Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 05:06 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Low carb diets by themselves do not satisfy any cravings. Low carb HIGH fat diets satisfy cravings. The missing part is the high fat. Fat does not make you fat when consumed in the absence of carbohydrates. This is a known fact. You may ask why, simply put it is hormones, mainly insulin and no insulin is not just a concern for diabetics. As we all know, fat is very high in calories.

A couple of examples of this would be a nice garden salad, with homemade vinaigrette made with EVOO, and plenty of cheese. This could be high in fat but WILL NOT make you fat. IF you start to mix in things like croutons, things could change.

On the other hand, when consuming high fat WITH carbohydrates, you can bet it will pack on some pounds if you eat enough of it. A good example of this would be the ice cream (already mentioned), a fully loaded pizza or fried chicken.

So no, it doesn't come down to just calories and I didn't even mention protein which does raise blood sugar (some) and provokes an insulin response.
I must disagree a bit. I ate low carb for a year, without regard for calories or fat. By this I mean, under 25 carbs a day. By eating high protein, low simple carbs, I was never hungry and was hard pressed to come anywhere near 1000-1200 calories a day. When you eat this way, you are not hungry enough to worry about calories.
Afterawhile, for variety, I had pasta once a week or so, and ate root vegetables and beans. The only big pitfall to the low carb life is breakfast. I can barely look at an egg anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 11:33 AM

60 posts, read 51,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I did the same thing as you and lost 60 lbs. It all comes down to calories with me and making the best choices (and sometimes not the best choices) within my caloric range. I eat a wide variety of foods, too. All I can say is that I am finally liberated from dieting hell with the "don't eat this, don't eat that". Not only would macro restrictive diets be a failure for me, it would promote binge eating because I'd be denying myself foods that I desire. It's a lifelong commitment for me and knowing myself, I couldn't commit to such diets.
Big congrats on your loss!

Old 03-29-2017, 12:16 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady400 View Post
Big congrats on your loss!
Thank you! And same to you!! 125 lbs???? that's awesome!! I used to be a size 18 and now I'm a size 8/10. It took about 10 months, averaging about a pound per week. I am 41 years old.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:24 PM

12,033 posts, read 6,564,574 times
This thread has been so helpful!
I have been trying to lose 12 pounds for three years with no luck. I eat very healthy, but thanks to this thread, I realized my portions were way too big.
I've never counted calories in my life, as I was truly blessed with a metabolism that somehow kept me thin while eating like a horse.

I am female, 65, weighted 137 two weeks ago, and am 5'6"
I have tiny tiny bones, and have always weighted 120-125 since college, and I feel most healthy in that range, and my back and knees don't hurt in that range as they do now with this extra 12 lbs on.

A few years ago, I started piling on the weight and do to never having dieted before, I was at a loss. I exercise a fair amount as we homestead on a farm and grow most of our food here. Plus we raise livestock, so I am pretty fit for my age.

This thread woke me up to calories in/calories out -- was totally embarrassed about never counting a calorie before!
What a change! Counting, measuring, researching various food calories.

Yikes I must have been eating double what I needed everyday. So this is grueling, as I'm used to large portions, and
am blown away when I measure and see how dinky of a portion I can have now!

For my age and activity level (moderate) my maintenance came in at 1,800 c and to lose only one lb a week, I can only eat 1,300C a day for a 500c deficit a day.
Ugh, that's hard for me, but I have lost 3 lbs in two weeks due to some days having a larger than 500c deficit. Tender Celery heart stalks have become my new best friends -- they are crunchy and filling and only 6 calories when I am hunger crazy.

Thanks for all the advice and tips here, and big kudos to all you who have had to be doing this for years!!!

Old 04-12-2017, 09:29 AM

4 posts, read 2,423 times
WyattE, I preach to everyone having weight loss challenges that the only way to break through a plateau and keep the weight off long term to is find and hire a good coach. I had a coach years ago that helped me immensely, and I was so inspired that I became a coach myself. Look for someone who is qualified, has references, will listen to your history over the phone, give you long term strategies and keep you accountable. You've got to be patient. I know how it feels to be hopeless and confused by the contradicting online info.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:33 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,355,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
I did the Ketogenic diet for a couple of months until I plateaued. Now I can't drop any more weight but I did drop 30 lbs from that diet. I've been reviewing the internet for info on how to break this plateau however by doing that, I'm more confused than ever. Does it really just come down to calorie restriction per day? If I hit my calorie target and exercise 20-30 minutes a day, is that all I should focus on and just be happy with the weight I've already dropped? I got about 20 more lbs. to go but they will be the lbs. that the body won't want to let go of.
thanks for any advice.
Switch to carbs and low fat for a few weeks. Then go back to keto again. And what I mean is something like rice and zero fat with veggies and fruit. You can even have some honey or molasses. Your body will signal its full as soon as keto was but you will not have the efficiencies.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:47 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,355,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You want to get the most from the calories you do eat. Whole foods with lots of nutrients and fiber and healthy fats that keep you satiated.
There are plenty of people who will argue until they are blue in the face that calories do not matter, but it really comes down to burning more calories than you take in, whether you are eating low carb or not.

I do not eat low carb, I eat a plant based diet with lots of whole grains, legumes and vegetables. This is what works for me. It of course is not for everyone.
The best way to keep track is to keep a food journal either on line or manually. List portion sizes and calories of each food. You will be surprised at how much you are actually eating. This will give you guidance to make the best food choices you can.
Plateau's happen no matter which way you choose to eat. But you should be able to break them within a week or two. Exercise is a great way to break them. Up your effort, get your heart rate up and keep it up. Interval training is great for that. If you lift weights at all lift a bit heavier. Push yourself. Your body will adapt. And change up something in your diet.

Its not just the calories. When you eat fat with carbs the fat is not available for energy because of insulin. Its not even just the dietary fat. You've cut off your own fat. So the cells delay the hormonal full response(leptin). Even worse is the dietary fat also delays glucose absorption, which is why insulin goes even higher than with just sugars and carbs alone. So you can eat enormous amounts of calories well before your brain gets the message. Think of what can happen in just 15 minutes.

He is a simple test.

Try eating potatoes...It will not be long before you've had enough. The glucose will quickly reach the cells even as insulin cuts off the fat metabolism.

Next day have some butter, just the butter. It will likely taste good but the appetite will be very controlled. Fat energy is getting to the cells and the fat cells know its being replaced.

The satiety signaling is working 100%

Next time combine the two. You'll probably eat more potatoes and more butter. The butter cannot make it to the cells , and the sugars will also be blocked until the insulin levels rise high enough to get them through.

Sugar is even worse. Try honey and butter on some bread. Fat in no time at all, not to mention possible digestive issues.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:43 PM

7,118 posts, read 12,659,449 times
No.

Where the calories come from matters immensely.

Don't believe me?

Eat 2000 calories from a balanced diet daily or eat 2000 calories of Cool Whip daily.

After a year, compare your body composition, your health (if you're still alive) and judge your health, fitness, and shape delivered by each 2000 calorie/day diet.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:04 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
No.

Where the calories come from matters immensely.

Don't believe me?

Eat 2000 calories from a balanced diet daily or eat 2000 calories of Cool Whip daily.

After a year, compare your body composition, your health (if you're still alive) and judge your health, fitness, and shape delivered by each 2000 calorie/day diet.
I hear you, but you can lose weight eating just cool whip or twinkies. This has been debated for years, but when it comes down to it, it's calories in vs. calories out. If you create a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Now, being healthy and not having a host of other issues is another thing entirely. That is why weight loss/weight management experience is a lot more complex than simply dropping pounds.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:41 PM

7,118 posts, read 12,659,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I hear you, but you can lose weight eating just cool whip or twinkies. This has been debated for years, but when it comes down to it, it's calories in vs. calories out. If you create a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Now, being healthy and not having a host of other issues is another thing entirely. That is why weight loss/weight management experience is a lot more complex than simply dropping pounds.
Not so sure about this calorie in vs. calorie out concept. Think it's been disproved. There are numerous articles/studies about how calories from different food groups (fats, sugars, carbs <and complex vs. simple>, and proteins are metabolized and stored differently in the body.

Hence all the advice to avoid "simple white carbs" and seek complex carbs from whole grains, beans/pulses and vegetables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss