Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 10:58 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,501,996 times

Advertisements

Title says it all. Post your daily/weekly/monthly whatever progress here. Weight loss or weight maintenance. Please note that 'progress' isn't simply a decreasing number on a scale SO PLEASE POST EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T LOSE ANYTHING. It can be fitness goals, behavioral changes, food choices, fitting into smaller clothes, anything that is an accomplishment. I like to record my progress and refer from time to time, so I find these progress topics helpful.

Also wanted to say,

- please do not start your post with 'I only lost X this week'. 'I only walked a mile before giving up' I don't believe in the word "only". That word can deep six any progress. Turn a negative into a positive.

- the purpose of this thread is encouragement. as such, please don't beat yourself up here.

- there is no such thing as a minor accomplishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 11:09 AM

983 posts, read 1,183,010 times
Will post a 'quickie' as I have always enjoyed all the posts and info riaelise has shared in previous threads ( one of my fav posters )

I am a 56yo male - lived my entire life always HWP up until maybe 10yrs ago when mid life happened - career change etc ...

I am 6'1 and currently 233lbs ( yes still over weight I know ) I have a very muscular athletic build and normal BP and overall exc health and in fantastic shape for my age ( except the extra 20-30lbs of blubber )

I am down 40lbs from a high of 277ish back in Feb this year. I have maintained my current weight after my 40lb loss as a kind of experiment by eating my 'normal style' vs my harsh calorie and carb restricted diet I was on from Feb. thru mid summer

I could have pushed harder and dropped another 10-15-20 lbs and may still do so. I was curious about KEEPING the weight off and wanted to be certain I could hold a steady weight before I lost any more. Kinda like a test drive so to speak

I eat more carbs now and have a few occasional drinks with buddies and yes have a cheater meal or 2 when I see fit and know that alothough it may add a few lbs I will quickly balance the scale and drop the extras off within a few days to a week

I am gearing up for my next push possible in the fall and will try really hard to drop another 10-20 to get closer to my goal of 205-210

This site has given me a ton of helpful ideas as well as support ... so I would like to thank everyone

Old 08-18-2017, 08:10 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
I also vote for riaelise as a new favorite poster of mine.

Nice thread idea

Old 08-18-2017, 08:55 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,506,905 times
Thanks for the thread!!

I am down 21.2 pounds since May. I'm starting a new job on Monday and will be in hotels without kitchens for the next 4 weeks. That scares me! Since I know I will be eating more, I plan to use the hotel treadmill 4 or 5 times a week.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:46 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,235,360 times
Congrats to everyone who has posted! Also, thanks to the OP for giving us all a forum to post our progress.

I'm a 6'2, 21 year old (I'll be 22 on the 29th) male. Last January, I hit my largest recorded weight: 300.4 pounds. After weighing in a few days ago, my weight was 196.2, which is a loss of 104.2 pounds! My goal weight was originally anywhere between 175-180; however, multiple doctors have warned me about going below 190. Since I revised my goal to 190, I am only 6.2 pounds away from reaching where I want to be!

After reaching my final weight, the updates I'll post will be regarding my fat loss/strength training journey. Due to some bad information I received during my journey, I didn't start strength training in earnest until I lost about 85 pounds. As a result, I'm now "skinny-fat" and likely still over 20+% body fat. By next summer, I want to be anywhere between 10-13%.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,910,431 times
In April I decided to put a focused effort on building more activity in my schedule and losing weight. I decided to drop my gym membership since I didn't like how crowded it was and it deterred me, so I decided to expriment with classes. And work harder at getting my 10k steps a day.

At the time I set small goals and gradually increased my goals for numbers of classes per week (any form). My current goal for this month is 5 - I am still working on it. I am trending at 4 per week.

The classes I have been taking the most are Megaformer classes. And I am seeing improvements every week. I was drawn to these since it would help me with flexibility (somewhat), balance and strength training in a circuit format. Good foundational skills for the weightlifting goals I have. Moves that were hard are getting easier, and I am adding more resistance or harder variations or other moves. The changes are most noticeable to me kn my legs.

I am down about 20 pounds since April, and today's version of this weight is smaller than the last time Imwas at this weight 18 months ago.

Best improvements - My legs are way stronger these days and it translated into two places. For history - me and hills were and are not friends.

The class happens to be down the hill from me and I generally walk to and from each class. Uphill on the way home. A few weeks ago I started taking the steeper hill up, and it is way easier than before. I don't even notice till the end of the hill - the 2nd steepest part. There are also lots of random interstreet staircases, and I have been taking them all. And the steeper streets are no lomger my mortal enemies. There are some routes I should try to tackle and test myself on.

And on the theme of hills. For a myriad of reasons I have been biking less this year. .
There are hills all over the place for me, and there is one that I need to take on the way home from basically everywhere. Last year, as I added in the miles the hill got easier and I stopped skipping the last part to avoid getting too sweaty. But it still got my heart pumping, particularly the last couple of blocks.

This winter and spring was too rainy too ride to my errands. Then I got caught up in lots of walking challenges. So bike to errands became a bit more rare.

Over the past few weeks I am back on my bike for the meditative benefits. And the first longer ride I did - a route I had done once - the Bay Bridge Bike Trial. It is really pretty, but the Bridge is up a slight incline into a headwind. This time when I rode it. I was faster, it was easier and I used a higher gear. And the ride home was easier.

Now I am biking consistently at a higher gear, pacing faster and hills are easier. Even though I am riding 1/3 as often as last year. And that last hill on the way home? I am taking it faster, not much cardio impact though I do still get a bit hot. But my legs have more stamina. I jsed to run out of gas for that last hill if I had done a longer or hillier ride. Now I have a lot more buffer.

Once fall hits I am going to tackle the Iron Horse Trail for my longest ride ever! Last year I maxed out at about 24 miles in a day. Next goal is 30 miles.

** I don't have a road bike, I am an urban errand cyclist and my bike has racks, bags and other utility features. I need to be able to get some groceries on the way home too! It is not optimized for performance, climbing or aerodynamics.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:35 AM

Why thank you guys This made me smile after a bleh type of day.

Here's my progress. Lifestyle progress. Today we invited a bunch of coworker friends and their kids. There were Ball park hotdogs, and tons of cookies, cheese puffs, chips, etc. Tantalizing junk food that (let's be honest here) sure tastes good. I didn't eat one bite. I did "binge eat" though....on the fruit and veggie trays. Popping a carrot or kiwi fruit into my mouth was just as effective as popping an iced animal cracker into my mouth. Yup, I reserve my crap eating for the cheat day. All other days, it's clean eating and....I can do it and not feel deprived!

Old 08-22-2017, 10:18 AM

This is the point I'm at now. I'm someone who loves to set, work for, and achieve goals. I like being locked on something and pursuing it. Weight loss is no exception. I've reached several goals (my first being 170 lbs, then 160 lbs, then 150 #). I decided to set a new one, 149 lbs. I am now 148. But this is the situation that I'm faced with, I only have a "loser's" mentality. Stabilization/maintenance is another thing. I'm actually afraid to eat more, but truth is I don't need to lose more. Sure, I like being in the 140s, but I don't need to set any more goals. I can be 160, and still look great because I work out. It's hard for me to transition from losing to maintaining. I also want to put on muscle but that will involve me having to eat more food. As you can see, weight loss is more than just a physical thing, it's mental

Old 08-22-2017, 12:34 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,580,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
This is the point I'm at now. I'm someone who loves to set, work for, and achieve goals. I like being locked on something and pursuing it. Weight loss is no exception. I've reached several goals (my first being 170 lbs, then 160 lbs, then 150 #). I decided to set a new one, 149 lbs. I am now 148. But this is the situation that I'm faced with, I only have a "loser's" mentality. Stabilization/maintenance is another thing. I'm actually afraid to eat more, but truth is I don't need to lose more. Sure, I like being in the 140s, but I don't need to set any more goals. I can be 160, and still look great because I work out. It's hard for me to transition from losing to maintaining. I also want to put on muscle but that will involve me having to eat more food. As you can see, weight loss is more than just a physical thing, it's mental
We're in the same shrinking boat. I officially declared my weight-loss efforts at its end back in June. Since then I'm down another ten pounds.

I increased my calorie intake by roughly 20% and often indulge my whims. Despite that, I still lose approximately a half-pound per week. Admittedly I'm more active now than before I lost the weight and find that part very easy to maintain, even in these dog days of summer. However, I'm definitely no longer calorie-obsessed, just calorie-aware. My wife was outraged the other night when instead of eating a third slice of pizza, I instead just enjoyed the cheese and shunned the dough (said I shouldn't be allowed to eat pizza until I remembered how). But while I was in a cheesy sort of mood, I didn't really want/need the calorie payload of the crust itself.

I looked good when I lost the first thirty pounds, even better with each successive ten-pound loss. And now that I'm down nearly 70 lbs overall, I no longer look better, just very different. But clearly, I'm not starving myself or walking around hungry. I see no reason to change anything at this point seeing how I am very comfortable with what I'm doing and not sacrificing anything at all.

My goal at this point is to re-evaluate things at the end of every month. If I continue to lose, it's only because I still can and continue to burn more calories than I consume.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:58 AM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
22 pounds since the end of April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss