Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 09:23 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times

Advertisements

I do not do without anything, I eat what I want when I want I just have one serving of it.
There is no point in eating if you don't enjoy it and I don't believe in *cheater* meals either, if you *cheat* on food what else are you going to *cheat* on and justify it because you don't do it often.
I have lost 8 pounds recently no cheating or depriving needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 01:53 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,540,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I was just going to say: whatever I'm not supposed to have, that's what I miss most.
That is why I do not do "diets." I believe in "everything in moderation." Then I do not feel deprived and start craving things.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:41 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm happy for you, so please don't mistake what I'm about to say. But why should you deprive yourself of things that you enjoy? Weight loss is not about deprivation. It's about, as was said, calorie management and behavior modification. You can still eat things you enjoy while losing weight. I trained my body to do one thing and one thing only - feel satisfied with smaller portions. I don't have cravings because I do not deny myself. We all want to drop the pounds. I was really overweight, so I know the feeling. But this time I wanted more than just lost pounds. I wanted to a total mentality/lifestyle change.
Tomorrow i plan to go out and enjoy a cocktail which will have lots of stuff im not eating. Because it will be delicious and im celebrating something. And every time i have an indulgence, it does not hurt my weight loss. Sometimes i even am less weight the next day. Thats because of my theory that if i eat 90% of the time healthy, then that one 10% of the time i will have a treat will not hurt me. I am at the point where it wont tempt me to keep on indulging in it over and over. So i shall enjoy this cocktail (its a creamsickle vodka drink).

And if worse comes to worse, it will take less than a week for that to go thru my body and out of 52 weeks a year, one week at most will be delayed of weight loss. thats not much!

Old 06-24-2017, 03:47 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Tomorrow i plan to go out and enjoy a cocktail which will have lots of stuff im not eating. Because it will be delicious and im celebrating something. And every time i have an indulgence, it does not hurt my weight loss. Sometimes i even am less weight the next day. Thats because of my theory that if i eat 90% of the time healthy, then that one 10% of the time i will have a treat will not hurt me. I am at the point where it wont tempt me to keep on indulging in it over and over. So i shall enjoy this cocktail (its a creamsickle vodka drink).

And if worse comes to worse, it will take less than a week for that to go thru my body and out of 52 weeks a year, one week at most will be delayed of weight loss. thats not much!
1 single drink likely is such a blip on the radar your body cycles it thru in 1 24 hour period

I recently took a 1 week golf vacation with my buddies and cheated daily on my diet drinking a bunch of beers and eating many various foods that were avoided by me for months

End result I gained 7lbs in 1 single week and lost all 7 lbs in around 7-8 days after my return when I went back to my strict low carb and zero alcohol diet

Enjoy your drink and don't sweat the small stuff

Old 06-24-2017, 08:46 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
1 single drink likely is such a blip on the radar your body cycles it thru in 1 24 hour period

I recently took a 1 week golf vacation with my buddies and cheated daily on my diet drinking a bunch of beers and eating many various foods that were avoided by me for months

End result I gained 7lbs in 1 single week and lost all 7 lbs in around 7-8 days after my return when I went back to my strict low carb and zero alcohol diet

Enjoy your drink and don't sweat the small stuff
Exactly!! you are exactly what I'm talking about - so you gained 7 pounds but lost it next week. Thats why this is for the long haul, for life, and it might not even hinder me that much! I will enjoy - thank U I will just count it in my daily calories and i shall be ok ..

Old 06-24-2017, 09:17 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I love sweets. And ice cream. Chips

I avoid these. Tho once in a while. I will treat myself

Everything in moderation

At a recent gathering some of the kids were bringing around plates and platters
Of Foods one was mini cupcakes. I tried one
They were sooo sweet. But I had a couple More

There are. A small number of foods I will not refuse
One of them are slightly undercooked chocolate chip cookies

And homemade date filled cookies
Have you tried Halo Top ice cream? They have a chocolate chip cookie dough one that is pretty nice. The whole pint is only 360 calories, so it's easy to eat just 1/4 pint at a time.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:09 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I do not do without anything, I eat what I want when I want I just have one serving of it.
There is no point in eating if you don't enjoy it and I don't believe in *cheater* meals either, if you *cheat* on food what else are you going to *cheat* on and justify it because you don't do it often.
I have lost 8 pounds recently no cheating or depriving needed.
I don't justify anything. It's all a part of calorie management. I have a day where it's no holds barred-I don't count calories, I eat a good high calorie meal, and I give no effs. And I lost weight doing that too..like over sixty pounds. I figured out how to balance calories in and out. No cravings and most importantly (for me) No bingeing. It's been shown that cheat days/meals, if done correctly, can be an effective weight loss strategy for some people. Employ whatever strategy you want to achieve results.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:12 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post

Exactly. It's all about balance and management. The day I realized that one day wasn't going to derail a damn thing I felt liberated.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:14 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Exactly. It's all about balance and management. The day I realized that one day wasn't going to derail a damn thing I felt liberated.
Exactly right - small cheater meals allow you to maintain focus and balance and are in a way a reward for your hard work that dropped the pounds off

A single small serving of ice cream or a single donut or after work drink once every week or 2 is not going to disrupt your diet plan. Now a BOX of donuts is an entirely different animal.

If you can go full hardcore DefCon 1 and avoid EVERYTHING forever that you know is bad for your diet ... more power to you.

The majority of people and I would think the more successful at long term diet success, learn to strike a happy balance of 90% compliance and 5-10% cheat when the urge hits them.

Nobody wants to wake up daily and know that forever and ever something they enjoy has been taken away from them for the rest of their lives - that's a bad concept to face daily. I do not care how much weight you lose, why also lose your happiness and joy of life and all that it offers ?

Old 06-25-2017, 11:09 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Exactly right - small cheater meals allow you to maintain focus and balance and are in a way a reward for your hard work that dropped the pounds off

A single small serving of ice cream or a single donut or after work drink once every week or 2 is not going to disrupt your diet plan. Now a BOX of donuts is an entirely different animal.

If you can go full hardcore DefCon 1 and avoid EVERYTHING forever that you know is bad for your diet ... more power to you.

The majority of people and I would think the more successful at long term diet success, learn to strike a happy balance of 90% compliance and 5-10% cheat when the urge hits them.

Nobody wants to wake up daily and know that forever and ever something they enjoy has been taken away from them for the rest of their lives - that's a bad concept to face daily. I do not care how much weight you lose, why also lose your happiness and joy of life and all that it offers ?
This reason alone is why Keto and Paleo diets fail with the majority of people. Some people can stay on these and make it a lifestyle choice, but most people cannot. Just look at some of the recent posts of people going to, 'try it again'. Why didn't it work the first time? Maybe because its really restrictive and impedes on normal life?
Sure you can lose weight on them, and you may even be able to maintain them for awhile, but eventually life is going to get in the way and the diet gets blown.
Why not just eat from all the food groups and use moderation and common sense? The weight may come off slower - but there will be no deprivation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss