Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 05:40 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

I have a weird thyroid disease, and I have to go to an endocrinologist so he can check out my neck every six months and make sure the stuff isn't growing back. It's not, so that was good.

But he has me do a panel of blood tests before I come, not just for the thyroid but for my liver, blood sugar, cholesterol, etc., all the basic stuff.

Today, for the first time in my entire life (I am 58), my cholesterol was over 200. 202. My a1c was 6.4. It's been 6.1 and holding for the past year or two. It was not high ever before I had this thyroid thing, and the initial treatment was high doses of prednisone to shrink the cement that was filling my throat and strangling me. It worked, but it put my blood sugar up. I stopped taking the predniosone almost three years ago, but the blood sugar never went back down.

I am overweight, but the thing is, about five weeks ago, I started going to the gym three times a week plus walking on other days and eating salads every day, and I completely stopped eating ice cream, which is my main problem. I have lost five pounds. That's not a huge amount, but I was anticipating that my blood sugar would go DOWN, not up. I was horrified, frankly, because he wanted to put me on medication for both the cholesterol and the blood sugar. I already take generic synthroid and tamoxifen for the thyroid problem. I do NOT want to take other drugs.

I asked him to please hold off until the next six months and let me try to get them down with diet and exercise.

The thing that bothers me is that I never had high cholesterol in my life--it was always around 180--UNTIL I stopped eating meat about 18 months ago. Then it started to zoom up. I figured I was having too much cheese, so I limited my cheese intake. But it's still going up, and I don't understand why. I eat eggs, and I know that makes everyone leap and shriek about cholesterol, but from what I understand, they contain cholesterol but don't really make yours go up. It's a lean protein. I am going to try to cut down on the eggs now, but I am running out of food to eat.

If I don't eat meat, and can't have dairy products, and eggs are no good, and bread makes me fat, and beans are too high in carbs, WTF am I supposed to eat, exactly? Twenty pounds of vegetables every day? My life is busy and doesn't allow for all the silliness of peeling and chopping and cooking all that. I mean, yes, I DO have to do some of that, lol, but I have no patience for making such a mess and having to clean up.

I am just so discouraged. I was excited because I lost a few pounds, and now I get whacked with diseasy blood levels. I am hungry a lot and I try to ignore it, but I have to eat because otherwise I don't feel well physically or mentally.

My dd, who is vegan, told me to get pea protein and makes shakes. I have never tried them, mainly because it doesn't seem like real food. I can't see being satisfied from drinking something. I am going to give it a try, though.

I am so sad. Yeah, first world problem, huh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 06:20 PM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times
I don't know about the blood sugar/hemoglobin A1c, might it be you will notice these levels go down with your continued weight loss? Or might they be affected by medications you are taking? I'd think if the levels continue to climb despite your diet and exercise, and your numbers hit the threshold for diagnosis of diabetes, then it's time for treatment.

My own experience has been that my blood sugar and hemoglobin A1c levels have been slightly above the normal range-ever since they lowered the normal ranges for these analytes. My glucose runs about 104 and the A1c about 5.8, making the providers want to put me in a "prediabetes" category despite those levels not changing significantly whenever they are tested. And this despite a significant weight loss, exercise and watching my diet. Personally I think those levels are due to one or another of the prescription drugs I take, and fortunately my PCP says she isn't worried about my being "borderline diabetic"or whatever they want to call it.

As for the cholesterol, they lowered the normal ranges for that as well-used to be that someone could have a total cholesterol level of 210-225 or so and it would be ok, but these days they consider a level of 200 or over putting a patient at death's door. It's my humble opinion that these lab normal range changes were made in the interest of getting more patients on prescription medication, and I don't blame you at all for not wanting to join that club.

I've found that krill oil capsules (one 300 mg capsule a day) have done a wonderful job at keeping my cholesterol and lipids right where they should be. I also take a low dose of simvastatin, but even without that the krill oil capsules do a good job on the lipids. My husband takes very little if any of his prescribed statin, but the krill oil alone has kept his lipids well within normal ranges. These are available over the counter, and can be a bit pricey but I usually buy them when I find a BOGO sale. You might try those, see the effect on your cholesterol and
other lipids the next time you have blood tests. Your total cholesterol isn't that much out of the normal ranges to begin with, perhaps the
krill oil would help to lower it to where both you and your doctor would be happy.

Good luck to you, I know how hard it is to whip that old (and you aren't there yet at age 58, LOL) body into the shape you would like it to be.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:20 PM

761 posts, read 604,207 times
You can fix thix yourself. Be patient and read
The China Study by Colin Campbell, or if you have Netfix here's some documovies that will recharge you and your ability to make the changes to bring down those numbers.

Forks Over Knives

Hungry for Change

Food Matters

Sugar Coated

You ight get lucky and find some of them on you tbe, but I know forks over knives only has a short clip like a commercial.

If you find any on YouTube, then you might find similar movies right underneath on the same page.

These films will support and uplft your determination.
I'll be rooting for you.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:23 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have a weird thyroid disease, and I have to go to an endocrinologist so he can check out my neck every six months and make sure the stuff isn't growing back. It's not, so that was good.

But he has me do a panel of blood tests before I come, not just for the thyroid but for my liver, blood sugar, cholesterol, etc., all the basic stuff.

Today, for the first time in my entire life (I am 58), my cholesterol was over 200. 202. My a1c was 6.4. It's been 6.1 and holding for the past year or two. It was not high ever before I had this thyroid thing, and the initial treatment was high doses of prednisone to shrink the cement that was filling my throat and strangling me. It worked, but it put my blood sugar up. I stopped taking the predniosone almost three years ago, but the blood sugar never went back down.

I am overweight, but the thing is, about five weeks ago, I started going to the gym three times a week plus walking on other days and eating salads every day, and I completely stopped eating ice cream, which is my main problem. I have lost five pounds. That's not a huge amount, but I was anticipating that my blood sugar would go DOWN, not up. I was horrified, frankly, because he wanted to put me on medication for both the cholesterol and the blood sugar. I already take generic synthroid and tamoxifen for the thyroid problem. I do NOT want to take other drugs.

I asked him to please hold off until the next six months and let me try to get them down with diet and exercise.

The thing that bothers me is that I never had high cholesterol in my life--it was always around 180--UNTIL I stopped eating meat about 18 months ago. Then it started to zoom up. I figured I was having too much cheese, so I limited my cheese intake. But it's still going up, and I don't understand why. I eat eggs, and I know that makes everyone leap and shriek about cholesterol, but from what I understand, they contain cholesterol but don't really make yours go up. It's a lean protein. I am going to try to cut down on the eggs now, but I am running out of food to eat.

If I don't eat meat, and can't have dairy products, and eggs are no good, and bread makes me fat, and beans are too high in carbs, WTF am I supposed to eat, exactly? Twenty pounds of vegetables every day? My life is busy and doesn't allow for all the silliness of peeling and chopping and cooking all that. I mean, yes, I DO have to do some of that, lol, but I have no patience for making such a mess and having to clean up.

I am just so discouraged. I was excited because I lost a few pounds, and now I get whacked with diseasy blood levels. I am hungry a lot and I try to ignore it, but I have to eat because otherwise I don't feel well physically or mentally.

My dd, who is vegan, told me to get pea protein and makes shakes. I have never tried them, mainly because it doesn't seem like real food. I can't see being satisfied from drinking something. I am going to give it a try, though.

I am so sad. Yeah, first world problem, huh.
That is frustrating! But as far as what you can eat - bread does not make anyone fat unless they over eat it, and beans are a great source of fiber and nutrition. Try not get too hung up on the carb thing. You can incorporate some carbs back into your diet and you will probably be healthier for it. I think you can expand your diet if you are conscience of how much you eat.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't know about the blood sugar/hemoglobin A1c, might it be you will notice these levels go down with your continued weight loss? Or might they be affected by medications you are taking? I'd think if the levels continue to climb despite your diet and exercise, and your numbers hit the threshold for diagnosis of diabetes, then it's time for treatment.

My own experience has been that my blood sugar and hemoglobin A1c levels have been slightly above the normal range-ever since they lowered the normal ranges for these analytes. My glucose runs about 104 and the A1c about 5.8, making the providers want to put me in a "prediabetes" category despite those levels not changing significantly whenever they are tested. And this despite a significant weight loss, exercise and watching my diet. Personally I think those levels are due to one or another of the prescription drugs I take, and fortunately my PCP says she isn't worried about my being "borderline diabetic"or whatever they want to call it.

As for the cholesterol, they lowered the normal ranges for that as well-used to be that someone could have a total cholesterol level of 210-225 or so and it would be ok, but these days they consider a level of 200 or over putting a patient at death's door. It's my humble opinion that these lab normal range changes were made in the interest of getting more patients on prescription medication, and I don't blame you at all for not wanting to join that club.

I've found that krill oil capsules (one 300 mg capsule a day) have done a wonderful job at keeping my cholesterol and lipids right where they should be. I also take a low dose of simvastatin, but even without that the krill oil capsules do a good job on the lipids. My husband takes very little if any of his prescribed statin, but the krill oil alone has kept his lipids well within normal ranges. These are available over the counter, and can be a bit pricey but I usually buy them when I find a BOGO sale. You might try those, see the effect on your cholesterol and
other lipids the next time you have blood tests. Your total cholesterol isn't that much out of the normal ranges to begin with, perhaps the
krill oil would help to lower it to where both you and your doctor would be happy.

Good luck to you, I know how hard it is to whip that old (and you aren't there yet at age 58, LOL) body into the shape you would like it to be.
Hey, thank you for that advice. My sister is also on simvastatin, I think, and she also takes fish oil, but maybe I will look into the krill oil. I have heard of it, but didn't think of taking a supplement like that. I don't mind paying for it if it is effective.

And thanks for understanding. I'll be 59 on August 1. I'm not really upset about getting old or anything, because life is pretty good at this stage, but until I had the thyroiditis, I was not on any meds at all. My BP is still good.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
That is frustrating! But as far as what you can eat - bread does not make anyone fat unless they over eat it, and beans are a great source of fiber and nutrition. Try not get too hung up on the carb thing. You can incorporate some carbs back into your diet and you will probably be healthier for it. I think you can expand your diet if you are conscience of how much you eat.
Thank you for the encouragement. I've been using My Fitness Pal and entering everything I eat. That really does help to keep me from lying to myself.

I get that we don't need to eat for entertainment, but I don't want to dread food, either, for fear I'm eating the wrong things.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
You can fix thix yourself. Be patient and read
The China Study by Colin Campbell, or if you have Netfix here's some documovies that will recharge you and your ability to make the changes to bring down those numbers.

Forks Over Knives

Hungry for Change

Food Matters

Sugar Coated

You ight get lucky and find some of them on you tbe, but I know forks over knives only has a short clip like a commercial.

If you find any on YouTube, then you might find similar movies right underneath on the same page.

These films will support and uplft your determination.
I'll be rooting for you.
I've seen forks over knives. It's a good one.

I have a vegan, pro-animal-rights daughter.

Thank you for rooting for me!!!

Old 06-03-2017, 04:45 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,141 times
I don't think just everyone can be a vegetarian. I know I'd be overweight if I had to eliminate animal proteins. I'd be substituting with fatty and starchy food to make up for the lack of meat.

My SIL is one of the skinniest, fittest people on the plane; she's been vegetarian, maybe a vegan if I recall correctly, for years, and though it works for her it didn't for her mom. Her mom was binge eating and hungry all the time without animal protein. So even though my SIL definitely advocates healthy eating, she doesn't try to push the vegetarian thing on anyone as the only way to a healthy lifestyle.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
I don't think just everyone can be a vegetarian. I know I'd be overweight if I had to eliminate animal proteins. I'd be substituting with fatty and starchy food to make up for the lack of meat.

My SIL is one of the skinniest, fittest people on the plane; she's been vegetarian, maybe a vegan if I recall correctly, for years, and though it works for her it didn't for her mom. Her mom was binge eating and hungry all the time without animal protein. So even though my SIL definitely advocates healthy eating, she doesn't try to push the vegetarian thing on anyone as the only way to a healthy lifestyle.
I don't eat vegetarian primarily for health but rather for ethical reasons.

I did start eating fish again occasionally when I realized my cheese intake was a problem. I lie to myself that fish don't experience the same level of suffering that other meat animals do.

My mom is on dialysis and must eat meat to keep her protein levels up, so no, everyone cannot be vegetarian.

I was a red meat eater, and I'm talking rare steaks and lamb burgers, and I thought it would be hard to give up, but it wasn't. I had veg moments earlier in life, and it had always bothered me on some level.

Anyway, went to the gym first thing, and now I'm going to start my day with oatmeal with peanut butter. And my last banana.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:37 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
I went through that whole ethical vegetarian thing when I was in my 40's, I didn't eat meat for 10 years and it did not improve my health or weight at all. I also did high impact aerobics and weight training 5 days a week back then.

I'm your age. I don't have any health issues or bad numbers and thankfully, I'm not on any meds. I do better eating paleo/keto/low carb. Seafood, eggs, meat, vegetables. Sunshine. Water. Good sleep. Walking outside.

Best of luck on reversing those numbers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss