Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2017, 09:43 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I eat beans all the time as well, but I am lazy! I buy canned beans and rinse them before I use them. I also use them for so many different dishes that I want quick access.
I'll admit making beans was a primary driver for me purchasing an electric pressure cooker. They only take 20-30 minutes - no soakimg required! I can actuallly make them after work now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 10:21 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
@jade - I'm lazy too, so canned beans it is! actually it's because I'm time challenged. there's but so many hours in a day.

beans and rice is a match made in heaven as far as I'm concerned. i feel full, tastes good, no colon issues - my system is humming along due to the increased fiber.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:20 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
hey it's C-D, where arguments happen! :-)
I've found that when it comes to weight loss, people feel very strongly about whatever has worked for them. Myself included I think we can all say that we've been there and done that, been through dieting hell at some point in our lives. We all got to a point where we were frustrated because we were always hungry and the scale didn't move. But then we discovered [whatever diet works] and then we felt that "we can do this". that's how I feel about my eating plan. I don't want to say "diet" because I simply eat less, I don't really keep a diet handbook etc. or follow an organized plan. After dealing with WW points (that always left me hungry) and other half hearted attempts to lose weight, one day I decided that I was gonna do this (lose weight). Armed with only a fitness tracker, and a gym membership, I started my journey. I vowed that I would never deprive myself again of anything. This has worked for me. I'm naturally a grain consumer. I like carbs, including sugar. I like beans and rice (I'm half latin, after all). I like pasta, I like potatoes. Part of a successful "plan" to me is acknowledging what type of "dieter" you are - what you can't live without and what you can. Things that I could adjust stayed, things that were too calorie heavy (cinnabons, for example) were eliminated. But most of all, I made a point to keep eating things that I liked and learn the art of portion control. That is why I take umbrage to those who tell me that my statement of "eating what you want" is "dangerous" because that's absolutely NOT true. You CAN eat what you like in smaller portions and still achieve weight loss. At the end of the day we are all losing weight because of one reason - the law of themodynamics. We eat less calories, we lose weight. You eat 3000 cals of meat, eggs, seeds, etc. you're gonna gain weight. I also take umbrage to those who feel that my statements against demonizing a food group are "useless". It's useless to [you, in the general sense, not you Overitall] but it's not useless to those who may not have any carb issues and actually enjoy them. I'm telling them that if you like potatoes, go ahead and EAT A POTATO. If you don't have carb sensitivity (though there those who do), you can eat a small to medium potato and not gain a thing. Gaining a "pound" the next day doesn't count. I gain weight every hour lol! and I lose it too.. it's what's done over a period of time. more people should track and see what i'm talking about. I stay within a weight RANGE not a specific number. people don't seem to get that it's what's done over time (as in weeks, months) not a day. they see an additional pound and get a heart attack. part of my dieting self discovery is being more self aware and studying patterns. really getting in tune with my body. I lost weight, but more importantly I didn't lose my mind. I eat what makes me happy (to a degree, everything is "to a degree") and still freed myself of excessive weight. No looking up points, looking at handbooks. I innately know how many calories things have so I don't even look calories up anymore. I only track when I really need to "lean out" for fitness reasons. ANyways, I've rambled enough

Salt sensitivity runs in my family. Also its advised by most health experts to reduce sodium intake and that one I can believe. Too much salt soaks up water like a sponge, gives me cottonmouth, ugh. I have HBP, so even more reason for me to watch it. I love pizza too, and eat it probably once a month. Your'e on the right track, just eat it less frequently. Since salt seems to have an adverse effect on you too, I'd suggest skipping sodium bombs like pepperoni, extra cheese, olives. instead add vegetables (aka veggie pizza). I'm from NYC, so I know how you feel! I think I get my love of pasta from being around Italians for so long...pizza and pasta are a way of life

Nope, I drain them and then pour them over rice and boy that really fills me up. I get the full sodium version as it tastes better and you don't need to add any seasoning. I also add jalapenos (common here in TX), sauteed onions to the beans too. Try 3/4 cup of rice with 1/4 cup of beans, mix them up. add seasoning if needed. pair with a piece of meat and vegetables.
I eat fish, but not meat, and I often make rice and beans the main part of my meal. I would definitely add in onions. I love onions. Think I will have those beans one night this week with rice and vegetables.

I don't eat pepperoni anymore, but I used to love it. I usually get plain or mushroom or onion, and a friend and I get a pie together with spinach, roasted red pepper, artichokes, and mushroom sometimes.

I didn't grow up with pizza and pasta. I learned about them later in life. We were meat-and-potatoes people. Once in a while my mother would make spaghetti and meatballs because it was a cheap way to feed seven kids near the end of the month when my father's paycheck was running low!

Old 11-05-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I can’t believe you do not make your own beans @riaelise since you eat them so frequently!

I cook beans in my pressure cooker to control the salt, texture and seasoning!
I eat them frequently, but I use the canned ones, too. I have made dried beans, but I live alone now and don't waste much time cooking for just me.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I eat them frequently, but I use the canned ones, too. I have made dried beans, but I live alone now and don't waste much time cooking for just me.
I got super excited about Rancho Gordo beans at my farmers market, and converted. I make one cup of dried beans and eat the in different combos during the week. Any leftovers go to the freezer for later. But the electric pressure cooker enabled this. Before I had that I made dried beans 1 or 2 times and decided that took way too long.

While the Rancho Gordos are expensive (comparatively) they are so tasty, and each bean literally has a different personality I'll eat canned beans but they feel so boring in comparison! I turned into a near bean-snob.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I got super excited about Rancho Gordo beans at my farmers market, and converted. I make one cup of dried beans and eat the in different combos during the week. Any leftovers go to the freezer for later. But the electric pressure cooker enabled this. Before I had that I made dried beans 1 or 2 times and decided that took way too long.

While the Rancho Gordos are expensive (comparatively) they are so tasty, and each bean literally has a different personality I'll eat canned beans but they feel so boring in comparison! I turned into a near bean-snob.
I have never heard of them. I will have to look them up. I don't have a pressure cooker, and I'm not about to go out and buy something like that at this stage in my life--trying to get rid of stuff and have less kitchen clutter, not more--but I will make dried beans again sometimes in a regular pot.

ETA: I looked them up, and they are available to buy online. I might give them a try, thanks.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-05-2017 at 04:10 PM..

Old 11-05-2017, 03:43 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
I eat fish, but not meat, and I often make rice and beans the main part of my meal. I would definitely add in onions. I love onions. Think I will have those beans one night this week with rice and vegetables.

I don't eat pepperoni anymore, but I used to love it. I usually get plain or mushroom or onion, and a friend and I get a pie together with spinach, roasted red pepper, artichokes, and mushroom sometimes.

I didn't grow up with pizza and pasta. I learned about them later in life. We were meat-and-potatoes people. Once in a while my mother would make spaghetti and meatballs because it was a cheap way to feed seven kids near the end of the month when my father's paycheck was running low!
Well, MQ, as a die-hard low carbing [well, I used to be a low-carber but I've been hit and miss with that for quite a while] meat eater, I've decided to die hard and go vegetarian, thanks in part to you, and also to my daughter who was forced to watch a video in one of her classes which has made her squeamish about eating meat.

It's an experiment to see if I can improve my very, very low energy level (which was already very low before going low carb, so I don't attribute it to that). Nothing else has worked, so I'm desperate.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Well, MQ, as a die-hard low carbing [well, I used to be a low-carber but I've been hit and miss with that for quite a while] meat eater, I've decided to die hard and go vegetarian, thanks in part to you, and also to my daughter who was forced to watch a video in one of her classes which has made her squeamish about eating meat.

It's an experiment to see if I can improve my very, very low energy level (which was already very low before going low carb, so I don't attribute it to that). Nothing else has worked, so I'm desperate.
I hope it helps. I don't preach vegetarian to anyone, since I lived my first 57 years eating meat except for brief times when I tried to go veg or have vegetarian days.

I did put fish back into my diet for several reasons, and I am thinking of maybe reintroducing some poultry on occasion. Not sure yet. Don't tell my vegan daughter.

November 3, 2015, was the last time I ate meat. Well, except for accidentally ingesting some bacon I didn't realize was in a dip this past summer at the home of person who thinks that putting a piece of lettuce on his ham-and-cheese sandwich means he ate vegetables that week. OK, that's an exaggeration, but it's not too far off.

I did not notice any immediate benefits from going vegetarian. It took some time to adjust to eating that way and learning to eat some foods I didn't previously but have since learned to like. I also found that eating smaller meals more frequently worked, because unless you are stuffing your face with cheese, which I did and since learned many new vegetarians do, you tend to get hungry more quickly than you do when eating meat.

My cholesterol went up over 200 for the first time in my life after I became a vegetarian, and I think it was the cheese. I feel better now after learning what foods work for me, but I also feel better because I lost some weight and started exercising regularly, too.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:11 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
I hope it helps. I don't preach vegetarian to anyone, since I lived my first 57 years eating meat except for brief times when I tried to go veg or have vegetarian days.

I did put fish back into my diet for several reasons, and I am thinking of maybe reintroducing some poultry on occasion. Not sure yet. Don't tell my vegan daughter.

November 3, 2015, was the last time I ate meat. Well, except for accidentally ingesting some bacon I didn't realize was in a dip this past summer at the home of person who thinks that putting a piece of lettuce on his ham-and-cheese sandwich means he ate vegetables that week. OK, that's an exaggeration, but it's not too far off.

I did not notice any immediate benefits from going vegetarian. It took some time to adjust to eating that way and learning to eat some foods I didn't previously but have since learned to like. I also found that eating smaller meals more frequently worked, because unless you are stuffing your face with cheese, which I did and since learned many new vegetarians do, you tend to get hungry more quickly than you do when eating meat.

My cholesterol went up over 200 for the first time in my life after I became a vegetarian, and I think it was the cheese.
We agreed to be "flexitarians", lol. So, we're not going to sweat the very occasional meat indulgence (like turkey at Thanksgiving). And we are keeping dairy, eggs and fish in our diet. I'm sorry to hear you didn't notice benefits. That makes me wonder if it will help me at all. But I've eaten meat more because I thought it was healthy than that I liked the taste of it, and I've always loved veggies and fruits and beans and quinoa and what not (and all of that except the veggies I have avoided in low-carbing), so I figure it's not going to be a hardship, at least.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
We agreed to be "flexitarians", lol. So, we're not going to sweat the very occasional meat indulgence (like turkey at Thanksgiving). And we are keeping dairy, eggs and fish in our diet. I'm sorry to hear you didn't notice benefits. That makes me wonder if it will help me at all. But I've eaten meat more because I thought it was healthy than that I liked the taste of it, and I've always loved veggies and fruits and beans and quinoa and what not (and all of that except the veggies I have avoided in low-carbing), so I figure it's not going to be a hardship, at least.
Well, I didn't notice benefits right away, but I feel as though I am healthier now and I feel "cleaner" if that makes any sense.

I eat eggs and dairy. I went back to fish because for one thing, I have a friend/neighbor who I play cards with sometimes and she likes to make dinner for me because she had no one to cook for anymore. She used to make a lot of pork chops, lol, and after I quit meat she wasn't sure how to feed me.

Then I retired from my long-time job and took a part-time job that requires me to go to a lot of lunches and dinners, and usually there is a fish option. My employers are Muslim, so they can only eat halal meat so they are always getting the fish or a vegetarian choice, too. It's just easier to eat fish in a business event setting than to make a big deal about being vegetarian, and I am able to tell myself that fish don't suffer to the degree a cow or pig does. The fish might beg to differ.

I might have turkey on Thanksgiving this year. My niece does the same--she is mostly vegetarian, but occasionally eats meat if it makes sense socially. I like "flexitarian".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss