Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 03:05 PM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Sugar AND salt are the two things that keep the weight from moving, for me.
For me, it's just the sugar that causes problems. No issue with salt at all, in fact, most weeks I don't get enough.

OP, I quit drinking sugary soft drinks in 1984, I became allergic to the corn syrup. All I drink is water and black coffee, which is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 01:11 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
You're so right about the sugar! Whether it's real deal sugar or HFCS, it's great for our health and figures to avoid.

Sweet tea is very, very popular where I live in NC. But omg, how much sugar is in that? So very, very sweet, hurts my teeth. I like sugar sometimes but that sweet tea is way over the top. Even half sweet is too sweet for me! So if I really want iced tea, I order non-sweet and add in a packet of "real" sugar. That way I know how much sugar I'm getting.

But my drink of choice is plain ol water --sometimes with a squeeze of lemon or lime.

If I've just gotta have a sweet, I prefer my sugar in the form of dark chocolate...

Old 07-03-2017, 08:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
You're so right about the sugar! Whether it's real deal sugar or HFCS, it's great for our health and figures to avoid.

Sweet tea is very, very popular where I live in NC. But omg, how much sugar is in that? So very, very sweet, hurts my teeth. I like sugar sometimes but that sweet tea is way over the top. Even half sweet is too sweet for me! So if I really want iced tea, I order non-sweet and add in a packet of "real" sugar. That way I know how much sugar I'm getting.

But my drink of choice is plain ol water --sometimes with a squeeze of lemon or lime.

If I've just gotta have a sweet, I prefer my sugar in the form of dark chocolate...
When I am in the south I indulge in some sweet tea. 25% sweet and the rest unsweet is about the right amount with loads of ice! If I am pouring then I add a splash. Sugar doesn't dissolve, but around here most places have sugar syrup so I add a splash if needed.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:35 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
I stopped consumption of sugar, most gluten and most empty carbs about 2 years ago. I am 60+ yo male in good physical condition, 6-1" and used to weigh around 195 lb. My current weight range is 163-166 lb. I am about the same size now as I was at age 19 or 20. A few days ago I tried on my old Army class A uniform jacket hanging in the closet, and it fit like on the day it was issued in 1974 upon arrival at Ft Leonard Wood for basic training.

For physical activity I am a frequent bicycle rider and daily walker, but I am not one who tries to count calories or diet. I eat 3 good sized healthy meals per day and don't eat snacks very often. I drink lots of water and also enjoy a large cup of high quality coffee each day with no sugar or cream. I don't consume any canned food or pre-prepared food from a box. My freezer is almost empty, because the food I prepare at home is from fresh ingredients (lots of veggies). I also eat plenty of fish, chicken & eggs for protein.

In the first few weeks of changing to a no-sugar diet, I went through what is best described as withdrawal. I had cravings for sugar and also had some flu-like symptoms. My brain felt like it was pounding at times. I have tested my blood sugar level many times and I am no where close to any signs of diabetes, so this was not due to blood sugar spikes. Did anyone else go through withdrawal symptoms when changing to a no-sugar diet?

Old 07-04-2017, 07:35 PM

193 posts, read 183,252 times
I am trying to cut back my sugar intake. I've cut the candy out but was still putting sugar in my coffee and drinking pop. Kinda hard to cut back.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:10 AM

264 posts, read 313,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, wheat is far worse than sugar, and a big contributor to the present obesity epidemic in the US.
This is a strong statement, that I would like to see backed up by at least some studies, however inconclusive and hard to reproduce and interpret many nutrition studies are. Granted, some people have sensitivity to or intolerance of gluten in wheat and other cereal grains. However, ancestors of many humans alive today have been eating wheat for thousands of years, while the obesity spread is very recent.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:19 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maraging View Post
I am trying to cut back my sugar intake. I've cut the candy out but was still putting sugar in my coffee and drinking pop. Kinda hard to cut back.
Get the sugar OUT of your home

Stop buying soda pop and bringing it home and toss out the sugar you are putting in your coffee.

Drink water in place of the sodas and find another option for a coffee additive.

Just do it

Old 07-05-2017, 12:33 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
I don't try to eliminate sugar. Instead I try to control it. Cravings can be successfully controlled. The truth is I like sugar and don't want to do without it. For some people, their vice is salt. Mine is sugar. To that end, I try to eat moderate amounts of sugar. to me that's the sugar found in my frozen ice cream dessert that I enjoy daily, the ONE lifesaver I eat, the one Skinny Cow chocolate bar that I eat for a snack. on certain days fruit. I also make sure I enjoy lower calorie sugary treats and treats that tend to be individually packaged.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:56 PM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
A friend of mine beat breast cancer and eats extremely healthy, but she hasn't been able to lose a pound over the past 3 years. She just told me she gave up sugar this spring and has lost 22 pounds with no other changes in her diet or daily exercise. I'm so happy for her.

I really do think for most of us, sugar is blocking us from better health.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:02 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
A friend of mine beat breast cancer and eats extremely healthy, but she hasn't been able to lose a pound over the past 3 years. She just told me she gave up sugar this spring and has lost 22 pounds with no other changes in her diet or daily exercise. I'm so happy for her.

I really do think for most of us, sugar is blocking us from better health.
Bingo - there you have it !

I am willing to bet 99.9% of people would have similar weight loss eliminating extra sugars out of their daily food intake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss