Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 01:20 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,494,222 times

Advertisements

The Cholesterol Myth - and what to do about it?

You may want to actually read the article before commenting. I will (not) respond accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 01:55 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,915,484 times
  1. Cholesterol is required to for the body to function. So are other substances required that are also unhealthy in high amounts.
  2. Cholesterol is one of many predictors of heart disease.
  3. One of the biggest factors in inflammation is saturated animal fat.
  4. Sugar may not be good for you, but it is just the latest in a long line of scapegoats. What is bad are processed, refined foods whether they are white flour, sugar, or supposedly "healthful" supplements. Sugar is no worse than any other fully processed foodstuff. The more a food is refined, the less beneficial it will be for your health... and the more you ingest, the more negative health effects there will be.
  5. Low cholesterol being linked with depression, aggression, Alzheimer’s, or suicidal thoughts was debunked years ago.
  6. Diets containing whole grains have been shown repeatedly to have positive health effects.
  7. Saturated fat in animal products has been shown to promote insulin resistance.
  8. High cholesterol does not cause heart disease. It is simply a symptom of the factors that are causing heart disease.
  9. The "low fat" diets that were studied that supposedly had no effect on lowering heart disease risk were, in fact not low fat. They were 30% of calories from fats. Low fat is 10% or fewer calories from fat.
  10. The reference to the Pima Indians in the video below the article being high grain is very disingenuous. The Pimas eat a high fat/highly processed diet. Their traditional diet was high carbohydrate, low fat and unprocessed (70–80% carbohydrate, 8–12% fat, and 12–18% protein). They had no issues with diabetes or obesity. Neither do their modern day equivalents, the Pima of Mexico, who eat mostly beans, potatoes, and corn tortillas.
There is ample evidence that a largely unprocessed, low animal product, high plant based diet is optimal for health and longevity. There is no evidence that high fat, low carbohydrate is conducive to health over the long term. All I can say is good luck to all of the high animal fat/protein crowd who are experimenting with their health. You will be the "canaries in the coal mine" as the years go by and this plays out for you.

Last edited by Just A Guy; 09-28-2016 at 03:12 PM..

Old 09-28-2016, 05:16 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,833,165 times
Funny that the article comes from a low carb website. Not necessarily an unbiased source.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:10 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,949,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
The Cholesterol Myth - and what to do about it?

You may want to actually read the article before commenting. I will (not) respond accordingly.

My first husband died of a myth? Fascinating.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-28-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Funny that the article comes from a low carb website. Not necessarily an unbiased source.
I never said anything about the article being biased one way or another. It offers a point of view that is contrary to what we've been lead to believe. In essence, that cholesterol does not cause heart disease.

The article mentions 3 books.
The Great Cholesterol Myth
Cholesterol Clarity
The Big Fat Surprise

It lists 20 bullet points on these books. The article is not about weight loss but more about heart health, cholesterol, triglycerides etc and how they are affected by diet.

All I can say is read the bullet points to see what I am talking about. If you don't agree with it, that's your prerogative but that's what I believe and we can agree to disagree.

This forum may be opinion based and everyone is entitled to their own but these books are based on scientific studies just like everything we've been "told" for decades.

Last edited by gguerra; 09-28-2016 at 07:32 PM..

Old 09-28-2016, 07:32 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,949,541 times
Quote:

It lists 20 bullet points on these books. The article is not about weight loss but more about heart health, cholesterol, triglycerides etc and how they are affected by diet.

Yes, my late husband had bad numbers, ate lots and lots of meat and died at 43.

I read the article, which was take aways from 3 books they are selling. Not really the place I go to for peer reviewed studies.

Everyone is free to eat as they want. In youth, anything you put in your mouth makes little difference. It starts catching up with you in your 40s and beyond.

I do very well on whole grains, veggies, fruit and a little meat. My blood sugar is good, as is cholesterol, triglycerides and all the other numbers.

My RA is more manageable with less animal products.

My current husband was big on the heavy protein low carb. At 50 he has spent the last 4 years nursing injuries. He basically has been on recovery for all of them for 4 years. Now he is out of shape and still recovering, while I hit the gym.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-28-2016, 09:28 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,797,441 times
I've been involved with the Weston Price Foundation for some 20 yrs and have trust in their info.

Myths & Truths About Cholesterol - Weston A Price

My integrative MD a few years ago did extensive lipid panels and found my homocysteine levels elevated and that is mentioned in the above link too. I've been working for 3 yrs to bring the homocysteine levels down. I'm not concerned about cholesterol and believe we NEED good cholesterol.

I don't know how thorough conventional MD's are with the homocysteine levels.

My folks ate everything and meat every day of their lives and lived into their 90's and I don't think cholesterol was a word in most of their lives...yet the tests done today and the fear of cholesterol. And the major PUSH for damaging statin drugs.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:14 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,245,786 times
We always hear a lot of resistance to plant-based protein when the carb/protein subject comes up. Does the low/no carb crowd want to hear anything contrary to their desire to control weight with a diet that caters to their appetites, i.e. eat lots of meat?

Recipe for any popular diet; "eat what you like"

Old 09-29-2016, 06:35 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,987,050 times
Quote:
I never said anything about the article being biased one way or another. It offers a point of view that is contrary to what we've been lead to believe. In essence, that cholesterol does not cause heart disease.

The article mentions 3 books.
The Great Cholesterol Myth
Cholesterol Clarity
The Big Fat Surprise

All I can say is read the bullet points to see what I am talking about. If you don't agree with it, that's your prerogative but that's what I believe and we can agree to disagree.

This forum may be opinion based and everyone is entitled to their own but these books are based on scientific studies just like everything we've been "told" for decades.
I wouldn't know. The article prompted me to buy The Cholesterol Myth from Amazon for $15.80 and offered to add it to my Amazon cart. I'm not buying a rather unscientific sounding book from a low carb website to find out if it's based on scientific studies, especially since I'm pretty sure it's not. I would rather go directly to the source: scientific studies themselves, which can be easily accessed on the internet. However, I am skeptical of any blog or article that bashes "Big Pharma" and claims that medications are always manufactured purely for profit. As a person who depends on anticonvulsants to survive, I know that's not true.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I wouldn't know. The article prompted me to buy The Cholesterol Myth from Amazon for $15.80 and offered to add it to my Amazon cart. I'm not buying a rather unscientific sounding book from a low carb website to find out if it's based on scientific studies, especially since I'm pretty sure it's not. I would rather go directly to the source: scientific studies themselves, which can be easily accessed on the internet. However, I am skeptical of any blog or article that bashes "Big Pharma" and claims that medications are always manufactured purely for profit. As a person who depends on anticonvulsants to survive, I know that's not true.
The pages I linked to do not prompt you to buy anything. That is optional. You may not be too familiar with Amazon. It is not just a place to buy but it is a great resource from the reviews that real people leave for any product, not just books. I am definitely not selling anything. I recently quit taking statins after 10 years. Thanks but no thanks. No more aches and pains. Cholesterol is not what it's made out to be.

As for big pharma, I guess you and I are opposites. I detest strongly what they have done to the American public in the name of profit ahead of everything else. I don't even need to go into details.

The actual trend is not low carb/high protein, it's low carb/high fat. And when I say fats, I mean healthy fats. Some fat from meat, but mostly from other sources. Too much protein is not good. It raises insulin levels which leads to obesity or at least prevents healthy weight loss. Even Atkins, which I do not follow is changing their ways to include more fats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss