Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:47 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times

Advertisements

Drat! i cant spread any more rep points around! but i would have with these posts!

Rialese - what you said is true for me too. i keep tweaking my way of eating when i find something is not working and i also take a chance on trying new foods like today i had watermelon which was verboten 2 months ago. wow did it taste great! the only advantage of going keto (20 carbs a day) is that when i eat back real food like fruit, its like wow it is so good that i dont even care for pastries. today i had the BEST baked sweet potato that i have not had in 3 months and it was so delicious. seems like i eliminated so many good food that im happy with complex carbs like the sweet potato and watermelon. I'm keeping carbs at under 100 so that i can continue to reverse this pre-diabetes. im also keeping calories under a certain amount, around 1400 which is what My Fitness Pal calculated for me. Scale keeps moving down. Im losing 3 pounds a week at this time. if it goes to 2 pounds, i will be ok with that too. as long as it trends downward, i will be ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 07:23 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Doing a keto-diet........you should be very much restricting carbs and PROTEIN.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:31 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Doing a keto-diet........you should be very much restricting carbs and PROTEIN.
I am pretty sure protein is fine in a Keto diet

Old 05-14-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post

For various reasons, many people will do poorly on a Keto-diet, if they do not restrict protein. One of these biggest reasons is protein is easily converted, in-vivo, into glucose.....resulting in weak ketosis and sub-optimal blood-sugar levels.

https://authoritynutrition.com/5-mos...carb-mistakes/

When you eat more protein than your body needs, some of the amino acids in the protein will be turned into glucose via a process called gluconeogenesis (2). This can become a problem on very low-carb, ketogenic diets and prevent your body from going into full-blown ketosis.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:53 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,949,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Keto is low carb, high fat, & moderate protein.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:05 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,098 times
Well, I am back on keto after taking over a month off.

This is what I noticed when I started reintroducing grains and more sugar back into my diet:

Not only did I gain weight, but my skin looked awful. I broke out easily and constantly, and my pores were larger. It seems like I can't eat any grains at all, not even the whole "healthy" ones. White and even brown rice doesn't make me break out, but when I eat them, my skin doesn't look nearly as healthy as when I cut all grains out completely. Most of the sugars I ate were from fruits (mangoes, bananas, and papayas). Yes, I know they have the most sugar too, but those are my favorites. I guess I'll have to go back to boring berries, at least most of the time.

Today is day 4 of keto again, and I have already noticed that my skin looks MUCH better. Pores are smaller and I haven't had any new breakouts. I do not have celiac disease, but I'm learning more and more that my skin is very allergic to grains and sugars. Here's a decent article on grains and acne http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...sing-acne.aspx.

This time around, I'm making sure to eat more green vegetables and drink more water. I am also doing intermittent fasting 20/4 nearly everyday. I find that keto+ IF works best together as both really reduce the insulin levels. I've been watching a lot of Dr. Berg's YouTube videos on both subjects. I already lost 4 lbs in three weeks (I am currently 124 pounds at 4'10"). I started adding more HIIT short workouts after my lifting days. I lift about 3-4x a week, and didn't do much cardio before. Goal is to get down to 100-110 lbs with less than 25% body fat.

In other good news, my mom finally got a kidney donor last week (after waiting 6 years) and she's doing well!

Last edited by AhRainess; 06-22-2017 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-22-2017, 04:26 PM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
This time around, I'm making sure to eat more green vegetables and drink more water. I am also doing intermittent fasting 20/4 nearly everyday. I find that keto+ IF works best together as both really reduce the insulin levels. I've been watching a lot of Dr. Berg's YouTube videos on both subjects. I already lost 4 lbs in three weeks (I am currently 124 pounds at 4'10"). I started adding more HIIT short workouts after my lifting days. I lift about 3-4x a week, and didn't do much cardio before. Goal is to get down to 100-110 lbs with less than 25% body fat.

In other good news, my mom finally got a kidney donor last week (after waiting 6 years) and she's doing well!
Hooray, hooray, wonderful news!!!

Old 06-24-2017, 12:31 PM

Most kidney-stones and bodily-stones are composed of calcium-oxalate. These stones form when absorbed oxalic-acid binds with calcium, to form bodily stones, composed of
calcium-oxalate.

Meat does not contain oxalic-acid.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:26 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
For various reasons, many people will do poorly on a Keto-diet, if they do not restrict protein. One of these biggest reasons is protein is easily converted, in-vivo, into glucose.....resulting in weak ketosis and sub-optimal blood-sugar levels.

https://authoritynutrition.com/5-mos...carb-mistakes/

When you eat more protein than your body needs, some of the amino acids in the protein will be turned into glucose via a process called gluconeogenesis (2). This can become a problem on very low-carb, ketogenic diets and prevent your body from going into full-blown ketosis.
Yes!! And what this also means is that your weight loss will slow or stop from the protein conversion to glucose. Also, we need to be sure to eat "good fats" on keto, in 1/2 teaspoon and 1 teaspoon increments...extra virgin olive oil, butter - although not so much as olive oil, a little cococnut oil won't hurt, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon....macadamia nut oil, etc.

Last edited by 'M'; 06-30-2017 at 06:36 PM..

Old 06-30-2017, 07:28 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
Well, I am back on keto after taking over a month off.

This is what I noticed when I started reintroducing grains and more sugar back into my diet:

Not only did I gain weight, but my skin looked awful. I broke out easily and constantly, and my pores were larger. It seems like I can't eat any grains at all, not even the whole "healthy" ones. White and even brown rice doesn't make me break out, but when I eat them, my skin doesn't look nearly as healthy as when I cut all grains out completely. Most of the sugars I ate were from fruits (mangoes, bananas, and papayas). Yes, I know they have the most sugar too, but those are my favorites. I guess I'll have to go back to boring berries, at least most of the time.

Today is day 4 of keto again, and I have already noticed that my skin looks MUCH better. Pores are smaller and I haven't had any new breakouts. I do not have celiac disease, but I'm learning more and more that my skin is very allergic to grains and sugars. Here's a decent article on grains and acne Stop Eating Gluten and Grains If You Have Acne.

AhRainess - thanks for all this good info...especially Dr. Berg. Have already watched one video and read some of his posts...very good stuff about weight loss and why some people have such a hard time losing weight. I will be studying his info. His website is very thoughtful and well-designed with great information.

One topic that really made an impression is how eating the starchier carbs, grains, sugars/fructose aggravates acne. I have a skin condition like this. The sebum clogs cause tiny "craters" in my skin where the oil glands are located. Would love to get rid of this skin condition. It is very expensive to have a doctor "zap" these little craters to get rid of them. They eventually return. Insurance does not pay for it.

Last edited by 'M'; 06-30-2017 at 07:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss