill effects on their bodies. We're messed up not because of eating fruits and grains. As for me, nothing is the devil.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I totally disagree with such diets. Except for maybe the Inuit due to location, man has eaten fruit, grains and/or tubers obtained either from foraging or harvesting with no ill effects on their bodies. We're messed up not because of eating fruits and grains. As for me, nothing is the devil.
I just laid out the effects for you.

Protein and fat are necessary to a complete diet, as are veggies.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:28 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,815 times
So, fruits are out? Sweet potatoes?

That sounds like an insane diet that would be impossible to stick with.

We have pizza night on Saturdays. I love bananas and berries and all kinds of fruits.

I find it much more convenient to make a sandwich with spinach and roasted chicken for a quick lunch when I don't want to cook.

That sounds very limiting.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:59 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,764,865 times
Quote:
Ok, but I still want to eat healthy. Sausage and burgers??
Sausage and burgers (and eggs and fish and chicken and pork) are all satisfying and healthy.

Quote:
So, fruits are out? Sweet potatoes?

That sounds like an insane diet that would be impossible to stick with.

We have pizza night on Saturdays. I love bananas and berries and all kinds of fruits.

I find it much more convenient to make a sandwich with spinach and roasted chicken for a quick lunch when I don't want to cook.

That sounds very limiting.
I made Fat Head pizza a few days ago. OMG, the BEST pizza I have ever eaten! It was so easy to whip up. My son came over for dinner, and the 2 of us could barely finish it. I topped it with fresh basil, garlic, pepperoni, peppers, a chopped Roma tomato.

I eat berries - raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries.

It's not at all limiting. It's a way of life. I've never felt healthier, never felt more energetic, and never been in better shape than when I am eating keto!

Old 07-22-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post

1. Your body runs most efficiently on glucose, as does your brain.
  2. The vegetables you are eating are mostly carbs.
  3. Sugar is not sugar no matter the source. Drinking a soda made from high fructose corn syrup is totally different than eating blueberries.
  4. Fruits are full of fiber.
  5. The best sources of energy come from carbs and fat and protein.
  6. Populations of the world with the highest longevity rates and lowest chronic diseases are those with the highest plant sources of nutrition in their diets.
  7. The healthiest diets are made up of whole foods from a wide variety of sources that limit animal products.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
There is really no difference between white and whole wheat flour. It's all carbs.

I no longer eat sugar or flour. The weight falls off without eating those things.

I eat protein, fat, and green veggies. I struggle to eat 1200 calories a day, simply because the fat and protein are so satisfying that I am not hungry. No food cravings. It's wonderful!
Really now? How long have you been doing that? What is your body fat percentage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss