Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 12:09 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,931,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
All this talk about the diet that works for them and not one person has mentioned their actual health. Who cares about your weight and how you lost or maintain it if your health is terrible. Yes this is the weight loss forum but it is a sub forum of "Health and Wellness". I mean cholesterol, trigylicerides, glucose, liver enzymes etc etc. Bad food cannot equal good health regardless of weight, so on weight alone you cannot justify it. A friend at work was feeling terrible lately. He's fairly young (35), not overweight but was fatigued and tired all the time. I recommended he go get checked. Yes, his cholesterol and Trigs were high but the true problem popped up on his liver enzyme tests. They were all very high with some over twice the upper limit of normal. Well it turns out he has a fatty liver. His wife bakes cakes for a living. Even his doctor told him cut out or severely reduce his intake of flour and sugar. That is the cause in his case. It may not be the same for everyone but the proof is in the pudding. Those foods cannot possibly be good for you under any circumstances. Many people cannot follow "portion control". Not only that, the consumption of these foods leave you wanting more and more and never being satisfied. It becomes a viscous circle.
I have been eating fewer carbs over the past year or so. I started eating whole grains, less processed food, "good fats." organic, clean, etc maybe a decade ago.

I am overweight, but my cholesterol is awesome, my triglycerides are really good. And have been for as lomg as I have been testing.

My worst number is my blood pressure. It tends to hover around 125/75. I have had a test here and there that were a bit elevated (maybe 1-2 times over the past 15 years, so I am not concerned).

Like Mikala43, I have an autoimmune disorder. And about 18 months ago I had a blood test with elevated blood glucose, it was 5.7. My fasting glucose was about 102 or similar with that test. My doctor said - lets monitor this, autimmune issues can elevate your gluclose levels. I generally did not eat a lot of white carbs at the time.

I have lost some weight, since I am trying right now. And during this year I shifted my diet ever so slightly. I decided to adjust my goal macro ratios from about 50-55% carbs, 30% fat, 15-20% protein to 45% carbs, 30-35% fat and 20-25% protein. Reality is more like 40-45% carbs, 35-40% fat, 20% protein.

I probably ate more white carbs over the past 4-6 months than I had previously aka if a white carb looked good, I ate it a few times a week.

I am currently avoiding wheat (among other things) as an anti-inflammation diet. While I generally feel fine, I have lingering hypothyroid symptoms and digestive inconsistency among other things. So I am trying to resolve those things.

I took new blood tests recently and just reviewed them with my doctor, and they would not have been impacted by the change in diet, but the blood sugar numbers had improved to 5.5 A1C and 87 fasting sugars. Cholesterol, triglycerides and liver enzymes are also great. I assume the diet tweak and additional excercise made a difference. I still have pounds to lose, but my weight doesn't seem to be impacting my other measures of health.

What is key for me, eating in a way that makes sense and is maintainable. But so far it is looking like wheat and dairy are not my friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 02:15 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,286,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I'm not saying a low carb diet is the only way to go. Far from it. But from my experience it is the only thing that works for me. Just as we can't say that a low carb diet is the right answer for everyone, this statement is equally as dangerous to someone struggling with obesity. Giving them the idea that they can eat what they want as long as they limit portion sizes isn't true either. Everyone has to figure out what works for them. My body doesn't do well with carbs. I've tried most of the diets. The only one that worked for a little while was Weight Watchers, but eventually I began regaining the weight while still on the diet.

A low carb diet can be maintained for life fairly easily, btw.... once you are at your maintenance weight it is extremely easy to maintain. Because of the way I eat, there is rarely ever an instance where I feel hungry. I actually have to remind myself to go eat because I don't get hunger pains.

Here were yesterday's meals:

Breakfast - 2 pieces of bacon, and 2 scrambled eggs. 1 cup of coffee with 2 packets of splenda and a splash of half and half. - 5 g net carbs.
Lunch I actually forgot to eat because I was busy and never got hungry.
2pm - Drank a 15g protein shake because I didn't want to get hungry later. - 2g net carbs.
Dinner - Baked salmon with broccoli. - 12g net carbs.

My total carb intake for the day was 19g. I spent most of the day working in my woodshop and the evening moving furniture for a friend into a townhouse on the side of the mountain. I never once felt tired. As I said before, for me I have twice the energy that I used to have. The results this morning were that I was down 2 lbs.

At the beginning of the diet two months ago I was 234 lbs. As of this morning I am at 208 lbs.

The low carb diets do work, and are sustainable if someone chooses to go that path. It does require a lifestyle change and a willingness to limit intake of things that don't add much value. Some don't want to do that and I get it. But that doesn't mean they don't work or aren't healthy diets. If I decide that I really want a burger and fries, I have them. But I have found that after loading on carbs I feel sick and bloated for the remainder of the day and typically the next day. I just feel better while they are limited.

This is my experience as well.
How long have you been on this diet?

How long did it take you to 'not get hungry' and 'forget to eat'?
How convenient is it? For example, if you are out and about and need to grab something to eat on the go, how easy is it to stop and grab something? Or do you have to plan every single meal/snack in advance?

How expensive is this? Produce and meat cost WAY more than rice/potatoes.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:37 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,684,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
How long have you been on this diet?

How long did it take you to 'not get hungry' and 'forget to eat'?
How convenient is it? For example, if you are out and about and need to grab something to eat on the go, how easy is it to stop and grab something? Or do you have to plan every single meal/snack in advance?

How expensive is this? Produce and meat cost WAY more than rice/potatoes.
I began the diet on September 4th. As of this morning I am down 26 lbs with about 15 lbs left to go.

As soon as ketosis began I stopped feeling hungry. That was on day 4 for me. After the 2nd day I didn't get hunger pangs like I did when I was eating carbs more abundantly. Prior to ketosis it could have been a placebo effect but since it worked I didn't question it.

It's not as convenient as swinging through a fast food drive through or grabbing a cookie from a gas station, but it's not that difficult. It simply requires more planning in advance. I like the Atkins protein bars, so I typically keep one of those around in the event that I am somewhere that I can't find a low carb option. They work really well for that.

Honestly I don't think it's "that" expensive. We stock up on meats, cheese, veggies, salads, etc... twice per month at Costco. If you want to use the Atkins shakes or protein bars they are a bit more expensive. 6 bars is about $8. But I like them so I don't get as concerned with cost since the diet is working. I'm willing to pay for what works when I can.

On average our cost is about $200/week for a family of four(but keep in mind we have two growing kids at home who aren't on this diet and eat regularly). If we didn't still get them snacks, soft drinks, etc... the cost would drop down to about $170ish per week. Prior to starting the low carb diet our weekly groceries were about $150-$160.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:53 AM

48,580 posts, read 34,973,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

I took new blood tests recently and just reviewed them with my doctor, and they would not have been impacted by the change in diet, but the blood sugar numbers had improved to 5.5 A1C and 87 fasting sugars. Cholesterol, triglycerides and liver enzymes are also great. I assume the diet tweak and additional excercise made a difference. I still have pounds to lose, but my weight doesn't seem to be impacting my other measures of health.

Glad it's working for you!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-25-2017, 04:23 PM

26,435 posts, read 46,684,434 times
Quote:
I have been eating fewer carbs over the past year or so. I started eating whole grains, less processed food, "good fats." organic, clean, etc maybe a decade ago.

I am overweight, but my cholesterol is awesome, my triglycerides are really good. And have been for as lomg as I have been testing.

My worst number is my blood pressure. It tends to hover around 125/75. I have had a test here and there that were a bit elevated (maybe 1-2 times over the past 15 years, so I am not concerned).

Like Mikala43, I have an autoimmune disorder. And about 18 months ago I had a blood test with elevated blood glucose, it was 5.7. My fasting glucose was about 102 or similar with that test. My doctor said - lets monitor this, autimmune issues can elevate your gluclose levels. I generally did not eat a lot of white carbs at the time.

I have lost some weight, since I am trying right now. And during this year I shifted my diet ever so slightly. I decided to adjust my goal macro ratios from about 50-55% carbs, 30% fat, 15-20% protein to 45% carbs, 30-35% fat and 20-25% protein. Reality is more like 40-45% carbs, 35-40% fat, 20% protein.

I probably ate more white carbs over the past 4-6 months than I had previously aka if a white carb looked good, I ate it a few times a week.

I am currently avoiding wheat (among other things) as an anti-inflammation diet. While I generally feel fine, I have lingering hypothyroid symptoms and digestive inconsistency among other things. So I am trying to resolve those things.

What is key for me, eating in a way that makes sense and is maintainable. But so far it is looking like wheat and dairy are not my friends.
Avoiding wheat is definitely a key, and is one of the key reasons your blood pressure and fasting A1C values improved.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,931,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Avoiding wheat is definitely a key, and is one of the key reasons your blood pressure and fasting A1C values improved.
No change in my blood pressure in the past 10 years. And the avoiding wheat was only a week in by the time I took my blood pressure so I doubt there was any impact.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:43 PM

48,580 posts, read 34,973,721 times
Quote:
No change in my blood pressure in the past 10 years. And the avoiding wheat was only a week in by the time I took my blood pressure so I doubt there was any impact.

Yeah, I did keto twice and my blood pressure was still through the roof.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-29-2017, 03:54 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,308,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

I love bread, potatoes, sweets, etc just like most people. However, it's made sense for me to give them up while I'm trying to lose weight. It's not been that big a deal.

Why do people find it so hard to temporarily give up carbs?
I don't know...but it sure does work...

Old 10-30-2017, 07:04 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,884,976 times
The arguing about this kinda blows my mind.

There is SO MUCH individuality as far as how one person's system shall react vs another's.

Some folks do great on low carb (I am in this category) others do poorly. There is NO ONE RIGHT WAY folks; the broad sweeping generalizations are silly.

I stopped carbs except for whatever carbs are in (not starchy) vegetables (why does everyone say "veggies" I will never understand why adults like to use toddler words) mid-August and have lost much weight (don't own a scale, am going by obvious visuals), migraines VANISHED, skin looks smooth and great, energy OMG has skyrocketed (I used to pant after climbing stairs, not anymore!), mental clarity improved, I feel SO MUCH BETTER. Apparently I also was retaining a ton of fluid when eating a lot of carbs, how odd. Perhaps those who have BP lowering on low carb also are fluid retainers as I am?

Apparently I utilize grains poorly.

I eat meat, eggs, cheese and vegetables. I am NOT often hungry and can go (not on purpose, just sometimes -not often- falls that way) 16-24hr before feeling truly empty and hungry.

Avoiding all grains/soda/sweets was EASY for me as I wasn't "into" them; BUT for someone who is it would obvi be harder and they may do better on all food group portion control vs overeating due to not being able to stick to low carb long term. BUT again, some folks' systems "use" carbs/grains poorly, others do not so that should be a factor I think.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:40 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,517,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
The arguing about this kinda blows my mind.

There is SO MUCH individuality as far as how one person's system shall react vs another's.

Some folks do great on low carb (I am in this category) others do poorly. There is NO ONE RIGHT WAY folks; the broad sweeping generalizations are silly.

I stopped carbs except for whatever carbs are in (not starchy) vegetables (why does everyone say "veggies" I will never understand why adults like to use toddler words) mid-August and have lost much weight (don't own a scale, am going by obvious visuals), migraines VANISHED, skin looks smooth and great, energy OMG has skyrocketed (I used to pant after climbing stairs, not anymore!), mental clarity improved, I feel SO MUCH BETTER. Apparently I also was retaining a ton of fluid when eating a lot of carbs, how odd. Perhaps those who have BP lowering on low carb also are fluid retainers as I am?

Apparently I utilize grains poorly.

I eat meat, eggs, cheese and vegetables. I am NOT often hungry and can go (not on purpose, just sometimes -not often- falls that way) 16-24hr before feeling truly empty and hungry.

Avoiding all grains/soda/sweets was EASY for me as I wasn't "into" them; BUT for someone who is it would obvi be harder and they may do better on all food group portion control vs overeating due to not being able to stick to low carb long term. BUT again, some folks' systems "use" carbs/grains poorly, others do not so that should be a factor I think.
Well the premise of this topic is flawed, so it doesn't surprise me that it has pages of arguments. Lots of people like to tout the diet wonder that works for them, which is all well and good. Where it gets problematic is when other ways of eating are labeled as unhealthy. I will never do low carb, as in NOT EVER, unless medically told to do so. I am one of those people who has always been "into" carbs both good and bad. I like my pasta, rice, beans, potatoes, grains, and yes, even sweets. I am not a big meat eater and find a steady diet of meat, cheese, and the like not satisfying and limited. Of course, that is just me. Note how I am not saying that people who consume those things are eating an unhealthy diet or that my way of eating is better. What I am saying is, for people who are like myself who like carbs and do not want to jump on the low carb train, you can lose weight and live a healthy life. I lost over 70 lbs, which in and of itself results in improved health. I'm a firm believer in calorie management and portion control. I believe that i can have my cake and eat it. it doesn't work for everyone, but it is a viable option for many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss