Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:12 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Actually, people eat more fat than before, not less... at least those who are overweight do.
Oh, I believe it. I was speaking specifically of people's well-intentioned but misguided strategy of eating low-fat products instead of eating real foods that are naturally low in fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 04:47 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,193,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Actually, people eat more fat than before, not less... at least those who are overweight do.
First many Americans eat too much junk fats plus too much sugar = "disaster".

Even with too much healthy fats plus too much sugar = "disaster".

It's the heavy combination of the two then add the processed food and portion size "annnnnd" sitting around.

I posted my story of my weight loss here in CD about 2 years ago.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:25 AM

19 posts, read 23,021 times
The problem is trusting the study and the resulting news blurb. You have to know who paid for the study, and actually read it before you blindly accept the findings that become the latest and greatest headlines. The industry with a vested interest in the outcome usually funds the study, so it's no surprise the study says what they wanted it to. This is only one example. If you do some research, you will find that big Pharma did the same with cholesterol studies. Their initial study was on smokers with high blood pressure AND elevated cholesterol. I've searched for years and can't find one study (not funded by big Pharma) that shows cholesterol by itself is in any way harmful. In fact, one long-term study from Norway shows that people with cholesterol over 250 live 10 years longer. Do your own research into the research.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:53 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
More to the point what about chickens and meat injected with steriods to fatten them up.....we re also drinking milk from cows that have been injected to make them produce more. so where does this fattening up stop once weve eaten it.. Its not sugar or fat... its ignorance of how much to eat or not to eat... It always amazes me that some people think potato crisps or chips and salted nuts are ok foods... some people should do some reading..and educate themselves instead of listening to these people who only have their own interests to serve.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:20 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,304,488 times
Years ago when I first went on a healthy food and work out regime I lost 6 pounds in one week by cutting out all sugar. SIX POUNDS!

Yes it is sometimes hard to eat healthy when you are on the go. I buy spinach wraps, fill it with turkey or chicken breast from the deli, add avocado, tomato, goat cheese or feta and some raw spinach or kale. Top with a little olive oil and I'm good to go. Takes 5 minutes and I'm not eating 600 calories at one meal. If you have to have fast food try a broiled chicken sandwich from Wendy's.

Sugar is the devil in our diets and it's added to almost everything that doesn't come out of the ground in its natural state. Yes, years ago it was all about giving up fat. I know many people who did this who didn't lose much weight. I cut all 90% of all sugar in my diet and eat very little processed foods. I have one cup of coffee in the morning with heavy cream, yes heavy cream not even half & half. I'm steadily losing weight just by cutting sugar and the bad carbs. I'm down 20 pounds in around a year AND I quit smoking at the same time.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 10-10-2016 at 08:51 AM..

Old 10-10-2016, 09:30 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
More to the point what about chickens and meat injected with steriods to fatten them up.....we re also drinking milk from cows that have been injected to make them produce more. so where does this fattening up stop once weve eaten it.. Its not sugar or fat... its ignorance of how much to eat or not to eat... It always amazes me that some people think potato crisps or chips and salted nuts are ok foods... some people should do some reading..and educate themselves instead of listening to these people who only have their own interests to serve.
Thank You! best sentence on the entire board.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:27 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,282,594 times
The key to a healthier America is more activity and a "diet" based upon moderation. Instead of eating a bowl of ice cream 5 nights a week, eat a bowl 2 nights a week. Also, flat out move around more. Instead of sitting or laying on the couch after a meal watching a live broadcast of your favorite tv show. DVR the tv show and go outside and walk for 30 minutes. Gaining weight is nothing but being lazy. Consuming too much and not moving around enough.

I lost 43 lbs in 5 months doing nothing but watching what I ate more and moving around a whole lot more. I was riding my bike 4-6 days a week for an hour a day at least and consuming between 1500-1700 calories a day. Been in maintenance mode since August and my weight fluctuates between 221 - 225, and 221 was where I stopped losing weight for a bit. Now, I'm eating what I want, when I want, and I'm exercising only 2-3 days a week. The key is, I'm still only eating in moderation, even though of expanded my "diet" to account for foods I wasn't eating while I was losing weight.

I've noticed now that I very seldom nap and I need far less sleep than when I was overweight. I have a lot more energy and I don't find myself wanting to eat crappy food daily. I went out of town last month and ate poorly each day I was out of town, but exercised while I was there. I got back home on a Sunday and it took me till Wednesday to finally start feeling "right" again. I was out of town 5 days, but the amount of food I consumed definitely took me out of my element. That's when it all clicked with me that I truly do have to watch what I'm consuming, because in those few days of eating poorly, I just didn't feel like myself at all.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:09 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
It's all basically fat people shifting the blame to various things when the truth is they're the ones repsonsible for being fat. And, yes, I'm overweight. Too much beer, pizza, and ice cream. It's not the beer/pizza/ice cream's fault.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:11 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Years ago when I first went on a healthy food and work out regime I lost 6 pounds in one week by cutting out all sugar. SIX POUNDS!

Yes it is sometimes hard to eat healthy when you are on the go. I buy spinach wraps, fill it with turkey or chicken breast from the deli, add avocado, tomato, goat cheese or feta and some raw spinach or kale. Top with a little olive oil and I'm good to go. Takes 5 minutes and I'm not eating 600 calories at one meal. If you have to have fast food try a broiled chicken sandwich from Wendy's.

Sugar is the devil in our diets and it's added to almost everything that doesn't come out of the ground in its natural state. Yes, years ago it was all about giving up fat. I know many people who did this who didn't lose much weight. I cut all 90% of all sugar in my diet and eat very little processed foods. I have one cup of coffee in the morning with heavy cream, yes heavy cream not even half & half. I'm steadily losing weight just by cutting sugar and the bad carbs. I'm down 20 pounds in around a year AND I quit smoking at the same time.
No, you most likely lost six pounds by not drinking water or taking a spectacular dump. It's high unlikely you ran a 3,000 calorie deficit seven days in a row. It's basically impossible that you were actually eating 3,000 calories of sugar a day which is what you're claiming. Honestly, you have to be extremely stupid to believe that.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:44 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,304,488 times
Believe what you want. I saw it and couldn't believe it myself. I ate a lot of sugar: sodas, dessert after dinner every night and a lot of processed foods. Everyone that knows me, whether family or friends, know that don't lie but you are free to believe whatever you want. It doesn't affect me one way or the other. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss