Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 11:11 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times

Advertisements

Consuming plenty of vegetables will help with regularity. I find cheese is the worst thing for constipation. Meat not as much. Yes, Intermittent fasting is a great way to move things along if your diet is stalled and is practically effortless if you are on keto. I sometimes do a 20/4 schedule, that is 20 hours fasting window and a 4 hour eating window so basically one meal a day with some snacks to go with it. It's not an everyday thing for me, mainly some weekdays. On weekends, I still do low carb but eat more meals.

Magnesium supplements will help with regularity. 400mg is the recommended dose. If you are on keto it is helpful to supplement other minerals as well especially if you don't eat enough greens.

From what I hear, kidney stones is the most painful thing you can experience next to child birth which I wouldn't know anything about, lol.

Eating a lot of meat makes your body too acidic and can lead to significant health problems. You need to counteract that with alkaline foods or drinks. This could be part of the problem with your kidney stones. Here's a bit of info on that. A lot of this I did not know myself till recently. And guess what, most of the low carb foods are acidic.

Acid-Forming and Alkalinizing Foods

Last edited by gguerra; 05-12-2017 at 11:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 11:20 AM

130,099 posts, read 12,082,762 times
A flax muffin in a mug ( omm ) is good way to help with constipation, when on a low carb diet. I also think it is important to eat lots of veg, some people eat more proteins than veg, & imo, that is not good, a person needs both.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:32 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
not drinking a lot water can cause stones
This is likely your cause, not the keto. Otherwise there'd be a ton of people complaining about it. Besides, it's also hereditary.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:47 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,098 times
Yes, I did eat too much protein and dairy, and not enough veggies. I wish I loved vegetables. I like some of them, but they're less than 25% of what I eat. I don't like salads much either and prefer steaming or boiling my veggies.

I wasn't planning on doing keto for life; it was meant as a jump start for me. It was a good jump start as I got really motivated again, but then got demotivated once I got the stone.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:49 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This is likely your cause, not the keto. Otherwise there'd be a ton of people complaining about it. Besides, it's also hereditary.
But I've been drinking like this mostly for the last 40 years of my life, and never got a stone until I went keto, so I believe keto was the ultimate straw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
From what I hear, kidney stones is the most painful thing you can experience next to child birth which I wouldn't know anything about, lol.
Mine must've been pretty small because it did hurt, but didn't hurt as bad as child birth. I read that other women who got stones said they would rather go through child birth than have kidney stones. I shouldn't speak too soon since I don't know if my stone has truly passed yet or if I'll ever get (a bigger) one in the future.

Last edited by AhRainess; 05-12-2017 at 11:58 AM..

Old 05-12-2017, 04:23 PM

711 posts, read 688,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
Yes, I did eat too much protein and dairy, and not enough veggies. I wish I loved vegetables. I like some of them, but they're less than 25% of what I eat. I don't like salads much either and prefer steaming or boiling my veggies.
For variety, have you tried roasting any veggies? It can really change the flavor profile of a lot of things.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:57 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,630,868 times
I used to do keto style diet but quit because my LDL levels actually went up. My total cholesterol went down a little but I attribute that more to the fact that I lost weight after being inactive for a while (and eating nothing but junk food), and exercising also. Periodic fasting probably helped a little too.

I no longer do keto and looking into a more carb oriented life style.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:33 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
I think if you are going to attempt a Keto or very restricted carb diet you really need to like vegetables. Or at least learn a way to like them. The diet is so limiting in vitamins and nutrients and fiber that if you forgo the veggies you are not going to be a very healthy, and problems are going to arise.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I used to do keto style diet but quit because my LDL levels actually went up. My total cholesterol went down a little but I attribute that more to the fact that I lost weight after being inactive for a while (and eating nothing but junk food), and exercising also. Periodic fasting probably helped a little too.

I no longer do keto and looking into a more carb oriented life style.
It's not that simple.

Total cholesterol is calculated as follows

LDL+HDL+(1/5 of TRIGYLCERIDES)

LDl may go up but particle size increases. Small particle size is what causes inflammation and heart disease.

Do not be alarmed at higher LDL numbers. I quit statins some time back and sure enough my LDL went up but the standards are different for low carb dieters. We are not following a low fat diet but quite the opposite. It's also important not to overdo it with animal sourced saturated fat. Omega 3 is best, and limit Omega 6.

What to do if a Low-Carb Diet Raises Your Cholesterol

Old 05-14-2017, 10:11 AM

As far as consuming more vegetables I get creative and make big fancy salads and I especially enjoy doing stir fry's. I intentionally make the vegetable to meat ratio high in my stir fry's. You have to use your imagination to make veggies more appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss