Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2017, 10:52 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,891,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Well the premise of this topic is flawed, so it doesn't surprise me that it has pages of arguments. Lots of people like to tout the diet wonder that works for them, which is all well and good. Where it gets problematic is when other ways of eating are labeled as unhealthy. I will never do low carb, as in NOT EVER, unless medically told to do so. I am one of those people who has always been "into" carbs both good and bad. I like my pasta, rice, beans, potatoes, grains, and yes, even sweets. I am not a big meat eater and find a steady diet of meat, cheese, and the like not satisfying and limited. Of course, that is just me. Note how I am not saying that people who consume those things are eating an unhealthy diet or that my way of eating is better. What I am saying is, for people who are like myself who like carbs and do not want to jump on the low carb train, you can lose weight and live a healthy life. I lost over 70 lbs, which in and of itself results in improved health. I'm a firm believer in calorie management and portion control. I believe that i can have my cake and eat it. it doesn't work for everyone, but it is a viable option for many.
Right on. Your photos are amazing, the before and after and you look FAB-U-LOUS and are doing what works for your system/needs and the results speak for themselves.

I don't get why peeps think what works for THEM is best for ALL; I guess folks who lack medical knowledge don't understand individual differences in biochemistry etc that affects how one way will work in one case and not in another.

I felt literally SICK on a mod carb as in regular American diet; the fluid retention was a lot of why, I think. After going lo carb I diuresed like crazy and felt tons better. Don't know why some of us retain fluids on carbs and others don't? Down to individual biochem I warrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 11:01 AM

48,650 posts, read 35,142,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post

I felt literally SICK on a mod carb as in regular American diet; the fluid retention was a lot of why, I think. After going lo carb I diuresed like crazy and felt tons better. Don't know why some of us retain fluids on carbs and others don't? Down to individual biochem I warrant.
And here is where their are communication problems... my high carb was not the regular american diet. I've never had a diet of sodas, fast food, cookies, cakes, etc. If I eat like that I feel really sick.

My high carb was all complex carbs... quinoa, beans, farro, millet.... etc, and 80% vegetarian.

Which did great for my RA, but my blood glucose was going pre-diabetic (I exercise strenuously, not over weight). So then I modified to more protein (animal) and my blood glucose is fine, but after a month I am starting to get RA pain again.

So I need to modify some more.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-30-2017, 11:18 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,891,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And here is where their are communication problems... my high carb was not the regular american diet. I've never had a diet of sodas, fast food, cookies, cakes, etc. If I eat like that I feel really sick.

My high carb was all complex carbs... quinoa, beans, farro, millet.... etc, and 80% vegetarian.

Which did great for my RA, but my blood glucose was going pre-diabetic (I exercise strenuously, not over weight). So then I modified to more protein (animal) and my blood glucose is fine, but after a month I am starting to get RA pain again.

So I need to modify some more.
That makes sense; my carbs were all white/processed stuff.

Interesting that you upped your protein and it flared your RA. One of my kids has Crohn's and now suspected RA as well so I wonder what the connection is.
Another kid aged 34 is a lifelong vegetarian as in never had meat and now vegan X5yr (through 2 pregnancies/lactations no less, both fetuses over 8lb at delivery) she eats carbs galore (not processed) and is lean and fit.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Interesting that you upped your protein and it flared your RA. One of my kids has Crohn's and now suspected RA as well so I wonder what the connection is.
Another kid aged 34 is a lifelong vegetarian as in never had meat and now vegan X5yr (through 2 pregnancies/lactations no less, both fetuses over 8lb at delivery) she eats carbs galore (not processed) and is lean and fit.

I can't say definitely that the flare is related to diet, it could be other things, I did keto twice and had the same problem.... so it probably is.

This is a good week for me to mess with my diet and see what happens (DH not home for dinner for the week).

I'm going back to mainly vegetarian... log my blood sugar.... see if I up the non meat protein it will keep the blood sugar spikes down...

Old 10-30-2017, 01:24 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,575,114 times
Quote:

Yes, excessive carbs (mostly sugar and flour) do make you retain water. That's why I don't go nuts with those things and keep things within moderation. I find myself retaining water when I overconsume, with pizza being the worst offender since it has flour and salt. Don't experience this bloat with potatoes, rice and beans, and stuff like that as long as I'm not eating huge portions.

thanks for the compliment =)

Old 10-31-2017, 05:28 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,314,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I can't say definitely that the flare is related to diet, it could be other things, I did keto twice and had the same problem.... so it probably is.

This is a good week for me to mess with my diet and see what happens (DH not home for dinner for the week).

I'm going back to mainly vegetarian... log my blood sugar.... see if I up the non meat protein it will keep the blood sugar spikes down...
You can low carb as a vegetarian. Most vegetarians that I know are of the ovo-lacto variety, so eggs & cheese just increase on low carb, as well as soybean products. What about fish? If anything, that should help RA because of the omegas.

Just sharing me thinks. Kick me if I'm out of line.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
You can low carb as a vegetarian. Most vegetarians that I know are of the ovo-lacto variety, so eggs & cheese just increase on low carb, as well as soybean products. What about fish? If anything, that should help RA because of the omegas.

Just sharing me thinks. Kick me if I'm out of line.

You are absolutely correct, and not out of line at all.

At a certain point, this could suck the joy out of eating. Not saying I wouldn't do it if it became necessary, but I will be really, really cranky for awhile if it comes to that.

I've been testing to see what makes my blood sugar spike... and nothing has been (not even the 3 cups of smoothies yesterday equaling the days worth of sugar-did that on purpose). But it WAS spiking before... pre-diabetic A1C, etc.

I've always been an alien species when it comes to medical stuff.... this might just be another example.

My in-vitro doctor had said my hormones were doing things he had never seen before (about 15 years ago), and processing glucose is hormone related... so maybe it's on again and off again..

I'll go for moderation and see what happens (which is stupid, my diet was in moderation before.)..... veggie and complex carbs during the day, lean meat and veggie at night.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:56 AM

88,918 posts, read 85,433,642 times
Quote:

Quote:
Yes, excessive carbs (mostly sugar and flour) do make you retain water. That's why I don't go nuts with those things and keep things within moderation. I find myself retaining water when I overconsume, with pizza being the worst offender since it has flour and salt. Don't experience this bloat with potatoes, rice and beans, and stuff like that as long as I'm not eating huge portions.

thanks for the compliment =)
I find this as well. I had a few days of eating bread/bagels and bready things like pizza, and while I proudly stayed away from MOST candy this Halloween (took my leftovers for the trick-or-treaters into the office and dumped them in a bowl on the receptionist's desk), which is a big deal for me because I could easily be a sugar ADDICT, my weight went up two pounds.

It set off a panicky feeling, because other than that, I've been continuing eating and exercising the way I did to lose 25 pounds or so, and I need to keep going.

But it's the bread, it's the bread, it's the bread, and the little bit of sugar, but the bread consumption was more.

Now two days with no breads, and one pound went down again. Pretty sure it's water retention.

I CAN have bread occasionally with no bumps in the road, but the problem was that for a few days, I ate bread products two or three times a day, and it showed.

So...back on track...

Old 11-03-2017, 10:11 AM

25,834 posts, read 20,776,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I think a lot of that is emotional/psychological. Carbs, especially desserts, are often a big part of comfort food. I know that my mother used them in place of spending time or giving love, so all of my siblings came to rely on food for feeling nurtured and loved.

I expect most people's experience wasn't that severe, but there are a lot of parents who do comfort their babies or children with food, and reward them with food. If you don't cry in the store, we'll go for pizza afterwards.

I think a lot of parents also punish by withholding goodies. Eat your spinach or no dessert for you! Clean your room or you can't have ice cream with the rest of the family tonight!

So as adults to give up carbs feels like we're not being nurtured or loved. It feels like we're punishing and maybe even ostracizing ourselves. We go to a restaurant or a family dinner and everyone else is eating things we can't have, and all those old feelings rush back. They're so ingrained from childhood that they're not even conscious thought, we just know that we're feeling deprived and really down on ourselves.
I think that this has a LOT to do with it.

In our society, food is (too) often how we reward ourselves. And that food most often takes the form of foods made up of simple carbs - cake, donuts, candy, warm bread...

Yes, all can be very satisfying but, and it is huge but, the cost for a lot of people is very high.
Sure, pasta, etc. costs less than some proteins and other foodstuffs but what will the cost be in maintenance medication down the road?
Granted, it is very easy to just take the drugs and keep eating the same way, but is it really worth it?

Leaving aside the emotional attachments, OP, bottom line is that people are judgmental and like being that way.
Even when whatever you are doing has absolutely no bearing on their lives, they like to criticize those who do something different.
Doesn't matter if there is a valid health reason for doing so, if you are "out of step" with the herd, well, you are a threat to all they hold dear.

Sad, but human nature.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:25 AM

25,834 posts, read 20,776,320 times
Quote:
What is so wrong with eating "potatoes, bread, rice and pasta"??? It's like some sort of indoctrination or something "thou shalt not eat potatoes rice and pasta". Despite the fact that potatoes eaten as nature intended only have 110 calories, the skin contains fiber, they are chock full of b vitamins. A slice of whole grain bread has fiber and b vitamins, 90-140 cals per slice, the pasta I eat is 190 cals per cup, 7 grams of fiber and b vitamins. All of these things can easily fit into ones diet with no weight gain. These foods are not the devil. You don't have to slather on the butter, sour cream, etc. you don't have to eat two cups of rice or pasta or a football sized potato. Portion control.
What "wrong" with it is that all can have negative impacts for some people.
Again, I don't think that the OP is advocating that everyone give up all carbs forever.
I do think that she is wondering why people care if some people restrict their intake, whether short-term or forever.

Eighteen months ago, after being told that my A1C level put me in pre-diabetic range, I made the active choice to limit my intake of potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, sugars and the like.
My A1C is now in high normal range. I also lost weight and have reduced or eliminated all sorts of other issues - IBS, bloating, low energy, trouble sleeping...

I suspect that I am actually sensitive to one or more of the eliminated foods and since I am more than happy with what I do eat now, I'll never add any of that stuff back into my diet other than as very rare "treats."

Making blanket statements like "these foods are not the devil" is just as useless as saying that EVERYONE should embrace a low carb diet.
I am no longer going to eat anything that will increase my insulin resistance just because it has long been a staple of the American diet and neither should anyone else.

I would really hope that people would relieve themselves of the need to demonize those who choose to think similarly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss