Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2018, 08:56 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Yes. That works too. But limiting sugar/carbs is a great way to retrain your palate to be comfortable with LESS sugar/carbs, which is how to maintain the diet. As does eating more fats which makes people feel fuller longer.

Tell someone who is just starting out on a diet that they can eat cookies and donuts and candy and loaded baked potatoes and french fries and they will fail. Every time.

And yes, in the "good old days" people were more active. Yet the suggestion of 2 to 3 servings of grains per day surely helped, dontcha think?? Do you agree with the food pyramid's 6-11 servings of grains? That's 6 bowls of cereal, 6 baked potatoes a DAY.

Do you realistically think that someone could NOT gain weight eating 6 baked potatoes a DAY? 6 slices of bread? 6 muffins? 6 bagels? Each DAY?? And that's the LOW end.

So in today's world less exercise, less movement, and more .... sugar. Which is what was suggested by our government's food pyramid. Why say people need more sugar/carbs when it is FACT that people are less active? So more sugar + less exercise = more fat people.

I don't understand why people get so h-ll bent offended by the idea that ... gasp ... CUTTING BACK ON SUGAR/CARBS is a proven way to lose weight. Because it cuts empty calories clear out of the diet. And that's a BAD thing???

If you don't like it, DON'T DO IT. No one is making you. So why do you care what helps other people lose weight?
I'm not "offended". Why would I be offended if I've lost and maintained eating carbs? and yes, my diet is probably 6-11 servings of grains per day when you consider that a serving isn't all that large. A serving is 3/4 cup of pasta, 1/2 cup of rice, 1 small baked potato. Cereal is 1/2-3/4 cup. A New York style bagel is at least four carb servings. A muffin is also several servings as well. And sorry, I don't think a muffin is in the same category as a nutrient packed baked potato that is 120 calories, but provides vitamins and fiber.
As for six slices of bread? Well that's at most 660 calories. That means you have seven hundred calories to use on other foods to round out your diet.

I lost by maintaining a caloric deficit - caused by eating less overall and moving more. I scaled back portion sizes, including carbs and meat. The best diet is the one that you can stick to. There are many people who don't care for low carb diets and they don't have to do that if they don't want to. My issue is the constant battle cry of carbs are the devil they make us fat. Which is no different than "fat is the devil!" how about MODERATION?

And FYI, I mostly eat quality carbs - whole grains, beans, lentils. My guilty pleasure is white rice, which I eat 3/4 cup of daily (wow no weight gain). How you lump those in with such things as muffins, cookies, and donuts is beyond me. Oh yeah, they all get turned to glucose. Difference is those aforementioned grains have fiber and b-vitamins where all a donut contributes is calories. it's not the same, at all. same with fruit. it contains simple sugars but it also contains vitamins and fiber.

And i'm well aware that "if I don't like it, don't do it". I didn't, so that's not news. Whatever it takes for people to lose weight is fine by me, but what's not ok is to wield a sword and proclaim that X way is the best method to lose when it's not. Man has liked/craved sweet things since the beginning of time. My point is you don't have to change your palate/appreciation of sweets to lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 09:07 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm not "offended". Why would I be offended if I've lost and maintained eating carbs? and yes, my diet is probably 6-11 servings of grains per day when you consider that a serving isn't all that large. A serving is 3/4 cup of pasta, 1/2 cup of rice, 1 small baked potato. Cereal is 1/2-3/4 cup. A New York style bagel is at least four carb servings. A muffin is also several servings as well. And sorry, I don't think a muffin is in the same category as a nutrient packed baked potato that is 120 calories, but provides vitamins and fiber.
As for six slices of bread? Well that's at most 660 calories. That means you have seven hundred calories to use on other foods to round out your diet.

I lost by maintaining a caloric deficit - caused by eating less overall and moving more. I scaled back portion sizes, including carbs and meat. The best diet is the one that you can stick to. There are many people who don't care for low carb diets and they don't have to do that if they don't want to. My issue is the constant battle cry of carbs are the devil they make us fat. Which is no different than "fat is the devil!" how about MODERATION?

And FYI, I mostly eat quality carbs - whole grains, beans, lentils. My guilty pleasure is white rice, which I eat 3/4 cup of daily (wow no weight gain). How you lump those in with such things as muffins, cookies, and donuts is beyond me. Oh yeah, they all get turned to glucose. Difference is those aforementioned grains have fiber and b-vitamins where all a donut contributes is calories. it's not the same, at all. same with fruit. it contains simple sugars but it also contains vitamins and fiber.

And i'm well aware that "if I don't like it, don't do it". I didn't, so that's not news. Whatever it takes for people to lose weight is fine by me, but what's not ok is to wield a sword and proclaim that X way is the best method to lose when it's not. Man has liked/craved sweet things since the beginning of time. My point is you don't have to change your palate/appreciation of sweets to lose weight.
From what you have said, I would bet your carbs are below 100 a day. Have you ever tracked them? Track them daily and see where you fall. And rice and donuts are processed the exact. same. way. in your body. Your body turns them both into glucose. They are both sugar. If you are eating some vegetables, you don't need fiber from grains. At all. Sugar is what causes bathroom issues although the industry will NEVER admit that.

And I have NEVER said this is the best way. That is YOUR perception of what I have written. Not what I wrote. Because you don't like the phrase "low-carb" although I suspect it is what you are doing without even realizing it.

3/4 cup rice is 33 carbs. What other carbs are you eating? I would bet that you are probably eating a calorie-controlled low-carb diet ... and not even realizing it.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:07 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Please explain how this erroneous...
I did, and rialese expanded on it.

Desserts being lumped in with healthy grains and legumes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-14-2018, 09:19 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
To the OP: These days all diet questions seem to turn into debates about carbs/low carbs/no carbs/good carbs/bad carbs. Different things work for different people.

For me, counting calories was oppressive and depressing. I've never had much weight to lose, but counting calories I lost it and put it right back on when I stopped counting.

I've had much better results following a "clean eating" plan where you can eat what you want but eliminate processed food, white flour and processed sugar. It clearly reduces the amount of calories you consume, but what I like about it is that I don't get very hungry, which is the opposite of what happened when I counted calories. My husband has gone even further and is on the paleo diet, which also eliminates dairy, legumes and all grains. He lost 25 pounds and has kept if off and says he doesn't get hungry and will never go back to eating any other way.

I suggest you try some different ways of eating for 3 or 4 weeks at a time and see what happens. Are you losing weight? Do you feel good? Do you have energy? Are you cranky? If it's working, stick to it. If it's not, try something else.

Last edited by Marlow; 02-14-2018 at 10:17 AM..

Old 02-14-2018, 09:34 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
I'm not. I'm explaining it to you because you seem completely offended that the suggestion to CUT SUGAR to someone who is looking for dieting advice is somehow wrong. /shrug/

And no where did I say that eating salads is the way to diet. My point was that you seem to think that overeating sugar is not what adds weight to people, that overeating salad does. Which is wrong. People who are fat, are fat because they have overeaten sugar/carbs. I don't know any fat people that have gotten fat by eating vegetables and salads to excess calories every day. None.

The simplest way to ELIMINATE extra calories? Reduce SUGAR/CARBS. And I'm sure you will tell me that that statement is wrong, too. Go figure.
I think people are overweight is because they eat too many calories. I am sure a large proportion of those calories come from junky type foods.

Look, I get your point. Eliminating simple carbs is a good idea. I think anyone who wants to lose weight and be healthy should focus on lean proteins, healthy fats, whole grains, and vegetables and some fruit. So basically that is lowering sugar/carbs. Quality calories as opposed to empty calories. What I am objecting to is that this is the ONLY way to lose weight. Promoting something as the only or the best way is problematic.

I like ice cream, sourdough bread, pasta, and wine. I did not give up any of those and I lost weight at an average of 1.75 pounds a month. My husband and I go out to eat quite a bit and we attend a lot of social gatherings. I adjusted my eating and work outs to accommodate my lifestyle. That is what worked best for ME.
I don't think it is healthy to demonize sugar or rice, or pasta, etc...
When people are serious about losing weight and are actually ready to put in the work they will find what works for them hopefully without the guilt that they are eating the wrong way.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:35 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I did, and rialese expanded on it.

Desserts being lumped in with healthy grains and legumes.
Since when is white flour a healthy grain?

Old 02-14-2018, 09:37 AM

1,201 posts, read 802,985 times
Whole30 for six week (followed it to a T, including no weighing) then Paleo. No hunger. No counting calories. Just eat healthy, non-processed foods, healthy fats, no gluten, no added sugars.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:43 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Are you REALLY trying to say that the majority of fat people in the US are fat because they eat salads? And that cookies, cakes, fries, chips, potatoes, breads, sugar is NOT the MAIN CAUSE of obesity? Do you really believe that? Honestly?
I don't think she said any such thing. What makes you fat is eating too much food, when I go on a diet I eat the same foods I always do, I just eat less of them. I don't like candy or soda but I love bread, pasta, rice and butter. If I quit eating those and only ate salad or cauliflower I would not be able to stay on the diet.

Calories are calories whether they are found in salad dressing, cookies or a can of soda.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:53 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Quote:
Q1.Anyone know people who became overweight by eating too many calorically dense salads?
Yeah, me neither.

Q2. Anyone know people who became overweight by eating too many callorically dense sugar-laden foods?
Yep, me too. Pretty much all of them.

Reducing sugar(carb)-intake to lose weight works for millions of people. Why are you taking this as a personal insult??? You don't want to do it, so don't do it. Moving on.
I guarantee you, eating salads from The Cheesecake Factory every day will lead to weight gain. If one person consumes 3,500 calories per day all, from salad, versus someone who consumes 1,200 calories per day, all from jelly beans, the salad eater is going to gain weight and the jelly bean eater is going to lose weight.

It is entirely a numbers game and every single diet only succeeds if the numbers work.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:57 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

That is how you lose weight, by eating less and moving more. I eat a lot of carbs, I'm 71 my BMI is 21 and my fasting blood sugar ranges from 72-76.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss