Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 04:39 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I take a different approach, which is also valid. Whatever works for you. As for me, I am a sugarholic. Very much so. Maybe that's why I have no intention of giving it up and haven't, even while dieting.
What you say makes perfect sense for you but will never work for me and I have very strong reasons besides weight for not eating any added sugar, though I do eat fruit. It's great that you can moderate yourself like that but I'd guess that a sizable portion of the overweight population can't do that which is why I'm preaching abstinence. You wouldn't believe how many folks have never even considered that alternative.

Right after I quit eating the sugar the first time and had lost 35 lbs just from not eating sweets, I had a friend ask when I was going to get off "that crazy diet." It's not because I was too thin--I still had 30 more lbs I wanted to lose!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 09:58 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
What you say makes perfect sense for you but will never work for me and I have very strong reasons besides weight for not eating any added sugar, though I do eat fruit. It's great that you can moderate yourself like that but I'd guess that a sizable portion of the overweight population can't do that which is why I'm preaching abstinence. You wouldn't believe how many folks have never even considered that alternative.

Right after I quit eating the sugar the first time and had lost 35 lbs just from not eating sweets, I had a friend ask when I was going to get off "that crazy diet." It's not because I was too thin--I still had 30 more lbs I wanted to lose!
I'm not trying to persuade you. I'm just mentioning another side of a coin. Weight and nutrition is very individualistic. I don't do well with deprivation/abstention. I just don't. As I said, it triggers binge-eating and food obsession, two things I don't want in my life any longer. Binge eating causes far more damage than indulging in a few daily treats. There are many people who are like me too.

Just like you weaned your body off sugar cravings, I've trained my body to eat sugar in moderation. Two sides of a coin. Neither right, nor wrong. As someone who has been on the dieting see-saw and finally found a method that works and can be sustained for life, I staunchly believe that no food is the devil. Every thing has its place. I eat my share of fruit and healthy stuff, but sometimes I want a cookie. Embracing the "good" and the "bad" has finally freed me mentally and physically.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:03 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
I think I thought I was a sugarholic, but trial and error confirmed that I could abstain, but I do not. I do not buy many sugary items at home. I may grab some gourmet chocolate bars or cookies. I tend to eat more sugar during that time of the month. But on the whole, not so much. I do like “sweet” in certain appplications and like to have something sweet post dinner. Fruit is fine most of the time.

I find the amount of sugar I eat is related to the “quality” of it. The more processed, the harder it is to use moderation. If it is “better” I can stop easily. I can easily eat 8-10 Oreos, they are like air. But, for example, I bought some fancy chocolate shortbread cookies, a few weeks ago. The pack had maybe 12 or 16 small cookies, serving size was 2. During my period I had 2-3 of them a few times that week, but it took me a month to finish the box.

So I just buy fancy cookies and candy. It’ll last me weeks or months. I keep forgetting to each my Dutch chocolates from a recent trip. They are waiting for me to consume.

As for that super processed childhood food (gummy bears!!!), I save them for the bulk bin at the movies.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:46 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to persuade you. I'm just mentioning another side of a coin. Weight and nutrition is very individualistic. I don't do well with deprivation/abstention. I just don't. As I said, it triggers binge-eating and food obsession, two things I don't want in my life any longer. Binge eating causes far more damage than indulging in a few daily treats. There are many people who are like me too.

Just like you weaned your body off sugar cravings, I've trained my body to eat sugar in moderation. Two sides of a coin. Neither right, nor wrong. As someone who has been on the dieting see-saw and finally found a method that works and can be sustained for life, I staunchly believe that no food is the devil. Every thing has its place. I eat my share of fruit and healthy stuff, but sometimes I want a cookie. Embracing the "good" and the "bad" has finally freed me mentally and physically.
Exactly and that's why we're discussing different viewpoints. . . so that readers on here can be exposed to different ideas and find a way that works for them. Sorry if I came off as argumentative or like I was saying mine is the only way. I advance it b/c many people don't consider sugar abstinence as a possible choice--like it's too strange b/c they honestly don't know one other person who is doing this. I fought with trying to be moderate for years but I'd slip right back into a binge pattern every single time. Now I won't say I never eat sugar--I do on very special occasions like my daughter's birthday this coming weekend, but then I fast afterwards to get the stuff out of my system.

Oh and I didn't wean myself off sugar--I went cold **** turkey lol. I whined like a small child for a few days and then got myself together and rarely even think about it anymore.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:08 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Quote:

I agree with you, and feel the same (for me). Actually however, for many years I was an uncontrolled "sugarholic", who could consume entire packages of pastries or cookies in one sitting. Fortunately, I have learned and trained myself how to control things; I lost the 60 lbs overweight that i was, and watch my portions of whatever I am eating. I never tell myself there is anything I "can't have". If I want it, I eat some. I am very active and work it off, if I overindulge one day I compensate the next.

I notice I don't have nearly the amount of sugar cravings that I used to. In fact, I crave very little these days. I DO however, love carbs, and I eat healthier versions of those every day. For instance, I make my own sourdough waffles or sourdough banana bread, I like instant brown rice or quinoa and for potatoes I enjoy boiled purple potatoes with the skins and some butter! There really is no "one correct way" for everyone to eat, we are all different, and we do what works for us individually.

The Chinese have a saying "there is no bad food; only the wrong food at the wrong time."

Old 09-27-2017, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 382 times
Enough of anything can be a bad thing, especially when it comes to an unhealthy diet.

If you want to kiss the tummy goodbye, I would limit sugar overall.
(except naturally-occurring ones in fruit) and most carbs throughout this time.
Below is a list of things that should be eliminated during this time:
• Alcohol (beer)
• White bread, pasta
• Ice cream, candies
• Unhealthy snacks
• Sitting all day
• Lack of physical activities

If you’re serious about making a change and seeing results, this was the game changer in my weight loss journey!
Check it out here: https://www.ultimatehotbod.com/optin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss