Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:12 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Thanks for the encouragement, and nice job on losing weight.

This will be difficult, especially since I wont be able to do it quite as I want to which is exactly like I saw on Fat, Sick and Almost Dead. Just wont be able to buy that many vegetables and fruit, and don't have access to a car but about once per month to buy groceries. Hard to keep fresh vegetables in the home in this situation. So I'll adapt and do the vegetable and fruit smoothies on days when I can, and on other days have small things like a can of tuna fish or sardines and nothing the rest of the day.

I'll be drinking a lot of ice water. It will be extremely difficult for me to give up Dr. Pepper after drinking about a 2-litre/day for years. But it must be done. At 5' 10" I weighed 313.4 lbs this morning with a 58" waist. I even shocked myself. I was always the skinny guy who couldn't gain an ounce until I was in my mid-30's (I'm 52 now). Used to run, lift weights, etc. When injuries forced me to give that up the weight gain started. My goal will be to get down to at least 187, maybe 183. It'll be about a week before I start this endeavour. Going to enjoy eating for just a few more days.
You HAVE to stop all Dr Pepper

If you do nothing else but stop drinking all that pop daily you will probably see incredible results in just 2-3 weeks from that single change only

That would be an excellent start. Just give up the soda pop and switch to water for a 3 week run. Pick 3 days out of the week where you will eat all healthy whole foods - nothing prepackaged / processed. the other 4 days eat your normal and just do not gorge yourself and focus on portion control those 4 days.

I bet you drop 20lbs in 3 weeks just doing that.

That will moptivate you to incorporate more days of better eating ( maybe switch to 5/2 ) 5 days good wholesome food and 2 days old style food.

KEEP THAT POP OUT OF YOUR HOME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michealjones View Post
I feel Egg with Cheese is the best combination for me. I love it and i miss it when i didn't get in my morning meal.
I eat both regularly for breakfast and have dropped 40lbs in 5 months

I have a 2 egg cheese omellete with a small fistful of shredded parmesan cheese at least 3-4 times a week for breakfast. Almost always with 3 slices of 3 bacon and a bowl full of raw spinach and a bottle water.

Not sure the calorie count of whatever but usually eat this around 11-12noon and it suffices as both breakfast and lunch so I basically am eating 2 meals a day vs 3

Parm cheese seems to like my body better than sharp cheddar ( which I like more ) but it bloats me and constipates me.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:02 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,984,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
You can do this. I gave up Pepsi in 1985 and have survived. I became allergic to the corn syrup. I only drink water and black coffee, no big deal.

If you need help beating the cravings for sugar, eat more protein and fat for awhile. Good luck!
Thanks Kara. I gave up Dr. Pepper for a couple weeks about 10 years ago, then one morning at work thought how good I had been at staying away from it that one can out of the machine couldn't hurt. Once I had that taste I was right back to drinking it regularly again. Big difference in my weight back then than now, so knowing I have to get more serious about giving it up I'm sure I'll be able to. New diet will start sometime next week. Another big thing I'll need to do is stop the snacking. It doesn't seem like much at the time but when I don't have any around for a couple weeks I do lose 5-10 lbs.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:06 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,984,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
You HAVE to stop all Dr Pepper

If you do nothing else but stop drinking all that pop daily you will probably see incredible results in just 2-3 weeks from that single change only

That would be an excellent start. Just give up the soda pop and switch to water for a 3 week run. Pick 3 days out of the week where you will eat all healthy whole foods - nothing prepackaged / processed. the other 4 days eat your normal and just do not gorge yourself and focus on portion control those 4 days.

I bet you drop 20lbs in 3 weeks just doing that.

That will moptivate you to incorporate more days of better eating ( maybe switch to 5/2 ) 5 days good wholesome food and 2 days old style food.

KEEP THAT POP OUT OF YOUR HOME
You're 100% correct. I have no doubt I'll lose weight fast once I give up the Dr. Pepper. I'm sure I'll get stuck at certain weights as I lose it, but wont give it up. Smaller meals will help also along with cutting out the snacking.

It'll be a challenge but I'm ready for it! Maybe I'll start a thread tracking my journey if the first week goes well.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
You're 100% correct. I have no doubt I'll lose weight fast once I give up the Dr. Pepper. I'm sure I'll get stuck at certain weights as I lose it, but wont give it up. Smaller meals will help also along with cutting out the snacking.

It'll be a challenge but I'm ready for it! Maybe I'll start a thread tracking my journey if the first week goes well.
Absolutely start your own thread !

The support of others and self bragging about your progress is great psyche to motivate both yourself and others

I get a lot of my inspiration and knowledge / ideas from this forum.

Support is a great asset and motivator ... you would be a fool to not take advantage of it !

Old 07-10-2017, 03:37 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Absolutely start your own thread !

The support of others and self bragging about your progress is great psyche to motivate both yourself and others

I get a lot of my inspiration and knowledge / ideas from this forum.

Support is a great asset and motivator ... you would be a fool to not take advantage of it !
Yes, I'd love to read about it. Losing weight isn't easy.....especially when you're middle aged! I know the feeling of how I used to be before two kids and having infinitely more time. But it can be done. Looking forward to reading.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:59 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,470 times
I'm doing keto, and I miss eating my favorite fruits. This time around the year, there would be plenty of tropical fruits available and I would devour them everyday. Mangoes, sweet papayas, lychees, and mini bananas. I have only been eating berries mostly, but they're usually very sour. I also miss eating real cakes and cupcakes. I have tried baking a few keto cakes, but it's not the same. I made one the other day and it made me feel a little sick as it's just too fatty (too much butter and eggs). I also miss eating spicy papaya salad, my mom's brown sticky rice and her noodles. I'm drooling just thinking about it. I plan to eat some of these again towards the end of this month as my once a month "cheat" or "refeed" day.

I'm getting close to my weight loss goals, so I don't want to ruin this completely. I can't wait to reach my goal so I can do a less strict keto/low carb diet. Then, I'll probably eat my favorite fruits again and eat a cheat meal at least once a week instead of once a month. Eating a cheat meal once a week slowed down my progress, so no more of that for now.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:47 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I miss French fries. I used to like FF and salad for dinner.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:48 PM

691 posts, read 419,775 times
pizza

Old 07-12-2017, 06:02 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstelm View Post
pizza
I had pizza yesterday. One slice, with mushrooms, broccoli, and peppers on it. It was so good.

I had no choice.. I went to a meeting with my boss that was at lunchtime. After he said let's go to the pizza place across the street because he had been there before. I don't eat meat and he is Muslim and pepperoni ain't halal, lol. He got two plain and i got the one veggie. It was wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss