Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2018, 11:18 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,259,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I used to love legumes, especially red kidney beans in salads and chili, chickpeas in soup, black eyed peas with cornbread, and red beans with rice. But the long and short of it is ~for me, they cause gas and other digestive issues, they lead to cravings and weight gain. I don't need those problems, I'm better off without legumes, and after being without them for many months, I don't miss them.
That's interesting. So you really think legumes increase appetite? My mouth is watering just thinking about chickpeas. What a mess this is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 11:24 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
That's interesting. So you really think legumes increase appetite? My mouth is watering just thinking about chickpeas. What a mess this is.
Eh I eat beans all of the time and it does the opposite. They fill me up. Go figure...*shrug*

Old 02-15-2018, 09:04 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Beans are so nutritious and full of fiber. They fill me up and I would never dream of giving them up because some author preaching his pseudo science says they are bad so he can sell books to the gullible.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:25 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Eh I eat beans all of the time and it does the opposite. They fill me up. Go figure...*shrug*
Me too, I cook beans all the time calorie count is low and fill factor is very high!

Old 02-15-2018, 10:16 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm beginning to think they fill me up so much, they bloat my belly. I'm off them for a while, maybe long while..will sneak some in when I get the urge.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:28 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Don't consume wheat, lose more weight. VERY STRAIGHT-FORWARD!

Old 02-16-2018, 08:34 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I lost 20 pounds in the last 3 months by eating most everything I want, but not much of it. Granted I spent 11 days in the hospital in the fall with pancreatitis and had to also have my gallbladder removed. I left the hospital 6 pounds thinner and I just decided it was a good time to make some changes.

As soon as I feel satisfied I stop eating when I used to just finish everything on my plate because it tasted good or it was there. If I have a big lunch, I eat a small dinner and vice versa but I never eat anything past 8 p.m. I also don't eat junk food and I allow myself one square of a Ghirardelli candy if I'm really having a sweet craving. I never drink soda of any kind anymore.

I'm almost at my perfect weight for my height and now that I added some walking to my routine I expect I will hit my goal pretty soon. The biggest problem I have now is that nothing fits me. I just took 4 pairs of pants to be altered and it's costing $22.75 per pant!

Old 02-16-2018, 02:51 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I lost 20 pounds in the last 3 months by eating most everything I want, but not much of it. Granted I spent 11 days in the hospital in the fall with pancreatitis and had to also have my gallbladder removed. I left the hospital 6 pounds thinner and I just decided it was a good time to make some changes.

As soon as I feel satisfied I stop eating when I used to just finish everything on my plate because it tasted good or it was there. If I have a big lunch, I eat a small dinner and vice versa but I never eat anything past 8 p.m. I also don't eat junk food and I allow myself one square of a Ghirardelli candy if I'm really having a sweet craving. I never drink soda of any kind anymore.

I'm almost at my perfect weight for my height and now that I added some walking to my routine I expect I will hit my goal pretty soon. The biggest problem I have now is that nothing fits me. I just took 4 pairs of pants to be altered and it's costing $22.75 per pant!

I too lost 30 lbs in rehabs with the knee issue and the loss was due to pain meds and loss of appetite and stomach upset from the drugs. I want to keep that weight off.

My friend lost her gallbladder and part of her stomach and pancreas and has lost TOO MUCH weight and can't keep it on.

A poster mentioned cereal for breakfast, I have NOT touched cereals for years, eliminating a lot of wheats.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:28 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I'm copying this down! I don't know, however, if I can live without potatoes, legumes and grains. I have RealLemon and enjoy it. I just started drinking water with cider vinegar. With a little honey-stevia in it. I'm thinking to get those little containers that measure out portions of food so I can see how much I'm really eating each day.
Changing to eating 2 meals a day with no snacks in between was a gradual process for me. It took several weeks before I could skip the snacks and not feel hungry. The key was making sure I ate enough protein and healthy fats at meals. It took awhile for my body to adjust to not having any starchy foods.

The first thing I did was make sure I got ample protein and at least 3 (preferably more) servings of green&yellow veggies a day. Then I'd add in enough fat, mostly healthy ones, to make sure I felt full. I was putting olive oil or chopped nuts or sliced avocados on everything - still do but I also indulge in kerrygold butter and full fat yogurt when I can find it.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:33 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
It's math. I don't eat more than 2000 calories a day. I weight myself everyday. If I'm steady, I may cheat and eat extra, but if I inch up on the scale, I trim back to 1800 calories a day to get back down. I have been between 128 and 134lbs for the last 25 years by following this. Math. Just math. And willpower. I eat WHATEVER on earth I want, but I watch my portions to keep my calories in check. I use the MyFitnessPal app to easily count calories, every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss