Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 04:05 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, you most likely lost six pounds by not drinking water or taking a spectacular dump. It's high unlikely you ran a 3,000 calorie deficit seven days in a row. It's basically impossible that you were actually eating 3,000 calories of sugar a day which is what you're claiming. Honestly, you have to be extremely stupid to believe that.
When I'm training for a century ride I can do that. I don't even want to know what my calorie burn is but I lose weight all over which sucks. Watching your muscle melt away at the same rate as everywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 06:54 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
I don't eat excessive amounts of anything, including carbs, and I've been doing ok following that mantra. Buying bread is not unhealthy. Eating grain is not unhealthy. Overeating is unhealthy. I don't care for, and do not eat, a lot of fat most days of the week. I use fat when I need to (i.e. cooking), but I will always go for the leanest of everything. Too much oil will make me physically ill. My diet is probably 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat and I feel content. My plate is traditional - 3-4 oz of lean meat, 1 cup of starchy foods, 1 cup or more of veggies. I like sugar and barring a medical issue I will continue to eat it. Calorie reduction and exercise are what worked in weight reduction and keeping weight off...not removing this and removing that.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:05 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
For me and sugar, it's way less than that. I add no sugar to my foods. I might eat a few berries or a small amount of fruit but that's it. The 25g is actually stated as total sugar which includes naturally occurring and added sugar. Sugar is not and never will be a necessary nutrient in anyone's diet.
Yeah. When you add on fruits and sugar in things like spaghetti sauce, cereal, etc then I'm probably closer to 50 g a day. But at least right now I'm burning that off with exercise.
My doc said that if you don't eat any sugar you might find yourself lacking in energy.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:54 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
My doc said that if you don't eat any sugar you might find yourself lacking in energy.
When you go on a low carb diet, the fat gives you the calories and the energy. Fat is more dense in calories than carbs and as long as you restrict the carbs when consuming said fats you can avoid the health issues (high cholesterol and triglycerides).

Ideal for me would be 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% from carbs.

Last edited by gguerra; 10-24-2016 at 09:06 AM..

Old 10-24-2016, 09:31 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
When you go on a low carb diet, the fat gives you the calories and the energy. Fat is more dense in calories than carbs and as long as you restrict the carbs when consuming said fats you can avoid the health issues (high cholesterol and triglycerides).

Ideal for me would be 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% from carbs.
Never worked for me. The worst workouts in my life occurred when I reduced carbs to a very low level and ate more fat. I felt like I was moving underwater half the time.
Very few athletes (I am no athlete) eat low carb simply because carbs are a more efficient fuel.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:19 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Never worked for me. The worst workouts in my life occurred when I reduced carbs to a very low level and ate more fat. I felt like I was moving underwater half the time.
Very few athletes (I am no athlete) eat low carb simply because carbs are a more efficient fuel.
I never said it was for athletes. It is for weight loss and in my case especially it is for blood sugar control/diabetes. Most use this for weight loss. I work out and bike 10 miles a day with no problems with fatigue and that is after a 10 hour work day (I'm no athlete either). So I wouldn't say this diet is for running marathons, but I can keep up with my daily life and stay healthy with very good lipid and blood glucose profiles. Not only that, I've lost 40+ lbs, lowered my blood pressure, eliminated my prostate problems and I feel much better.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:32 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
I never said it was for athletes. It is for weight loss and in my case especially it is for blood sugar control/diabetes. Most use this for weight loss. I work out and bike 10 miles a day with no problems with fatigue and that is after a 10 hour work day (I'm no athlete either). So I wouldn't say this diet is for running marathons, but I can keep up with my daily life and stay healthy with very good lipid and blood glucose profiles. Not only that, I've lost 40+ lbs, lowered my blood pressure, eliminated my prostate problems and I feel much better.
I think it is wonderful that you found something that works. Dieting is very individual because we all react differently. I am just very tired of the people, (not necessarily you) that tout low carb eating as the 'only' way to lose weight, or the 'best' way to eat.
Obviously low carb eating is beneficial for many. I happen to be one where it does not work for me at all. I know that I am not alone in that fact, so it gets old when so many on here want to argue that point.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:47 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,811 times
Quote:
It will be interesting to see what happens to the majority of people on these kinds of eating regimens after 30 years or so. There's really no long term studies on this to date. My feeling is that long terms studies are going to show significant increase in risk factors for heart disease, stroke, and cancer.

So far, in terms of long and healthy lives, the research shows that the healthiest diets are those that are the highest in terms of carbs.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:44 PM

667 posts, read 1,848,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
It will be interesting taee what happens to the majority of people on these kinds of eating regimens after 30 years or so. There's really no long term studies on this to date. My feeling is that long terms studies are going to show significant increase in risk factors for heart disease, stroke, and cancer.

So far, in terms of long and healthy lives, the research shows that the healthiest diets are those that are the highest in terms of carbs.
Just a Guy, I saw Mark Hyman on public television talking about his diet plan. I got his book "Eat Fat Get Thin."

It's a mostly plant based high fat diet. It includes fish and grass fed meat; the latter is optional. (Grass fed beef is low fat, I buy it.) Dairy is not allowed.

It encourages good quality fats from plants, but not processed vegetable oils. You are allowed moderate protein and very low glycemic load (so sugar, flour, refined carbs are not allowed) . No processed foods.

It is high in vegetables and fruits, especially if they are deep in color and low in glycemic index.

You are supposed to get your blood tested and adjust the diet so you optimize your health.

It does seem to be a high fat diet.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:10 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,811 times
The current body of science is clear on what the healthiest way of eating is. Will that change in the future? Maybe, but I think most people would be much wiser to follow what the overwhelming body of evidence currently shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss