Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 03:12 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
This is more along my way of thinking. There is no sacrifice in eating this way. You will not feel like you are depriving youself. On the contrary, you feel satisfied and hunger does not even enter your mind. This one fact makes it more sustainable. It does take time to become adapted but after that it becomes automatic and natural and right on topic, "no fight to become obese".
This way of eating is not for everyone. And there is plenty of sacrifice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 07:06 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
This is more along my way of thinking. There is no sacrifice in eating this way. You will not feel like you are depriving youself. On the contrary, you feel satisfied and hunger does not even enter your mind. This one fact makes it more sustainable. It does take time to become adapted but after that it becomes automatic and natural and right on topic, "no fight to become obese".
It's great that this works well for you, but for me, there would be plenty of sacrifice. I've tried it. It was terrible (for me).

What works for me is a fair amount of protein, carbs up to around 150 (anywhere from 100-150, really), lots of protein, veggies, fruit and yogurt and some treat-y stuff. I don't feel any sacrifice this way.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:42 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:

Not for me. The inflammation in my body shoots through the roof, and I end up literally looking as sick as I feel.

I do well on a variety of whole grains, veggies, some fruits and lean proteins. Usually only have meat on weekends.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-06-2016, 10:42 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm nobody to wag a finger and I love junk as much as the next person, AND I love studies perhaps more than the next person, but you can't see that there must be some reason people historically were not obese but now are, and it's likely down to total volume plus a large percentage of processed foods? What else could it be? Aliens didn't come down and inject us with a mystery fat gene in the 80s.
It's not that food is processed (and that term is really ambiguous and misunderstood) but that it is very calorie dense and cheap, and people's activity levels have gone down substantially.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:51 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,753,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Congratulations to your daughter!

I belong to a weight loss forum. It's gigantic, so everyone knows it. I have not yet seen one single person, literally, who has to eat less than 1200 calories to lose weight. Not one. When a person claims s/he has to eat "like 800 calories" or whatever ridiculousness, when questioned it ALWAYS turns out the person doesn't actually count calories but is just guessing. Then when s/he posts a typical day the calories are much much much higher than her estimate. Each and every time.

These are people who have yo-yo'd for years and should have "broken metabolisms," people with health conditions, people who are barely five feet tall, people who formerly had eating disorders, people who are elderly...everybody.

There may be conditions that cause a person to have to eat less than they "normally" "should" have (though isn't that subjective anyway? We all think we SHOULD be able to eat more than we do) but how much less? Not ridiculous, low amounts and NO, you do not have to have an eating disorder in order not to be obese, unless you literally have such a significant, and dangerous, metabolic disorder that you will gain on ridiculously low amounts...in which case you have other effects, are almost certainly currently hospitalized and may need assisted breathing and kidney function. Because "a broken metabolism" doesn't just make you tired and make it hard to lose weight. Metabolism does not just govern weight.
Thank you for your post.
I don't know how many calories per day she eats to lose that much weight. But I know exercise is not part of it. She tried dieting before and found it hard too. She gave up.
In the end she just discovered portion control. She went from size 8 to size 2. The reason I mention her size because she was not an obese person to start out with, and to lose 40 lbs is tremendous. Not something I would do or recommend. She was worried about her BMI and that's her motivation.
She showed her sister and I that there's a way to lose weight. Sure enough I did lose 10lbs, my oldest kid lost 5-10lbs. What I've also found working is that if I drink a glass of lemon water in the morning, it seems to speed up my metabolism. My oldest kid found lemon water useful as well.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:13 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,054 times
You're fat because you have no self-control.

Lookup the Twinkie Diet, 2/3 of his food intake was what you would find at a convenience store. Using self-control and reducing his caloric intake he lost weight.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:57 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7freak7 View Post
This is just depressing:

The Fat Trap - The New York Times

No solution proposed either. Basically to be skinny requires a permanent eating disorder.

I've been on a diet since I was 10 years old. Jenny Craig. Phen Phen at 17. Developed an eating disorder in my late 20's (and lasted into my 30's) doing bikini competitions, which wrecked my metabolism. I've regained my 30 pounds and can't seem to get it off again. I have no idea what to do anymore and knowing that my genetics are fighting against me doesn't help. On a positive note, at a BMI of 26, I'm not fat enough for gastric sleeve, but enough to irritate me nonetheless.
Try the 5:2 diet. It basically involves eating normally 5 days per week and eating about 600 calories 2 days per week. It really isn't a diet, but a way of life. This guy in the video isn't religious, but mentions that the Koran recommends this diet. He also notes pretty much all the world's major religions tell people to fast regularly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWtaLLjJzn4&t=9s

Old 12-15-2016, 10:43 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7freak7 View Post
This is just depressing:

The Fat Trap - The New York Times

No solution proposed either. Basically to be skinny requires a permanent eating disorder.

I've been on a diet since I was 10 years old. Jenny Craig. Phen Phen at 17. Developed an eating disorder in my late 20's (and lasted into my 30's) doing bikini competitions, which wrecked my metabolism. I've regained my 30 pounds and can't seem to get it off again. I have no idea what to do anymore and knowing that my genetics are fighting against me doesn't help. On a positive note, at a BMI of 26, I'm not fat enough for gastric sleeve, but enough to irritate me nonetheless.
I can't believe you give that article credence. Read it carefully; no info is given about what the maintenance diet was that they were given. Furthermore, it was a very severe diet; 800 calories a day! The body goes into starvation mode on something like that, so that a return to anything close to a normal number of calories (even if carbs are kept low) would cause a weight gain. The diet itself was designed for longer-term failure.

And you're using this as an excuse to not lose weight? This is a perfect example of how NOT to do it. See an endocrinologist, who will show you how to use your endocrine system to facilitate weight loss. (Key: cut back on carbs, increase protein.) And exercise with weights 3-4 times/wk.

Also, read the NY Times' latest article from this Tuesday about how different people respond best to different diets. No one's saying weight loss can't be done. They're saying not everyone responds the same.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:21 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
To maintain a healthy weight means permanent awareness and diligence. No big news here.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:03 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Am I a horrible person for thinking "Mississippi" every single time I read the thread title "Our Bodies Fight to Return to Obese States"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss