Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2017, 07:30 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, it was the change in wheat specifically that lead to terrible changes for the masses. More processed, higher gluten content, and greater appetite stimulating properties of modern wheat. I never hear of ANYONE "binge eating" fruits and vegetables.
You are free to believe that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 09:48 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why do people find it so hard to temporarily give up carbs?
I didn't find it hard at all. I one day decided to drop them - or more accurately severely cut back on them - pure and simple. And it wasn't even temporarily; it became a permanent approach. If you truly know that's it's important for your health, it shouldn't be hard.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:34 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I didn't find it hard at all. I one day decided to drop them - or more accurately severely cut back on them - pure and simple. And it wasn't even temporarily; it became a permanent approach. If you truly know that's it's important for your health, it shouldn't be hard.
Let's be clear here. It may be important for your health, but cutting carbs isn't necessary nor important for mine.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I respectfully disagree. There's just too much info from medical studies that show empty carbs from sugar and processed flour leads to diabetes, obesity, heart disease -- and even Alzheimers. And kids are now coming down, in rapidly increasing numbers, with Adult Onset Diabetes. Some kids may not be gaining weight, but they are gaining disease from their diets. (and there are plenty of fat/obese kids.
Ok we can agree to disagree

I'm just a fan of all things in moderation. That's been my motto ever since I woke up and decided to lose weight, so I'm sure you can understand how I think. I've just learned how to keep sugar somewhat under control in my diet. I remember how my mom tried to avoid giving me sugar when I was growing up because sugar was "bad" back then. That ended up making me obsessed with sweet things and buying candy and crap behind her back. If she had doled out the sugar items I'm sure I'd have a normal view of it. Empty calories, for sure, but I acknowledge sugar for what it is - something that makes you feel good.

I try to keep the sugary items to twice per day and any other sweets during the day (if any) come from fruit. I love fruit and will never give that up. At least fruit doesn't contribute empty calories. I also agree that the carbs should come from whole grains/complex carbs. These carbs are more satisfying and have good nutritional profiles. The often maligned potato is great for filling you up and gives you fiber and other nutrients. I eat them with skin on. I also eat sweat potatoes, beans, etc. Those carbs do a great job, especially when paired with a protein rich food.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:02 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
You're right -- there's little problem with whole potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans I think the problem lies (and doctors agree--most of them, and the latest studies demonstrate) that the problem is with modern wheat, and other refined carbs such as sugar.

And an increasing number of people are having health issues with the gluten found in modern wheat in the USA. There are carbs in vegetables and, of course, those are great for us.

So we're on the same page!

Old 10-18-2017, 09:46 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
You're right -- there's little problem with whole potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans
Whole potatoes aren't necessarily "bad", but they do very little for you. They take up body energy, and time and effort to digest, and offer little nutrition in return. They're wasteful in a sense. Sure, they're better than chips or junk food, but they're also quite a distance from truly useful and nutritious food. They are positioned at the middle of the "graph" in the okay region. But why settle for okay when you can instead have 'good' and 'great'?

Sweet potatoes are a bit better, and offer a lot of Vitamin A, so they are moving in the better / healthier direction.

Beans are great for you, with fiber and some protein. Who is claiming that beans are unhealthy for you?

Also, part of the issue isn't foods per se, but food combining. You really don't want to mix a starchy carb like sweet potatoes with a concentrated protein like meat, for example. Sometimes we throw even great foods together that aren't an optimal combination for the digestive system. There's more to it than picking ideal foods, which is already a huge challenge for most. You gotta do your homework. It's well worth the time though, and will pay off enormously

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-18-2017 at 09:55 AM..

Old 10-18-2017, 10:23 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
I don't think that carbs in general are necessarily "bad" per se. This is what people tend to think others on a keto diet mean when they say they don't consume a lot of carbs. We don't really that way long term. But short term (especially during the ketosis phase) carbs are severely restricted to aid with fat burning.

However, there is a vast difference in what you gain from the carbs you consume in some foods versus others. Our bodies react differently to certain foods and that is why moderation by itself isn't always going to work. If you eat one serving of potato chips you'll consume a lot more processed carbs than if you eat one serving of quinoa, for example. It's more accurate to say that you eat things in moderation alongside of monitoring the types of carbs that you consume to gain the most value from them.

Refined and processed carbs are the worst for your body. They provide little nutritional value while strapping down your digestive system to process out the things that your body doesn't need. Plus, a higher carb content requires your body to burn the excess glucose created from carbs prior to converting fat cells into glucose to use for energy. Simply put, your body may not need the extra energy and therefore the energy is stored in your fat cells.

Examples of processed/refined "unhealthy" carbs would include:

Refined grains - white rice, cornmeal, oats, etc...
Baked goods - bread, pasta, cookies, crackers, etc...
Frozen, canned, and dried fruits - (these often have added sugar in them
Frozen, canned, and dried vegetables - often times have added sodium
Sweets - Any food that contains added sugar has processed carbs

On a keto-diet, we can consume complex carbs with close moderation.

Examples of complex carbs are:

Potatoes - We do have to limit intake on potatoes because they are extremely high in carbs
lentils
Beans
brown rice

Simple carbs break down very quickly in the body. The only thing they can offer is a quick spike in blood sugar and the hormones required to complete digestion. They offer minimal nutritional value. Complex carbs break down much more slowly, thus allowing time for your body to use the nutrients that they can provide.

It's not that all carbs are bad, but that people tend to over consume simple carbs which in turn leads to obesity. If you are on a keto-diet to lose weight, anything that creates fuel for your body has to be moderated heavily because the goal is to allow fat cells to be the #1 fuel source to use while you lose weight. Once you get closer to your ideal weight, the idea is to begin re-introducing complex carbs a little at a time back into your diet until you can find the level at which you maintain your weight without gaining or losing. For some that can be as few as 50 grams per day and others it can be as high as 100 grams per day.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Whole potatoes aren't necessarily "bad", but they do very little for you. They take up body energy, and time and effort to digest, and offer little nutrition in return. They're wasteful in a sense. Sure, they're better than chips or junk food, but they're also quite a distance from truly useful and nutritious food. They are positioned at the middle of the "graph" in the okay region. But why settle for okay when you can instead have 'good' and 'great'?

Sweet potatoes are a bit better, and offer a lot of Vitamin A, so they are moving in the better / healthier direction.

Beans are great for you, with fiber and some protein. Who is claiming that beans are unhealthy for you?

Also, part of the issue isn't foods per se, but food combining. You really don't want to mix a starchy carb like sweet potatoes with a concentrated protein like meat, for example. Sometimes we throw even great foods together that aren't an optimal combination for the digestive system. There's more to it than picking ideal foods, which is already a huge challenge for most. You gotta do your homework. It's well worth the time though, and will pay off enormously
That's not true and it's your opinion. Potatoes are high in fiber, potassium, and are a good source of Vitamin C and some B vitamins. I wouldn't call that "little nutrition". Little nutrition is a Twinkie. And you're not "settling" by eating a potato. A baked potato is filling and an acceptable food choice. There is nothing unhealthy about a potato.

And sometimes people just enjoy eating potatoes, regardless of where they fall on a food graph. And they should as there's nothing wrong with them.

And you claim to have cut carbs out of your diet for "health". So that would include beans since they are carbs primarily, am I right?

Old 10-18-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I don't think that carbs in general are necessarily "bad" per se. This is what people tend to think others on a keto diet mean when they say they don't consume a lot of carbs. We don't really that way long term. But short term (especially during the ketosis phase) carbs are severely restricted to aid with fat burning.

However, there is a vast difference in what you gain from the carbs you consume in some foods versus others. Our bodies react differently to certain foods and that is why moderation by itself isn't always going to work. If you eat one serving of potato chips you'll consume a lot more processed carbs than if you eat one serving of quinoa, for example. It's more accurate to say that you eat things in moderation alongside of monitoring the types of carbs that you consume to gain the most value from them.

Refined and processed carbs are the worst for your body. They provide little nutritional value while strapping down your digestive system to process out the things that your body doesn't need. Plus, a higher carb content requires your body to burn the excess glucose created from carbs prior to converting fat cells into glucose to use for energy. Simply put, your body may not need the extra energy and therefore the energy is stored in your fat cells.

Examples of processed/refined "unhealthy" carbs would include:

Refined grains - white rice, cornmeal, oats, etc...
Baked goods - bread, pasta, cookies, crackers, etc...
Frozen, canned, and dried fruits - (these often have added sugar in them
Frozen, canned, and dried vegetables - often times have added sodium
Sweets - Any food that contains added sugar has processed carbs

On a keto-diet, we can consume complex carbs with close moderation.

Examples of complex carbs are:

Potatoes - We do have to limit intake on potatoes because they are extremely high in carbs
lentils
Beans
brown rice

Simple carbs break down very quickly in the body. The only thing they can offer is a quick spike in blood sugar and the hormones required to complete digestion. They offer minimal nutritional value. Complex carbs break down much more slowly, thus allowing time for your body to use the nutrients that they can provide.

It's not that all carbs are bad, but that people tend to over consume simple carbs which in turn leads to obesity. If you are on a keto-diet to lose weight, anything that creates fuel for your body has to be moderated heavily because the goal is to allow fat cells to be the #1 fuel source to use while you lose weight. Once you get closer to your ideal weight, the idea is to begin re-introducing complex carbs a little at a time back into your diet until you can find the level at which you maintain your weight without gaining or losing. For some that can be as few as 50 grams per day and others it can be as high as 100 grams per day.
Frozen vegetables should be ok. It's been shown to be comparable to fresh.

I guess I never really worried about excess energy just floating around because I'm active, so it gets burned (and thereby I lost weight). That's why when I was losing weight, it was never by diet alone.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
You're right -- there's little problem with whole potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans I think the problem lies (and doctors agree--most of them, and the latest studies demonstrate) that the problem is with modern wheat, and other refined carbs such as sugar.

And an increasing number of people are having health issues with the gluten found in modern wheat in the USA. There are carbs in vegetables and, of course, those are great for us.

So we're on the same page!
Upon observing my overweight family members (and myself before), I just see so much overconsumption - meat, sugar, everything. I was just explaining to someone that you didn't have to feel stuffed throughout the day and it was like explaining a foreign concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss