Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 08:52 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times

Advertisements

I don't miss anything!

I no longer "diet." I have an "eating plan." I admit that for the first three weeks or so I was dreaming of junk food and could barely pass by a McDonald's, but once I got all of the MSG and other crap out of my system, I was fine.

I eat lots of fresh veggies and fruits, snacks I make from scratch, and home-cooked meals, some from the crook pot. I look forward to meals! I balance them, watch portion sizes, but I'm not starving myself by any means, and I no longer feel the need to gulp down two-three Big Macs and a super-sized drink, which would leave me hungry again several hours later. Yuck. I'm no longer hungry all the time. My body is working more like it should.

It costs a lot more to eat this way, but it is sustainable. I can't afford to get heart disease or other conditions, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 09:45 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I don't miss anything!

I no longer "diet." I have an "eating plan." I admit that for the first three weeks or so I was dreaming of junk food and could barely pass by a McDonald's, but once I got all of the MSG and other crap out of my system, I was fine.

I eat lots of fresh veggies and fruits, snacks I make from scratch, and home-cooked meals, some from the crook pot. I look forward to meals! I balance them, watch portion sizes, but I'm not starving myself by any means, and I no longer feel the need to gulp down two-three Big Macs and a super-sized drink, which would leave me hungry again several hours later. Yuck. I'm no longer hungry all the time. My body is working more like it should.

It costs a lot more to eat this way, but it is sustainable. I can't afford to get heart disease or other conditions, either.
I have found the exact opposite that purchasing and eating wholesome foods ( non pre packaged ) is far less expensive than eating out junk food meals.

A big mac fries and drink is close to $7-8

You can easily have 2-3 home prepared meals for a single person in that price range.

How is it you are spending so much money to feed yourself now on your current 'eating plan' ? please explain

Old 07-07-2017, 03:13 AM

3 posts, read 2,487 times
I love sweets, chocolates, and ice cream. These are my favorite and I do miss all these.
At times I used to have all these but with a limit.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:26 AM

6 posts, read 4,881 times
Coffee & desserts

Old 07-09-2017, 06:26 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I don't miss anything!

I rarely buy food out like for lunch where i bought my food in the restaurants downstairs at my job. Too lazy to cook and bring food to work from home because of the super long commute. When i came home, i was tired from the commute home that i stopped at the delicious pizza place and enjoyed that. so my food budget included food i'd bring for home plus eating out. Now i buy my own food and bring it to lunch at work coz i have a tiny commute. so even though my grocery bill is higher, it includes that money i would have spent for food out and its a bit cheaper in all total. plus i got fat on eating the old way. So my grocery bill would be (the old way) $150 a week, plus $75 lunches/eating out, now it is only $100 a week which includes the lunches.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:09 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
I'm about to start my first diet, something similar to what I watched on Fat, Sick and Almost Dead last night. While I can't say what I'll crave yet, can only guess it'll be Dr. Pepper, chocolate, other sweets and big meals like tacos and pizza. And even things I rarely eat but think about making, lasagne for example.

Something I noticed on the reality show Survivor is how many of the contestants craved peanut butter. Of all the foods they craved that seemed to be at the top of the list for many of them. Or at least it was what popped into their minds first.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:44 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
I'm about to start my first diet, something similar to what I watched on Fat, Sick and Almost Dead last night. While I can't say what I'll crave yet, can only guess it'll be Dr. Pepper, chocolate, other sweets and big meals like tacos and pizza. And even things I rarely eat but think about making, lasagne for example.

Something I noticed on the reality show Survivor is how many of the contestants craved peanut butter. Of all the foods they craved that seemed to be at the top of the list for many of them. Or at least it was what popped into their minds first.
Best of luck on your venture ...

You better be totally committed as you will need to eliminate all of those from your eating lifestyle moving forward if you are going to be successful.

After a few months of good results and weightloss you decide if you want to incorporate small amounts of any of them back into your food intake.

Very likely you discover what most of us have that those bad for you food and drink items are something you can live without moving forward.

I used to eat pizza at least once a week - sometimes more.
I think I have had pizza twice over the past 5 months and ate just a few slices each time. I do not miss it at all.

I love the fact my waist size is now 36" vs 42 like it was back in Feb and I feel a lot better as well

Best of luck !

Old 07-09-2017, 09:23 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Best of luck on your venture ...

You better be totally committed as you will need to eliminate all of those from your eating lifestyle moving forward if you are going to be successful.

After a few months of good results and weightloss you decide if you want to incorporate small amounts of any of them back into your food intake.

Very likely you discover what most of us have that those bad for you food and drink items are something you can live without moving forward.

I used to eat pizza at least once a week - sometimes more.
I think I have had pizza twice over the past 5 months and ate just a few slices each time. I do not miss it at all.

I love the fact my waist size is now 36" vs 42 like it was back in Feb and I feel a lot better as well

Best of luck !
Thanks for the encouragement, and nice job on losing weight.

This will be difficult, especially since I wont be able to do it quite as I want to which is exactly like I saw on Fat, Sick and Almost Dead. Just wont be able to buy that many vegetables and fruit, and don't have access to a car but about once per month to buy groceries. Hard to keep fresh vegetables in the home in this situation. So I'll adapt and do the vegetable and fruit smoothies on days when I can, and on other days have small things like a can of tuna fish or sardines and nothing the rest of the day.

I'll be drinking a lot of ice water. It will be extremely difficult for me to give up Dr. Pepper after drinking about a 2-litre/day for years. But it must be done. At 5' 10" I weighed 313.4 lbs this morning with a 58" waist. I even shocked myself. I was always the skinny guy who couldn't gain an ounce until I was in my mid-30's (I'm 52 now). Used to run, lift weights, etc. When injuries forced me to give that up the weight gain started. My goal will be to get down to at least 187, maybe 183. It'll be about a week before I start this endeavour. Going to enjoy eating for just a few more days.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:57 PM

7 posts, read 4,974 times
I feel Egg with Cheese is the best combination for me. I love it and i miss it when i didn't get in my morning meal.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:20 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Thanks for the encouragement, and nice job on losing weight.

This will be difficult, especially since I wont be able to do it quite as I want to which is exactly like I saw on Fat, Sick and Almost Dead. Just wont be able to buy that many vegetables and fruit, and don't have access to a car but about once per month to buy groceries. Hard to keep fresh vegetables in the home in this situation. So I'll adapt and do the vegetable and fruit smoothies on days when I can, and on other days have small things like a can of tuna fish or sardines and nothing the rest of the day.

I'll be drinking a lot of ice water. It will be extremely difficult for me to give up Dr. Pepper after drinking about a 2-litre/day for years. But it must be done. At 5' 10" I weighed 313.4 lbs this morning with a 58" waist. I even shocked myself. I was always the skinny guy who couldn't gain an ounce until I was in my mid-30's (I'm 52 now). Used to run, lift weights, etc. When injuries forced me to give that up the weight gain started. My goal will be to get down to at least 187, maybe 183. It'll be about a week before I start this endeavour. Going to enjoy eating for just a few more days.
You can do this. I gave up Pepsi in 1985 and have survived. I became allergic to the corn syrup. I only drink water and black coffee, no big deal.

If you need help beating the cravings for sugar, eat more protein and fat for awhile. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss