Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 08:54 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Sure, it's possible. Either way, for someone (like me) who does not like meat very much and cannot tolerate high or moderate amounts of fat, it's just not a sustainable diet. No more than a high-carb diet could be sustainable for a diabetic.
Fair enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 01:52 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Really now? How long have you been doing that? What is your body fat percentage?
Here is my life story.

I ate this way pretty much all of my 20s and 30s. Weight was consistently around 130, even after birthing 3 children within 3 years. I was in good shape!

Then the DH issues started rearing...he became a raging alcoholic, with all the drama that that entails. Drunk driving, anger, outbursts, ER visits, medical issues, money issues, etc. etc. etc.

I became the children's protector, primary breadwinner by working 3 different jobs, and I was also the peacemaker between DH's alcoholic rages and our teenage boys' lives. Fun times. My stress level crept upwards "just a little bit". So my physical health took a back seat. Because of my crazy work schedule (I was working 3 different jobs), I began to grab food wherever I could on a quick break. Most of it was not healthy. Most of it was quick sandwiches, crackers, rice, pasta - high carb crap that was quick, cheap, and easy. Boil some pasta, throw some sauce on it, and there's dinner, for example. The weight came on. I was working 3 jobs, driving my children to and from school, had no time for exercise, and was sleeping from 2 am to 6 am. After a few years of this, my weight was over 200.

After DH died, my stress was significantly decreased. I took a look at what I had been doing (3 jobs! Eating crap, not sleeping, not exercising - my poor dog!), and changed it back to what had worked earlier in my life. Once again, I ditched the empty carbs, went back to protein, fat, and green veggies, and that weight fell off. I lost over 50 pounds in 4 months, and then lost 10 more in the next several months. And no, those 60 pounds were not all "water weight".

I feel SO MUCH BETTER, I have more energy, and I think more clearly.

So I will be eating this way for the rest of my life.

For ME, it works. It works GREAT! I've done it, seen the results (good), stopped doing it, seen those results (very bad), and am now back doing what works for me (very good)!

Old 07-24-2016, 12:31 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Here is my life story.

I ate this way pretty much all of my 20s and 30s. Weight was consistently around 130, even after birthing 3 children within 3 years. I was in good shape!

Then the DH issues started rearing...he became a raging alcoholic, with all the drama that that entails. Drunk driving, anger, outbursts, ER visits, medical issues, money issues, etc. etc. etc.

I became the children's protector, primary breadwinner by working 3 different jobs, and I was also the peacemaker between DH's alcoholic rages and our teenage boys' lives. Fun times. My stress level crept upwards "just a little bit". So my physical health took a back seat. Because of my crazy work schedule (I was working 3 different jobs), I began to grab food wherever I could on a quick break. Most of it was not healthy. Most of it was quick sandwiches, crackers, rice, pasta - high carb crap that was quick, cheap, and easy. Boil some pasta, throw some sauce on it, and there's dinner, for example. The weight came on. I was working 3 jobs, driving my children to and from school, had no time for exercise, and was sleeping from 2 am to 6 am. After a few years of this, my weight was over 200.

After DH died, my stress was significantly decreased. I took a look at what I had been doing (3 jobs! Eating crap, not sleeping, not exercising - my poor dog!), and changed it back to what had worked earlier in my life. Once again, I ditched the empty carbs, went back to protein, fat, and green veggies, and that weight fell off. I lost over 50 pounds in 4 months, and then lost 10 more in the next several months. And no, those 60 pounds were not all "water weight".

I feel SO MUCH BETTER, I have more energy, and I think more clearly.

So I will be eating this way for the rest of my life.

For ME, it works. It works GREAT! I've done it, seen the results (good), stopped doing it, seen those results (very bad), and am now back doing what works for me (very good)!
You are so lucky that you found something that works for you. Keep it up. We all need to find a path that works. I am successful because I found what works for me, and for me that means eating from all the food groups, but concentrating on whole fresh foods and staying away from processed crap. I do eat a moderate amount of whole grains with no ill effect whatsoever.
People need to experiment and to not give up if one way fails.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:45 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,227,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Be very mindful of fluid intake as it goes into fats cells for storage and expands them.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:03 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
I am definitely not disregarding individual progress using such high protein/high fat diets. In fact, as someone who has been through the weight loss journey, I applaud whatever diet works for you.

I'm just saying that I would never start any diet that is overly restrictive. Such diets are neither palatable nor sustainable to me. While I like meat and fat like the next person, excessive meat consumption (at least for me) negatively affects my digestive system, does not particularly stave off hunger, and is just not something I care to consume at every meal. I'm not a vegetarian either. FWIW, I lost weight eating moderate amounts of carbs (both simple and complex), protein, and fat. I ate, and continue to eat, fresh fruit, legumes, veggies, and small portions (4 oz) of meat. I eat all manner of potatoes. Every night I eat a small dessert. That diet was sustainable and easy to continue after weight loss because I didn't deprive myself of anything. I simply ate less..and to be honest, that ultimately is what causes weight loss - being in a caloric deficit - regardless of what type of diet you go on. All of them require calorie restriction. You will feel hungry until you train your body to get used to smaller portions of food. What worked for controlling hunger was the timing of my meals, not necessary what was included in the meal (within reason. I don't expect a cinnamon bun to have any staying power). I could make a 100 calorie bag of air popped popcorn tide me over for three hours.

Many people seem to always want to latch onto something to demonize - "don't eat this" - but ultimately the only thing that seems to work is eat less and move more.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:25 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I am definitely not disregarding individual progress using such high protein/high fat diets. In fact, as someone who has been through the weight loss journey, I applaud whatever diet works for you.

I'm just saying that I would never start any diet that is overly restrictive. Such diets are neither palatable nor sustainable to me. While I like meat and fat like the next person, excessive meat consumption (at least for me) negatively affects my digestive system, does not particularly stave off hunger, and is just not something I care to consume at every meal. I'm not a vegetarian either. FWIW, I lost weight eating moderate amounts of carbs (both simple and complex), protein, and fat. I ate, and continue to eat, fresh fruit, legumes, veggies, and small portions (4 oz) of meat. I eat all manner of potatoes. Every night I eat a small dessert. That diet was sustainable and easy to continue after weight loss because I didn't deprive myself of anything. I simply ate less..and to be honest, that ultimately is what causes weight loss - being in a caloric deficit - regardless of what type of diet you go on. All of them require calorie restriction. You will feel hungry until you train your body to get used to smaller portions of food. What worked for controlling hunger was the timing of my meals, not necessary what was included in the meal (within reason. I don't expect a cinnamon bun to have any staying power). I could make a 100 calorie bag of air popped popcorn tide me over for three hours.

Many people seem to always want to latch onto something to demonize - "don't eat this" - but ultimately the only thing that seems to work is eat less and move more.
This is me as well. I am an omnivore and that is what works for me. I have tried with limited success going low carb. I even managed to go for 6 whole months (what a pain it was too) thinking it was the key to my success. It was not. Now I am not knocking those that this type of plan works for, but not every plan works for every person. Every person that I have ever encountered that is relatively close to me have never been able to go low carb for any sustainable time frame.
Its all about commitment to lose weight and make the sacrifices needed to do so. When one is ready, really ready to lose weight they will find what works for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss