Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 11:59 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I don't think that carbs in general are necessarily "bad" per se. This is what people tend to think others on a keto diet mean when they say they don't consume a lot of carbs. We don't really that way long term. But short term (especially during the ketosis phase) carbs are severely restricted to aid with fat burning.

However, there is a vast difference in what you gain from the carbs you consume in some foods versus others. Our bodies react differently to certain foods and that is why moderation by itself isn't always going to work. If you eat one serving of potato chips you'll consume a lot more processed carbs than if you eat one serving of quinoa, for example. It's more accurate to say that you eat things in moderation alongside of monitoring the types of carbs that you consume to gain the most value from them.

Refined and processed carbs are the worst for your body. They provide little nutritional value while strapping down your digestive system to process out the things that your body doesn't need. Plus, a higher carb content requires your body to burn the excess glucose created from carbs prior to converting fat cells into glucose to use for energy. Simply put, your body may not need the extra energy and therefore the energy is stored in your fat cells.

Examples of processed/refined "unhealthy" carbs would include:

Refined grains - white rice, cornmeal, oats, etc...
Baked goods - bread, pasta, cookies, crackers, etc...
Frozen, canned, and dried fruits - (these often have added sugar in them
Frozen, canned, and dried vegetables - often times have added sodium
Sweets - Any food that contains added sugar has processed carbs

On a keto-diet, we can consume complex carbs with close moderation.

Examples of complex carbs are:

Potatoes - We do have to limit intake on potatoes because they are extremely high in carbs
lentils
Beans
brown rice

Simple carbs break down very quickly in the body. The only thing they can offer is a quick spike in blood sugar and the hormones required to complete digestion. They offer minimal nutritional value. Complex carbs break down much more slowly, thus allowing time for your body to use the nutrients that they can provide.

It's not that all carbs are bad, but that people tend to over consume simple carbs which in turn leads to obesity. If you are on a keto-diet to lose weight, anything that creates fuel for your body has to be moderated heavily because the goal is to allow fat cells to be the #1 fuel source to use while you lose weight. Once you get closer to your ideal weight, the idea is to begin re-introducing complex carbs a little at a time back into your diet until you can find the level at which you maintain your weight without gaining or losing. For some that can be as few as 50 grams per day and others it can be as high as 100 grams per day.
You made a long thought-out post that is faulty on a few different levels. I would suggest if you are going to make assertions about nutrition you should have a little more knowledge about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 12:09 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Here's the biggest issue with potatoes (aside from their carb count).

Potatoes are high on the glycemic index. They have the ability to cause blood sugar and insulin levels to spike and plummet very rapidly. According to the Harvard School of Public Health research, because potatoes basically turn into sugar once ingested they are not much different than a can of soda or a handful of jelly beans from your body's perspective. Those surges and crashes are what cause people to get hungry not long after and over eat.

To combat this spike you have to pair a potato with a protein and a healthy fat. That allows your body to resist the glycemic index effect. When your body slows down absorption for the protein and fat it will also slow down processing of the sugars in the potato and lessen the effects of a blood sugar spike.

According to John Rush of Cenegenics, " People who are overweight or obese too, might consider limiting their potato intake because “it’s very likely you … have poor insulin sensitivity and can’t handle that much carbohydrate."

This is why you can't just assume that potatoes are a healthy option because of the vitamins they carry. There are side effects to getting vitamins from a potato that can derail a person's diet if not moderated properly.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You made a long thought-out post that is faulty on a few different levels. I would suggest if you are going to make assertions about nutrition you should have a little more knowledge about it.
I would challenge you to prove it wrong, then.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:42 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Here's the biggest issue with potatoes (aside from their carb count).

Potatoes are high on the glycemic index. They have the ability to cause blood sugar and insulin levels to spike and plummet very rapidly. According to the Harvard School of Public Health research, because potatoes basically turn into sugar once ingested they are not much different than a can of soda or a handful of jelly beans from your body's perspective. Those surges and crashes are what cause people to get hungry not long after and over eat.

To combat this spike you have to pair a potato with a protein and a healthy fat. That allows your body to resist the glycemic index effect. When your body slows down absorption for the protein and fat it will also slow down processing of the sugars in the potato and lessen the effects of a blood sugar spike.

According to John Rush of Cenegenics, " People who are overweight or obese too, might consider limiting their potato intake because “it’s very likely you … have poor insulin sensitivity and can’t handle that much carbohydrate."

This is why you can't just assume that potatoes are a healthy option because of the vitamins they carry. There are side effects to getting vitamins from a potato that can derail a person's diet if not moderated properly.
I always eat my starches with companion foods like protein and veggies for a total meal. I eat one small/medium baked potato, with no crap on it like sour cream. whatever supposedly happens I guess happens. I don't really see people eating potatoes by themselves, though there's nothing wrong if they did. If people ate more whole potatoes, skin on, and without lots of crap on it, we'd be having another discussion. Instead, most people load their potatoes up with bacon, sour cream, gobs of butter, chili, etc. Or the consume potato chips and other potato based snacks, all of which are fried and processed. Entirely different than a whole baked potato as nature intended, which only has 110 calories and is naturally low in fat.

Edible tubers (including the potato) have been a part of man's diet since the caveman era. Hunter/gatherer peoples harvest tubers for sustenance, with some of their meals being just the tuber itself. Not all societies have the luxury of daily meat and fat yet they survive and don't have weight issues.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I always eat my starches with companion foods like protein and veggies for a total meal. I eat one small/medium baked potato, with no crap on it like sour cream. whatever supposedly happens I guess happens. I don't really see people eating potatoes by themselves, though there's nothing wrong if they did. If people ate more whole potatoes, skin on, and without lots of crap on it, we'd be having another discussion. Instead, most people load their potatoes up with bacon, sour cream, gobs of butter, chili, etc. Or the consume potato chips and other potato based snacks, all of which are fried and processed. Entirely different than a whole baked potato as nature intended, which only has 110 calories and is naturally low in fat.

Edible tubers (including the potato) have been a part of man's diet since the caveman era. Hunter/gatherer peoples harvest tubers for sustenance, with some of their meals being just the tuber itself. Not all societies have the luxury of daily meat and fat yet they survive and don't have weight issues.

I think that is two different discussions though. The societies who don't have the luxury of daily meats and fats are often working against a calorie deficit from a lack of resources as well, so there isn't the possibility of overeating as there is in our society.

Adding in a protein (bacon or chili) and fat (sour cream/butter) doesn't necessarily make a potato more unhealthy. I actually used to eat my potatoes by themselves at a meal because I prefer them that way, with skin on. But, that doesn't mean they still didn't provide me with more sugar than I needed at the time. I don't think it's really that cut and dry. Everything should be in moderation so I agree there, but carbs are part of that moderation.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:51 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
I

Examples of processed/refined "unhealthy" carbs would include:

Refined grains - white rice, cornmeal, oats, etc...
Baked goods - bread, pasta, cookies, crackers, etc...
Frozen, canned, and dried fruits - (these often have added sugar in them
Frozen, canned, and dried vegetables - often times have added sodium
Sweets - Any food that contains added sugar has processed carbs

On a keto-diet, we can consume complex carbs with close moderation.
No, you can't. I mean, I honestly have no idea what close moderation means. Maybe you could rewrite it in English, but you can't just eat complex carbs on a keto diet, at least not a real keto diet. A lot of people like to jump on trends and say they're eating keto when they aren't at all though.

Quote:
Examples of complex carbs are:

Potatoes - We do have to limit intake on potatoes because they are extremely high in carbs
lentils
Beans
brown rice
No, you have to eliminate many of those. A serving of potatoes has more than the total daily intake of carbs. You basically cannot ever have potatoes or have the in extremely small quantities, as in you can have one small bite of potato.
Same thing with brown rice. You can have six grains but a serving has more than a daily allotment of carbs. It's not something you can eat on a real keto diet. If you're on a fake keto diet, you can eat ice cream.

Quote:
Simple carbs break down very quickly in the body. The only thing they can offer is a quick spike in blood sugar and the hormones required to complete digestion. They offer minimal nutritional value.
Exactly why I eat a fair amount of simple carbs. The quick digestion is fantastic when you want to replenish glycogen.
Quote:
Complex carbs break down much more slowly, thus allowing time for your body to use the nutrients that they can provide.
Your body is completely capable of using the nutrients in either simple or complex carbs. It's a non-issue. The maybe extra hour to digest a complex carb isn't the issue. It's that white rice vs brown rice or white bread vs whole wheat bread a lot of the nutritional value gets removed in the processing. It has nothing to do with digestion time. It's just not there in white flour or white rice. If the point of consuming them is the quick absorption, you probably don't care that much about that though.

Quote:
It's not that all carbs are bad, but that people tend to over consume simple carbs which in turn leads to obesity. If you are on a keto-diet to lose weight, anything that creates fuel for your body has to be moderated heavily because the goal is to allow fat cells to be the #1 fuel source to use while you lose weight. Once you get closer to your ideal weight, the idea is to begin re-introducing complex carbs a little at a time back into your diet until you can find the level at which you maintain your weight without gaining or losing. For some that can be as few as 50 grams per day and others it can be as high as 100 grams per day.
It's not about simple carbs being bad. It's about eating too much makes people fat. Sugary deserts especially are easy to overeat on, but then so is bacon.

Last edited by Malloric; 10-18-2017 at 02:01 PM..

Old 10-18-2017, 02:02 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
I think that is two different discussions though. The societies who don't have the luxury of daily meats and fats are often working against a calorie deficit from a lack of resources as well, so there isn't the possibility of overeating as there is in our society.

Adding in a protein (bacon or chili) and fat (sour cream/butter) doesn't necessarily make a potato more unhealthy. I actually used to eat my potatoes by themselves at a meal because I prefer them that way, with skin on. But, that doesn't mean they still didn't provide me with more sugar than I needed at the time. I don't think it's really that cut and dry. Everything should be in moderation so I agree there, but carbs are part of that moderation.
Often though the bacon and chili is prepared by a restaurant and high in sodium and ridiculous quantities of fat, so I don't consider either to be a good add on to a potato.

It's true that we have more resources than these societies but it makes you think. if we had to work to obtain our food (causing the burning of calories) and didn't have as many opportunities to overeat, we wouldn't be in the position we are today, #13 in the world for obesity. it's not just carbs, we overeat on everything. protein, fat, carbs. the only thing we don't overconsume are veggies and water. we can blame macros or we can also blame ourselves.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:00 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, it was the change in wheat specifically that lead to terrible changes for the masses. More processed, higher gluten content, and greater appetite stimulating properties of modern wheat. I never hear of ANYONE "binge eating" fruits and vegetables.

You've never seen me when artichokes are in season.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-18-2017, 03:49 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, you can't. I mean, I honestly have no idea what close moderation means. Maybe you could rewrite it in English, but you can't just eat complex carbs on a keto diet, at least not a real keto diet. A lot of people like to jump on trends and say they're eating keto when they aren't at all though.

No, you have to eliminate many of those. A serving of potatoes has more than the total daily intake of carbs. You basically cannot ever have potatoes or have the in extremely small quantities, as in you can have one small bite of potato.
Same thing with brown rice. You can have six grains but a serving has more than a daily allotment of carbs. It's not something you can eat on a real keto diet. If you're on a fake keto diet, you can eat ice cream.

Exactly why I eat a fair amount of simple carbs. The quick digestion is fantastic when you want to replenish glycogen.

Your body is completely capable of using the nutrients in either simple or complex carbs. It's a non-issue. The maybe extra hour to digest a complex carb isn't the issue. It's that white rice vs brown rice or white bread vs whole wheat bread a lot of the nutritional value gets removed in the processing. It has nothing to do with digestion time. It's just not there in white flour or white rice. If the point of consuming them is the quick absorption, you probably don't care that much about that though.

It's not about simple carbs being bad. It's about eating too much makes people fat. Sugary deserts especially are easy to overeat on, but then so is bacon.
Thank you. great post.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:00 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
OMG, you can overeat on BACON?? Say it's not so...please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss