Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 09:04 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times

Advertisements

Could be too that cholesterol isn't the big bad enemy we're told it is. As I said a couple comments back, my folks lived into 90's and I don't recall cholesterol ever mentioned and they ate everything. What came first the drug or the condition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 09:06 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Could be too that cholesterol isn't the big bad enemy we're told it is. As I said a couple comments back, my folks lived into 90's and I don't recall cholesterol ever mentioned and they ate everything. What came first the drug or the condition?
Then they are like my Mom, she eat everything (she's thin) and her cholesterol is great. Nonetheless, others are different. My doctor can tell if I haven't exercised by reading my numbers, because they reflect how I am treating my body.

As was just mentioned, with others, it's genetic.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-29-2016, 09:53 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
You seem to be implying that "normal" cholesterol levels are not a predictor of heart disease. That article is concluding that "normal" levels of cholesterol are unhealthy and that to be considered healthy with lowered risk, levels should be substantially lower.

"Normal" levels of cholesterol are actually predictors of heart disease.
Low Cholesterol? Don't Brag Quite Yet

Old 09-29-2016, 10:17 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Well, yeah. It is not the only indicator, but it is one of many.

I'm kinda in the group the article refers to, not because I am overweight, but because I have RA so my body has lots of inflammation.

My blood sugar runs high on occasion, I have ideopathic high BP, and I get the high protein readings every once in a while.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-30-2016, 09:29 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
"They have a condition known as metabolic syndrome, a cluster of risk factors that include mild hypertension, elevated glucose levels, high triglycerides and low levels of H.D.L. cholesterol."

Yeah, no kidding. Cholesterol is only one of a number of markers that are predictive of cardiovascular disease. All of them are simply symptoms of lifestyle factors that cause the disease.

You don't even need these markers to predict someone's chance of having coronary artery disease. Simply watch their eating habits and physical activity levels.

Last edited by Just A Guy; 09-30-2016 at 10:18 AM..

Old 10-25-2016, 09:20 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
I recently had a blood test a few weeks ago, and one a few months before that as my doctor is monitoring my blood for uric acid levels. Originally I went to see him in regards to gout which I suffer from in the past and my uric acid levels were high.

Also concerning was my blood profile from the test a few months ago. My cholesterol was high at 283, my HDL was good at 71, but my LDL was high at 171. My triglycerides were very high at 200 and I was borderline pre-diabetic at 101 fasting blood sugar level. My C reactive protein was very good though at less than 0.3. Don't think I was tested for homocysteine.

My most recent test, the total cholesterol went down slightly to 255, but my HDL fell to 55 and my LDL went up slightly to 183, which is a very bad ratio for the 'good' HDL to 'bad' LDL. My triglycerides though improved to 85 and fasting blood sugar to 81.

My doctor is concerned about those numbers and is urging me to go on statins, which I am considering. They do seem to have nasty side effects though.

The most recent blood test was done after I started to exercise more and lost some weight, and started taking some natural supplements.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:20 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_9CmmLg1dw

This MD talks about the cholesterol fear.

My homocysteine is coming down by taking Omega 3, TMG, methylfolate, P5P and B12...

Statins offer lovely side effects.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:43 PM

For Zen88 to maybe read thru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss