Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:04 PM

990 posts, read 2,557,560 times

Advertisements

THROW AWAY YOUR SCALE.

At some point you will hit a plateau, starve all week, deny yourself things you like, suffer for your goal.

You will likely feel good about yourself, only to get on a scale and find that you lost 1/2 a pound.

This often discourages people who than give up.

Don't fall into this trap, you know when you are losing and when you are making progress in size.

Don't get discouraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 05:11 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,160 times
1. Throw away the scale!! It will make you more obsessed with your weight and can (in some cases) lead to an eating disorder. There's no such thing as a "Magic Number".

2. Eat more fruits and veggies. Cut down on the meat and eat more organic foods for a while.

3. Substitute whole milk for Skim milk, soymilk, rice milk, or 1% milk.

4. Exercise at least 5 times a week. Do use all 3 components for better results and faster weight loss (cardio, strength, and flexibility).

5. Get enough sleep (try to get more than 6 hours of sleep). Try to go to bed early than you normally do.

6. Just stay active throughout the day, as best you can.

7. DRINK WATER!! Drink water throughout the day more than anything else.

8. Cut out the soda, caffeine, and alcohol for a while (they are very high in calories and sugar).

Old 09-22-2009, 05:28 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pureid View Post
What is your best weight loss tip?
Gosh, I have several weight loss tips all coming from different aspects of dieting. First and foremost, make sure the program you are on is a healthy one not some gimick that says you can lose 20 lbs in a week or some absurd diet that decrees you can lose 10 pounds of belly fat in a week. Diet Healthy!!

Diet for the right reasons, i.e., don't diet to please someone else like a nagging boyfriend or a nagging husband. Diet for YOU and diet to get healthy. If you don't diet for the right reasons chances are you will get bored with it, resent the person who is driving you to lose weight and you will not be successful. Get your head right and do the dieting for YOU and no one else.

Nothing is more important than having a strong self esteem. As long as you feel good about who you are and what you want to accomplish a dieting program, a healthy dieting program will work for you.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:35 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
THROW AWAY YOUR SCALE.

At some point you will hit a plateau, starve all week, deny yourself things you like, suffer for your goal.You will likely feel good about yourself, only to get on a scale and find that you lost 1/2 a pound.This often discourages people who than give up.Don't fall into this trap, you know when you are losing and when you are making progress in size.
Don't get discouraged.
I don't think anyone should throw away the scale; perhaps put it away but not throw it away. Weighing once a week is good, anymore than this gets discouraging like you said if your body plateaus.

Plateaus happen for several reasons. Sometimes a dieter will begin an exercise program. When we exercise, our muscles take on water and we can stay at one point weight wise or we can even gain at first. It is a normal reaction to the new activity. Given time and continued working out, the plateau will be broken and weight loss will happen.

When our body plateaus, it is hard not to get discouraged. One thing I have done to "release" a plateau is to make some changes to my diet. I have increased vegetable intake especially green veggies as they will help reduce water weight gain. If you go online, you can find lists of green veggies that will help reduce water weight gain. Watch salt intake as well..we all know about the evils of sodium so pay attention to that as well.

Yes, changes in size do take place even if weight loss does not show on the scale. We lose in inches as well as pounds. I have lost 21 pounds on Weight Watchers in about 10 weeks and have reached a standstill for a week now...I still notice subtle changes in my clothing and my energy levels..it is great!!

Old 09-23-2009, 02:52 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
If it grows, it's okay to eat it.

If it was created in a food lab with a list of ingredients you can't pronounce, don't eat it.

If it's fried, forget it.

If it's carbonated or has high fructose corn syrup, put it back on the shelf.

If it's artificial, run away.

Portion control.

Exercise every day for 20 minutes--doesn't have to be the gym, you can dance, jump rope, skip around the room, do calisthetics, walk or run, or mow the lawn using a hand mower. Just work up a sweat.

Don't keep goodies in the house.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:23 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times
Exercise is important. But don't overdo it! Killing yourself at the gym can backfire.

No sugary drinks at all! I don't even drink juice. I'd rather just eat the fruit.

Allow yourself to cheat once in awhile. But don't go hog wild.

Get angry at your self for being fat! I mean really angry! I did it and it worked!

Be patient. Slow weight loss is more successfull. Don't get discouraged!

Old 09-28-2009, 08:34 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
1. NEVER EVER DIET. Just have a sensible healthy nutritional plan. Eat good healthy food.

2. Wear tight/form fitting clothes when you workout. This way you can see how you look and it should encourage/energize you to workout harder. Especially if youre fat and even if you look good it'll still motivate you.

3. Exercise at high intensity levels. This includes both cardio and weights. Lift heavy (YES Especially if you are a woman) and go harder/faster on your elliptical/treadmill/outdoor runs than you go for duration.

4. Really cut back on your sugar intake. No soda, no fruit drinks (yes they contain a LOT of added sugar), less sugar in your coffee/tea, and eat no more than the USDA recommended daily allowance of fruit. YES fruit has sugar so dont us it as "snack food" because you think its healthy.

5. Workout with your partner/spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend if you have problems motivating yourself. This makes it more fun and you can encourage and motivate each other.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I agree with the fruit comment. Fruit is a necessary part of a healthy diet but has a lot more sugar hence a lot more calories than vegetables do. Fruit should be eaten in moderation; it is not a "free" food.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:02 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I agree with the fruit comment. Fruit is a necessary part of a healthy diet but has a lot more sugar hence a lot more calories than vegetables do. Fruit should be eaten in moderation; it is not a "free" food.
You are so right. I should have broken that part out as its own bullet point.

Rep points.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:12 AM

36 posts, read 55,083 times
first no processed sugars no fructose and no diet sodas,,second if it come off the shelf ready to open and eat it does not go in the cart,,nothing breaded,,eat steak pork chicken and fish fresh greens lots of vinegar on things and lemon juice,,no cold drinks only tap hot or teas,,raw honey in cool teas,,start walking and drink only room temp water and lemon juice park at the end of the lot and walk do the stairs,,sweat do a sauna do an internal cleansing of parasites,,yes ,,worms,, we almost all have them and they create cravings for sweets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss