Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 02:16 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Now we eat 150-270 pounds yearly, on average.
That can't be right. 150 pounds would work out to be 186 grams per day. 270 would be 335 grams per day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 03:48 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
That can't be right. 150 pounds would work out to be 186 grams per day. 270 would be 335 grams per day.
You're right! Good catch. I mis-typed the second number. It should be 170 lbs. of sugar and not 270. Got my figures from several sources.

This is what Dr. Oz says, " Dr. Mehmet Oz, MD , Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered (in response to question of how much sugar we Americans consume per year):

The average person consumes 150 pounds of sugar per year–compared to just 7 ½ pounds consumed on average in the year 1700. That's 20 times as much! When typical slightly overweight people eat sugar, they on average store 5 percent as ready energy to use later, metabolize 60 percent and store a whopping 35 percent as fat that can be converted to energy later.

Interestingly, 50 percent of the sugar we consume today comes from high-fructose corn syrup in fat-free foods like salad dressings and regular soft drinks."

That's kind of a wake-up call, isn't it? Hidden sugar in fat-free food products.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:29 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,811 times
Quote:
You're right! Good catch. I mis-typed the second number. It should be 170 lbs. of sugar and not 270. Got my figures from several sources.

This is what Dr. Oz says, " Dr. Mehmet Oz, MD , Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered (in response to question of how much sugar we Americans consume per year):

The average person consumes 150 pounds of sugar per year–compared to just 7 ½ pounds consumed on average in the year 1700. That's 20 times as much! When typical slightly overweight people eat sugar, they on average store 5 percent as ready energy to use later, metabolize 60 percent and store a whopping 35 percent as fat that can be converted to energy later.

Interestingly, 50 percent of the sugar we consume today comes from high-fructose corn syrup in fat-free foods like salad dressings and regular soft drinks."

That's kind of a wake-up call, isn't it? Hidden sugar in fat-free food products.
We've also gone from just over 100lbs of meat consumption around 1900 to almost 180 pounds per person today. The saturated fat in meat is just as bad as sugar.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:58 PM

13,241 posts, read 7,295,079 times
If you simply buy raw foods cook and prepare it yourself you will never not know what you are eating. It's that simple really if you continue to eat fast food which I will include anything that comes frozen, or in a can you will be un-healthy. Spend some time in the kitchen learn to cook stop eating junk.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:14 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,187 times
Quote:
The average person consumes 150 pounds of sugar per year
That's still 186 grams per day! That's a lot of soda and candy to get that high. 12 ounces of Coca Cola is 39 grams. The average candy bar is about 25 grams. I find it hard to believe that the average person is consuming that much.

The USRD is 44 grams per day. The world health organization recommends 25 grams per day.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:37 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
The problem is with excess calorie consumption and bad genetics more than it is specifically sugar or fat. In general people can live without carbohydrates but cannot live without fat and protein. A balanced diet is best and if you're thin and feel good and don't smell there's no reason to change your diet.

The problem is we age too fast... 20's are our prime, 30's are the parenting years, 40's things start breaking down, and it's only downhill from there. Our society worships youth and for good reason... life goes by too fast. We were not really meant to live to 80 from an evolutionary standpoint.. no matter how good a diet you have, you probably won't live that much longer than the next ******* living on junk food with better genetics than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
We've also gone from just over 100lbs of meat consumption around 1900 to almost 180 pounds per person today. The saturated fat in meat is just as bad as sugar.
So what you're saying is we eat more calories than in 1900? Plus we are less active? Hmm.... I believe you're right about saturated fat not being the best, too. The best diet would be lots of greens and lean meats or eggs. Choline is important for the liver so eggs are good to have... big 16 ounce thing of spinach or spring mix from wally world, some dressing with canola oil that is higher in oleic acid, shredded carrots, tomatoes, some real bacon bits, and a bit of shredded cheese.. delicious meal, fairly healthy, low carb, lower in saturated fat, decent protein, high in oleic acid if you choose the right dressing.

Last edited by sholomar; 11-20-2016 at 07:50 PM..

Old 11-20-2016, 08:27 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
186 grams per day seems insanely high, even with hidden sugar in breads and stuff.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-21-2016, 09:31 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
186 grams per day seems insanely high, even with hidden sugar in breads and stuff.
Fruit and fruit juice were easy things to cut for me. A cup of cranberry juice has 31 grams of sugar, Ocean Spray Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice is 26 grams. Just have a Coke. Never been a soda drinker even before I paid attention to what I was eating. I was a big fan of fruit and fruit juices though. If I had a 16-oz cup of juice and then a large pear, that's already 80 grams or so of sugar. Milk has a lot of sugar as well. If you're big breakfast type, having a 16-oz cup of fruit juice, big bowl of low sugar cereal (say Cheerios, 2.4 grams for two servings -- nobody eats one) with 8-ounces of milk and a large pear -- that's 90 grams of sugar and we're only at breakfast. Then you throw in a 20-oz soda with lunch and you're at 150, even if you didn't have ANY sugar with lunch. If you sweeten your coffee or tea, that's 4 grams a tea spoon. I can see 180 grams in a day. Those stupid little Yoplait yogurts? 26 grams of sugar. I used to like them as basically my palate was configured for extreme amounts of sugary things. Now I can't even eat them. I actually like unsweetened cranberry juice, which even that has 10 grams per cup, and the cranberry cocktail juices are more like the Yoplait and so sweet I find them unpalatable.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:06 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
That's still 186 grams per day! That's a lot of soda and candy to get that high. 12 ounces of Coca Cola is 39 grams. The average candy bar is about 25 grams. I find it hard to believe that the average person is consuming that much.

The USRD is 44 grams per day. The world health organization recommends 25 grams per day.
They probably aren't but then just figure you're just kind of blindly following the old food pyramid. Three servings of milk is about 39 grams of sugar, three servings of apples is 75 grams of sugar. Now apples are very high sugar but apples, pears are pretty generic "fruits." People are way more likely to think of an apple than a bunch of olives or an avocado. Pastas and breads, even if you're picking relatively healthy ones, also have smaller amounts of sugar. If you're getting 8 servings and each has 2 grams of sugar, well there's 16 grams. Vegetables have sugar.

USRD and WHO are recommendations for added or free sugar. Eg, if bread often has sugar added but wheat also has sugar in it. The problem is something like blended fruit juices may not ADD sugar, they just use lots of apple, pear, or grape juice or pureed bananas. Eg, Naked Green Machine which is a vegetable/fruit blend (heavy on the fruit). Yeah, there's no sugar added. It still has 28 grams of sugar per cup though. Just have a can of coke and a small piece of broccoli and the only difference is you're missing a few vitamins. Guidelines really need to move away from added sugar to sugar. Sugar is sugar. It really doesn't matter if it's coming from everybody's favorite whipping boy, high fructose corn syrup, or from "juice" that's 90% apple, pear, and banana puree mixed in with a few sprinkles of vegetables that are juiced to remove all the dietary fiber anyway.

It's a bit more complicated as you get into how the body breaks down sucrose versus fructose. Particularly for diabetics, stick with the high fructose corn syrup or naturally occurring fructose in apple. Fructose is fructose. Sucrose is Sucrose. Pretending there's a difference between 20 grams of fructose in apple juice and 20 grams of fructose in HFCS sweetened soda is lunacy though. It's 20 grams of fructose. Probably better than 20 grams of sucrose, although you have concerns with lipemia with fructose which is less well understand than glycemia. Point is, though, your body really doesn't give two sniffs whether it's "added" fructose form a soda or naturally occurring fructose from an apple (minus the dietary fiber in an apple, which isn't in apple juice anyway). Yet the completely stupid dietary recommendations treat them differently. Nobody is talking about an apple juice tax like they are a soda tax because we're caught up on this delusion that added sugar is something different than naturally occurring sugar.

Last edited by Malloric; 11-21-2016 at 10:54 PM..

Old 11-22-2016, 12:37 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
I don't bother to count grams of sugar. I reduced my diabetes risk by losing weight and exercising regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss