Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 02:15 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
You mean like cellulose? Those have calories.
What in the world do you think a calorie is? It's not a nutrient, like protein or vitamin C or calcium. A calorie cannot cause intestinal distress. It's a unit of measurement, not a substance.

Quote:
Yeah, like durian , ya know, just like I said.
Foods can cause GI distress. A calorie is a unit of measurement. It cannot cause GI distress.

Quote:
Then you are babbling as you please about something you know nothing about. Go ahead though. I mean its not like free fatty acids matter. An Omega3 , Omega6 or an Omega9 is all just calories. That's all it is.
Fatty acids are fatty acids. A calorie is a measurement of the energy content of those fatty acids. There are no magic, superior combinations of foods. If you omit entire groups of foods from your diet, as vegetarians and vegans do, then you do have to be careful to make sure your diet meets all nutritional needs, like taking vitamin B12 for example. Someone eating a mixed diet with a variety of and appropriate quantity of foods will do fine. No routine supplements are even needed.

Quote:
mmkay so why don't you tell me when the energy in olive oil reaches any mitochondria, would it be sooner with or without crackers ya think?
You ducked my question, I see. What is the source for your rather peculiar version of biochemistry? The composition of a meal may alter the rate of absorption of nutrients but your mitochondria are quite happy whether you have recently eaten anything or not, assuming you are not starving.

I guess you did not read the link I gave about the complex interactions that govern appetite and satiety.

Quote:
Nope, once its ATP, its ATP. When the cells gets it, its not hungry.
Cells do not experience hunger. It's your brain that tells you whether you are hungry or not.

Quote:
That's what we are talking about, what is appetite. Ya know what it is? Its cells that want energy.
Appetite is your brain telling you to eat. That is why people who are consuming too much energy still want to eat.

Quote:
Doctors are incompetent morons when it comes to GERD. They'll give you a prescription of PPIs for a nice outcome of dementia and bone loss.
Perhaps you will share with us what you think should be done for GERD. You cannot use weight loss, because that's the first thing doctors tell patients to do. What's your secret?

Quote:
Food companies, ya know like Insure, Coke and Pepsi, sugar substitutes, Monsanto. I mean are you making a joke?
So Monsanto is paying nutritionists to do ... what, exactly?

Quote:
what a load of BS.
No BS. You do not even seem to understand what a calorie actually represents.

Quote:
This reminds me of the simpleton explanations I see in the economics forum, "cheap labor" without bothering to explain why there is "cheap labor". Ya mean it all comes down to a calorie deficit. Oh wow , who thought of that.? Why don't you start a new thread on it and save the world with this profound insight of thermodynamics.
Um, calories are the topic of the thread. Weight is ultimately determined by energy balance. Michael Phelps consumed an enormous amount of food while he was training and competing which he burned off in the swimming pool. If he ate the same amount of food and quit swimming he would get very fat, very fast.

Quote:
yeah like 3% over the long term. Some of the most successful dieters were lucky enough to get a disease.
People who are normal weight and have never been obese stay that way because they manage their intake and activity to produce a neutral energy balance. Many people watch their weight and adjust intake if they gain a few pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
For some people like myself, calorie restricted diets NEVER worked and I tried my share of them. I even started using apps like myfitnesspal. What a waste of time.

Calorie restriction for most adults slows down metabolism, and puts your body in starvation mode. Increased exercise may speed up your metabolism BUT also makes you hungrier. What a vicious cycle to deal with. Not only that, for many when (if) they actually achieve your weight loss goals you feel deprived and want nothing more than to eat everything you see.

How ironic that a low carb high fat diet which most would believe make you gain weight actually did the opposite all without exercise AND improve your health as well.

Back to the thread topic. Since I was eating high fat, calories were routinely go through the roof. Since I was counting carbs and not calories I never really knew how many but I would estimate them to be easily in the 3000 to 4000 range per day, mostly from fat. That is the kicker so to speak. Again, without exercise. The difference being, a hormonal response. A calorie is not a calorie, if it was I'd be a fat slob which I am not. I quit trying to lose weight, I am happy with it now and I wont say I lost 100+ pounds, I lost 50 lbs and am OK with that.
If you lost weight on a high fat diet you did so because you developed ketosis, which suppresses appetite.

If you "never really knew how many" calories you were consuming it's safe to say that 3000 to 4000 is a considerable overestimate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 03:18 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What in the world do you think a calorie is? It's not a nutrient, like protein or vitamin C or calcium. A calorie cannot cause intestinal distress. It's a unit of measurement, not a substance.

Foods can cause GI distress. A calorie is a unit of measurement. It cannot cause GI distress.

Fatty acids are fatty acids. A calorie is a measurement of the energy content of those fatty acids. There are no magic, superior combinations of foods. If you omit entire groups of foods from your diet, as vegetarians and vegans do, then you do have to be careful to make sure your diet meets all nutritional needs, like taking vitamin B12 for example. Someone eating a mixed diet with a variety of and appropriate quantity of foods will do fine. No routine supplements are even needed.

You ducked my question, I see. What is the source for your rather peculiar version of biochemistry? The composition of a meal may alter the rate of absorption of nutrients but your mitochondria are quite happy whether you have recently eaten anything or not, assuming you are not starving.

I guess you did not read the link I gave about the complex interactions that govern appetite and satiety.

Cells do not experience hunger. It's your brain that tells you whether you are hungry or not.

Appetite is your brain telling you to eat. That is why people who are consuming too much energy still want to eat.

Perhaps you will share with us what you think should be done for GERD. You cannot use weight loss, because that's the first thing doctors tell patients to do. What's your secret?

Um, calories are the topic of the thread. Weight is ultimately determined by energy balance. Michael Phelps consumed an enormous amount of food while he was training and competing which he burned off in the swimming pool. If he ate the same amount of food and quit swimming he would get very fat, very fast.

People who are normal weight and have never been obese stay that way because they manage their intake and activity to produce a neutral energy balance. Many people watch their weight and adjust intake if they gain a few pounds.

If you lost weight on a high fat diet you did so because you developed ketosis, which suppresses appetite.

If you "never really knew how many" calories you were consuming it's safe to say that 3000 to 4000 is a considerable overestimate.
Yup. Like I said, I lost weight because I ate less and burned more. Whether you're in ketosis or not, it does come down to consuming less calories than what you burn. Just because it sounds simplistic doesn't mean that at the end of the day, it's not true. Being in a deficit state fueled my body to burn glucose and fat. Exercise speeds up the burning process. Regardless of what I eat, what I consume is considered fuel (aka calories) by my body.

My mom remains thin by watching what she eats. I've never witnessed her fret about a carb, meat, or whatever. She eats one piece of meat, one ladle sized carb serving and plenty of veggies. She doesn't bother to track calories as she doesn't need to. She innately knows how to eat without gaining. To be honest, I really don't track either anymore.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:00 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:

What moron thinks an energy unit causes intestinal distress?

Quote:
insightful.

Quote:
Fatty acids are fatty acids.
Fascinating.

Quote:
A calorie is a measurement of the energy content of those fatty acids. There are no magic, superior combinations of foods.
Right, because cellulous to a cow is just calories.....Don't eat grass because according to you how its metabolized doesn't matter.

Quote:
If you omit entire groups of foods from your diet, as vegetarians and vegans do, then you do have to be careful to make sure your diet meets all nutritional needs, like taking vitamin B12 for example. Someone eating a mixed diet with a variety of and appropriate quantity of foods will do fine. No routine supplements are even needed.
I don't remove anything in my diet. I just don't eat fatty food and carbohydrates in the same meal. Why would I since all dietary and body fat become unavailable. Why would I since eating until satisfied will result in visceral fat?

Quote:
The prevailing research. The 100 year history of ketogenic diets. The Orinish diet, Eric Berg. Michael Greger, M.D. My 10 years of experience with ethno botany and daily use and processing of 100s wild foods. Getting to 10% body fat on pasta and potatoes eating as much as I like. Getting to 10% body fat on ketogenic diets, eating as much as i pleased. That kind of stuff.....

Quote:
I did and its uninteresting to say the least. Its genetic determinism theory instead of gene expression.

Quote:
More babbling semantic nonsense. Stop wasting my time with this rubbish. Hormones are released to tell you brain wether or not cells need energy. its not the anthropomorphized concept of hunger.

Quote:
wow more insights......

Quote:
Well since gerd is caused from gas and gas is cause by intestinal bacteria or yeasts, you can remove carbohydrates and stop gerd. Or you could stop eating fats so that the food goes though the pyloric valve faster not giving it a chance to ferment. it would also be a good idea to add acid to the stomach to encourage the LES to close and make the conditions acid enough to kill off bacterial overgrowth. Ever make hard cider with wild yeast? Don't want a PH of 3.5 in your stomach if you don't want reflux.

Quote:
Oh I don't know, not bother to worry about the endocrine disruption of glyphosate or how it may be killing out gut flora

Quote:
No you just like to pretend I don't. I'll pretend you don't know what rocks are. You just don't seem to understand what they are.

Quote:
Um, calories are the topic of the thread.
Um, only to a chimp.

Only a chimp would gesture that its not an argument about calories and portion control vs the food components also being actors on the metabolism , um err dugh dope. You can have the same amount of energy in a fuel source but different octane ratings, yeah? If it were not about that than this OP would be banal nonsense.

Quote:
Weight is ultimately determined by energy balance.
More babbling thermo dramatical insights

Quote:
Michael Phelps consumed an enormous amount of food while he was training and competing which he burned off in the swimming pool. If he ate the same amount of food and quit swimming he would get very fat, very fast.
Or we could light the methane coming from your gaseous post.

Quote:
People are people and people who love people are the luckiest people. Thank you for another banal and avuncular moment.

Quote:
Yeah, so its not just about the calories. That's the point. And again , you didn't even bother to unravel why it might be that the appetite is suppressed. its probably because you have lots of available energy because insulin isn't blocking stored fats or dietary fats.

Quote:
I don't need to know how much I am consuming because I can rely on the biochemistry.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:12 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yup. Like I said, I lost weight because I ate less and burned more. Whether you're in ketosis or not, it does come down to consuming less calories than what you burn.

Could you direct me to anyone who is not in a mental hospital that does not understand this basic concept in thermodynamics.?

People, unlike say a truck, don't keep refueling themselves. That's the what the question is. Why do people who want to lose weight keep refueling themselves? Why , unlike almost every other creature in their natural state, are humans so defective that 1/3 of its population has serious issues?

Quote:
Just because it sounds simplistic doesn't mean that at the end of the day, it's not true.

Just because its true doesn't mean its not banal and lacking insight. When someone loses their keys, let me guess, you come up with the brilliant question "when did you last have them?" . No one would ever think of that.

Quote:
Being in a deficit state fueled my body to burn glucose and fat. Exercise speeds up the burning process. Regardless of what I eat, what I consume is considered fuel (aka calories) by my body.
Diet and exercise. Yep, problem solved. .

Quote:
My mom remains thin by watching what she eats. I've never witnessed her fret about a carb, meat, or whatever. She eats one piece of meat, one ladle sized carb serving and plenty of veggies. She doesn't bother to track calories as she doesn't need to. She innately knows how to eat without gaining. To be honest, I really don't track either anymore.

And yet a horse doesn't watch what it eats.. Neither do koala bears. Lay off the Eucalyptus......

Old 04-27-2017, 05:19 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
A horse in the wild doesn't watch what it eats, it burns lots of calories.

A horse in a stable? They get fat if you free feed them all the time.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-27-2017, 06:29 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Gwynedd1 I do so enjoy your condescending nature and false equivalencies.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
What moron thinks an energy unit causes intestinal distress?
Apparently you do. You said, "If a calorie is just a calorie, why do some calories come with intestinal distress?

Quote:
insightful.
You are the one who said, "If a calorie is just a calorie, why do some calories come with intestinal distress?

Quote:
Fascinating.
Your point? Taking a phrase out of context in order to be snarky does not add to the conversation.

Quote:
Right, because cellulous to a cow is just calories.....Don't eat grass because according to you how its metabolized doesn't matter.
Humans are not cows. Grass is where cows get their nutrition and their energy requirement.

Quote:
I don't remove anything in my diet. I just don't eat fatty food and carbohydrates in the same meal. Why would I since all dietary and body fat become unavailable. Why would I since eating until satisfied will result in visceral fat?
Please provide a reference (text or peer veviewed article) showing where you learned this bizarre concept.

Quote:
The prevailing research. The 100 year history of ketogenic diets. The Orinish diet, Eric Berg. Michael Greger, M.D. My 10 years of experience with ethno botany and daily use and processing of 100s wild foods. Getting to 10% body fat on pasta and potatoes eating as much as I like. Getting to 10% body fat on ketogenic diets, eating as much as i pleased. That kind of stuff.....
I see. You have not studied biochemistry or human physiology at all, have you?

Quote:
I did and its uninteresting to say the least. Its genetic determinism theory instead of gene expression.
I take it you do not have the educational background to understand it. The article is pretty technical.

Quote:
More babbling semantic nonsense. Stop wasting my time with this rubbish. Hormones are released to tell you brain wether or not cells need energy. its not the anthropomorphized concept of hunger.
You might want to check the definition of "anthropomorphized". Whatever you think it means, its use makes no sense here.

Why do do people continue to eat even when "cells" have an overabundance of energy sources available? Have you ever heard of Prader-Willi Syndrome?

Prader-Willi syndrome Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic

Quote:
wow more insights...
A statement of fact.

Quote:
Well since gerd is caused from gas and gas is cause by intestinal bacteria or yeasts, you can remove carbohydrates and stop gerd. Or you could stop eating fats so that the food goes though the pyloric valve faster not giving it a chance to ferment. it would also be a good idea to add acid to the stomach to encourage the LES to close and make the conditions acid enough to kill off bacterial overgrowth. Ever make hard cider with wild yeast? Don't want a PH of 3.5 in your stomach if you don't want reflux.
Well, since GERD is not "caused from gas" the rest of your argument is worthless. If you have "gas" in the stomach "cause by intestinal bacteria or yeasts" you have a worse problem than GERD.

Quote:
Oh I don't know, not bother to worry about the endocrine disruption of glyphosate or how it may be killing out gut flora
Nutritionists discuss glyphosate with clients? Really?

Quote:
No you just like to pretend I don't. I'll pretend you don't know what rocks are. You just don't seem to understand what they are.
You are the one who said, "If a calorie is just a calorie, why do some calories come with intestinal distress?

Quote:
Um, only to a chimp.

Only a chimp would gesture that its not an argument about calories and portion control vs the food components also being actors on the metabolism , um err dugh dope. You can have the same amount of energy in a fuel source but different octane ratings, yeah? If it were not about that than this OP would be banal nonsense.
It does not matter what magical combinations of foods you consume. Your body will still burn fats to the tune of about 9 calories per gram and carbs (and proteins) about 4 calories per gram. Are you familiar with the citric acid cycle? You, know, the pathway that generates ATP?

Quote:
More babbling thermo dramatical insights
A desperate nonresponsive comment.

Quote:
Or we could light the methane coming from your gaseous post.
Another desperate nonresponsive comment.

Quote:
People are people and people who love people are the luckiest people. Thank you for another banal and avuncular moment.
Still another desperate nonresponsive comment. On a roll, aren't you? Do you even know what and how much Mr. Phelps ate while training and competing?

PHELPS’ PIG SECRET: HE’S BOY GORGE | New York Post

Quote:
Yeah, so its not just about the calories. That's the point. And again , you didn't even bother to unravel why it might be that the appetite is suppressed. its probably because you have lots of available energy because insulin isn't blocking stored fats or dietary fats.
Um, no. Ketones suppress appetite by effects on hormones that govern appetite, not an effect on insulin.

Effect of Ketosis on Appetite Hormones | Dr. Sharma's Obesity Notes

The effect of suppressed appetite is that one - drum roll, please - eats less food, ergo consuming less energyy.

Quote:
I don't need to know how much I am consuming because I can rely on the biochemistry.
The biochemistry works. Just not the way you think it does.

If you do not know how many calories you are consuming and you are losing weight, all you know is that you have established an energy deficit. Unless you are exercising like Michael Phelps, it is very unlikely that you will be losing weight on 4000 calories per day.

Quote:
And yet a horse doesn't watch what it eats.. Neither do koala bears. Lay off the Eucalyptus......
I have seen fat horses. All koalas look chubby to me. That's part of the reason they are so darn cute.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yup. Like I said, I lost weight because I ate less and burned more. Whether you're in ketosis or not, it does come down to consuming less calories than what you burn. Just because it sounds simplistic doesn't mean that at the end of the day, it's not true. Being in a deficit state fueled my body to burn glucose and fat. Exercise speeds up the burning process. Regardless of what I eat, what I consume is considered fuel (aka calories) by my body.

Every thin person I know - and they are not anorexic - eats small amounts of food. My mother in law is now 94 years old. She eats everything, but not a lot of anything. That includes dessert (a small portion) and a glass of wine with dinner. Her weight has hardly varied in the 45 years I have known her.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:42 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,509,228 times
Quote:
Every thin person I know - and they are not anorexic - eats small amounts of food. My mother in law is now 94 years old. She eats everything, but not a lot of anything. That includes dessert (a small portion) and a glass of wine with dinner. Her weight has hardly varied in the 45 years I have known her.
Two slices of rye toast and spread for breakfast,a vegetable soup and some fruit for lunch and some grilled chicken/fish and a heap of vegetables or salad for dinner.
Base your every day eating around something like this and add the occasional treat but completely cut out processed sugar,fried food,white carbs,snacks etc and step up your exercise levels to include a good walk at a decent lick every evening and the pounds will drop off you in no time.
It's really very simple.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Two slices of rye toast and spread for breakfast,a vegetable soup and some fruit for lunch and some grilled chicken/fish and a heap of vegetables or salad for dinner.
Base your every day eating around something like this and add the occasional treat but completely cut out processed sugar,fried food,white carbs,snacks etc and step up your exercise levels to include a good walk at a decent lick every evening and the pounds will drop off you in no time.
It's really very simple.
That pretty much describes what my mother on law did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss